What's new

Todd's 50-54 Weight Loss Plan - 25 lbs Down Already

Gents, I wanted to pass along a bit of good news. At least to me! About two and a half months ago I came to a conclusion and a decision; I was as heavy as I had ever been, as unfit as I had ever been, and I was tired of it was going to do something about it.

Now before we go too much further let me explain the odd title of the thread. When I was approaching 50 I made a promise to myself to lose fifty pounds by fifty years of age. The 50-50 plan. As you have surmised, I missed the target by a...bit. When I first came up with the idea I weighed between 225-230 lbs. 16-1/2 stone. Much too much by any account for a six foot man. Well, unless you are a muscle laden bodybuilder and I am most certainly not. So I made a half-arsed, lame attempt and quickly fell into disrepair of the body.

Then about a year and a half ago I realised I was putting on weight. A lot of it actually. So in mid July I jumped on the scales for the fist time in years. I feared the worst and was not let down. 260lbs! What the...? I have never even approached this kind of weight before and it was only the fact that my blood work was as bad as ever and my stamina and fitness was non-existent that drove me to it. I told my wife then and there this.was.going.to.stop. And so far, it has.

I started off by simply staying completely away from restaurant food. Fast food or otherwise. And on the rare occasion we did eat that type of food I only allowed myself a TINY bit of it. I don't like using too much hyperbole but the impact was almost instant. I would say in the first two to three weeks I knocked nearly ten pounds off. I don't really know because I refused to get on a scale. People get too hung up on pounds when they need to focus on diet and fitness. Let the ruddy pounds look out for themselves. They will, and they did.

I could tell from the way my clothes fit I was burning off pounds. The wife was complimentary about it and the guys at work told me the could see the difference. Particularly in facial features. I endeavoured to stay off the scales for a couple of months just to see how it went. The first week of September we joined Planet Fitness for two reasons; it was close and it is very reasonably priced. I started with their 12 minute abs workout and a few sessions with their 30 minute workout area. Then I trundled over to the resistance machines. More like slunk over there. Talk about a fish out of water. There were guys there from 25-50 who were obviously in MUCH better physical condition than I was. The first few sessions were really tough. Particularly the leg curls. Your hamstring lets you know how out of shape you are.

Fast forward to September 15 or so. I stepped on the scales. 238lbs. Okay, that's more like it. 22lbs down in two months. I liked it but want(ed) more. I weighed two days ago; 233/4. So I have knocked an honest 25lbs off my frame in a bit over two months and gained a load of new stamina and fitness. I hit the elliptical trainer for 30 hard minutes every morning and back it up with weights in the evening. Upper body one day, legs the next. I don't ignore the lower back either. I usually hit the 12 minute abs workout before doing upper body to get a good stretch going. Those shoulder presses are murder on me. You don't realise how much work pushing stuff over your head really is til you lift some weights.

So far I cannot help but think the daily cardio is a big help. I use the "random" programme and have quickly progressed to level 6. The machine says I am averaging between 6.4-7mph and about 3.25 miles per session. Calorie burning is estimated at 365 nominally. Heart rate is usually 140-150 and I know that is considered a bit too high but it doesn't feel like I am working hard enough when I lower the effort to get it down. Good/bad?

Weights. Now this is all new to me. My initial sense is rather than go heavier and heavier all the time, increase reps and sets. In just three weeks I can already push around a LOT more than I could when I started. However, when I feel the load lightening I increase the reps by a set rather than increase the weight too much. I started with two sets of twelve and have quickly pushed it to three sets of twelve. Good/bad idea? Legs are the easiest for me. I have always had very good leg strength and do not tend to injury. Still, I don't need a pulled hammy or joint damage. The toughest leg movement so far are the curls. The first two or thee times the hamstring was howling! Feel free to make suggestions about the weight training. I don't need injuries.

Okay lads, long post but I wanted to pass this along for the guys who are struggling with weight gain. I also understand there folks out there with real medical issues like diabetes, thyroid, and metabolism issues who should be consulting with a physician or trainer before doing any of this. And for goodness sake don't take my story as some great way of doing things. I jumped in out of pure disgust with myself and more than a bit of anger. How did I let it come to this I thought? I can say that simply staying away from junky food and limiting portions of every day food will help tremendously. So now I venture on in my 50-54 plan. I will be 54 in May and honestly hope to be well under 200 lbs by then. Wish me luck.

The most important thing with weights is to be 100pct sure of your technique before putting any significant poundage on.

Generally a beginner would be doing 3 sets of 8-10 reps, each to failure, adjusting the weight as needed. You can get fancier as you get more comfortable, but think of that as the starting point.

And give yourself both days and weeks off occasionally, recuperation tube is as important as exercising time!

Well done Todd!

I'm about to embark on another crack myself since my half hearted attempts took me from 225...to 240.
Also low 50s, also 6'.

Planet Fitness starts again tomorrow. I hear you on the restaurant thing - I need to lay off that.

I'm 50 and discovered weight loss is 90% nutrition, you simply can't outrun the fork no matter how hard you try.

I'm 5'9" and weighed 145 (too skinny) in my twenties, when I turned 50 back in April I was 215 and that was enough for me. I was a huge soda addict and quit, I didn't stop there and decided to quit sugar as much as possible (it's nearly impossible to avoid sugar all together). That means no more candy, cookies, cake etc, now I get maybe 10-15 gm of processed sugar a day at most. That alone made me feel tons better.

I set a goal of 170 back in April to hit on Oct 8th, I'm now at 177 so will miss my goal, but I don't feel bad about missing it. The best thing is seeing people I hadn't seen in a few months that were blown away by how much better I looked, comments like "wow, you've lost a lot of weight and look great" make you feel awesome.

I started hitting plateaus in September, so the last month has been really frustrating. I seem to be in a whoosh phase, don't lose anything for 2 or 3 weeks, then lose 2-3 pounds overnight. I've been running a calorie deficit since April so I've backed off and done some refeeds and eating up to maintenance calorie levels the last few weeks. Lots of bro science out there so it can be hard to find quality info on plateaus, but the Minnesota starvation experiment yielded some rather interesting findings.

The funny thing is it's really not hard to do, just takes discipline with counting calories, always using a food scale and sticking with it.
I do cardio on an elliptical and TRX at home, and my job involves a lot of lifting, 20,000 pounds in a day is not uncommon to lift at work.

I can average a HR of 130 (max 146) during a 60 minute elliptical workout, as far as your HR just listen to your body and keep up the great work.

The most important thing with weights is to be 100pct sure of your technique before putting any significant poundage on.

Generally a beginner would be doing 3 sets of 8-10 reps, each to failure, adjusting the weight as needed. You can get fancier as you get more comfortable, but think of that as the starting point.

And give yourself both days and weeks off occasionally, recuperation tube is as important as exercising time!

Sounds like good advise. Now when you say 3 sets of 8-10 reps to failure, are you speaking of failure during each set or at the end of the three sets? And already I have figured out if your muscle group is failing to stop right there. As I mentioned, the shoulder press(both overhead and straight away) are really tough. I am surprised at how little weight it takes to exhaust that muscle group.

Well done Todd!

I'm about to embark on another crack myself since my half hearted attempts took me from 225...to 240.
Also low 50s, also 6'.

Planet Fitness starts again tomorrow. I hear you on the restaurant thing - I need to lay off that.

Haggises, that sounds just like me. Lay off that fast food and it makes a huge difference. Within a week I noticed that not loading up on heavy foods made me feel a lot different and better. And honestly, after a few weeks you can hardly gut that stuff. My wife brought a burger home for me a few weeks ago and I could barely down it. I also think as you reach your low to mid 50s your appetite changes a bit. I notice I do not crave food as much as I used to.

I'm 50 and discovered weight loss is 90% nutrition, you simply can't outrun the fork no matter how hard you try.

I'm 5'9" and weighed 145 (too skinny) in my twenties, when I turned 50 back in April I was 215 and that was enough for me. I was a huge soda addict and quit, I didn't stop there and decided to quit sugar as much as possible (it's nearly impossible to avoid sugar all together). That means no more candy, cookies, cake etc, now I get maybe 10-15 gm of processed sugar a day at most. That alone made me feel tons better.

I set a goal of 170 back in April to hit on Oct 8th, I'm now at 177 so will miss my goal, but I don't feel bad about missing it. The best thing is seeing people I hadn't seen in a few months that were blown away by how much better I looked, comments like "wow, you've lost a lot of weight and look great" make you feel awesome.

I started hitting plateaus in September, so the last month has been really frustrating. I seem to be in a whoosh phase, don't lose anything for 2 or 3 weeks, then lose 2-3 pounds overnight. I've been running a calorie deficit since April so I've backed off and done some refeeds and eating up to maintenance calorie levels the last few weeks. Lots of bro science out there so it can be hard to find quality info on plateaus, but the Minnesota starvation experiment yielded some rather interesting findings.

The funny thing is it's really not hard to do, just takes discipline with counting calories, always using a food scale and sticking with it.
I do cardio on an elliptical and TRX at home, and my job involves a lot of lifting, 20,000 pounds in a day is not uncommon to lift at work.

I can average a HR of 130 (max 146) during a 60 minute elliptical workout, as far as your HR just listen to your body and keep up the great work.

Scotty, I think you are just about dead on in your comments. I know it is not popular with the tv fitness people and all that sort but look at my case. I lost most of my initial weight before I started hitting the gym. You simply have to cut the food intake. And at 230 plus pounds...I realise I am still very much overweight.

Now does working out at the gym make a difference in how your body feels and is shaped? Oh yes. I would say most definitely yes. Already I can feel a hardness to my musculature that was never there before. And I am hoping this will help with the plateaus. Those plateaus are really the devil that brings down most weight loss endeavours. I noticed after the initial burn down of about twenty pounds in six weeks or so, these last four have seen a four to six pound reduction. Quite a lot of difference. And I also noted that over the last two weeks I have had some more 'oops' days with food. Back to form for me. I will NOT get that started again. But overall it comes down to diet. And just for clarity's sake, I have not given up on the demon foods as I call them. I still eat pasta and bread. Just not nearly so much of it. I have found if I get off to a good start in the mornings by eating light, I can stick to it all day.

And your case is inspiring. 215 to 177 in six and a half months. When you consider that is about 20-25 percent of your body weight, that is darned good. Nearly 40 pounds. That is nearly seven pounds per month average. Well played.

Thanks Phog,
I lost 9 pounds a month for 3 months straight, then it slowed down, then I wasn't careful with food, then I didn't work out as much and that led me to a plateau. My problem is I need to eat at least 1,100 to 1,200 calories at work because it's so physical, and now that I've lost so much I have to ride the line between eating just enough, or completely bonking at work (happened last week) and bonking at work is not a good place to be. I still eat bread, pizza, meat, etc, I really just try to hit my macros and stay within my calorie goal, my diet is far from healthy, I describe it as healthier than before. I avoid sugar because I was a huge addict and it's easier to just not have it, I also think it will be soon learned that it's a huge heath problem, fat in not the enemy.

I will say all the work on endurance/conditioning has made a huge difference, I have some accounts at work that are extremely tough physically and they are much easier now. I've also worked on strength, especially my core so I'm sure I've picked up at least some muscle in the process.

90 days to New Year. Aim to drop 20 and will be in friendly competition with the missus. At least I hope it's friendly.

Each set should be done to failure..... and failure doesn't mean that you "can't do another rep", it means that you "can do another rep with perfect form". Once you start compromising form to do a lift, that set is over!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Excellent suggestions!

Well, no more weight off but I haven't put any on either.

The weights advise is good. I added just a bit of weight, reduced reps to ten and went from there. I absolutely get it now what you mean by going to failure. When your weak arm starrs shaking, back off. I think this will go a long way toward avoiding injury.

I can already tell when to back off. I overdid the leg presses yesterday and can tell I hit it too hard. Should have backed the weight off. No damage but I will likely skip one day of leg work to let it settle down.

So I still do 30 minutes of hard cardio daily on the elliptical and it doesn't seem to over stress me at all. That is a good way to start the day. I will do the upper body weights right after but the legs I do in the evening. I tried weights back to back after the cardio but quickly realised the leg muscles were a bit too tired for good effectiveness and comfort. Hey, I am 53 not 23!

okay gentleman, I am hitting the wall when it comes to the weight loss. I dropped the 25 pounds and kept it off but I'm not dropping any more. I understand that you will have plateaus and not to let yourself fall off of the wagon by saying that this just won't work anymore. I certainly know better than to do that but I wondered if there was a way to break the cycle so you can start burning fat again?

I am still doing a pretty hard 30 minute cardio routine 6 days a week and I am also alternating upper and lower body workouts with weights as well. Any suggestions?

okay gentleman, I am hitting the wall when it comes to the weight loss. I dropped the 25 pounds and kept it off but I'm not dropping any more. I understand that you will have plateaus and not to let yourself fall off of the wagon by saying that this just won't work anymore. I certainly know better than to do that but I wondered if there was a way to break the cycle so you can start burning fat again?

I am still doing a pretty hard 30 minute cardio routine 6 days a week and I am also alternating upper and lower body workouts with weights as well. Any suggestions?

Did you see your doctor and get a total work up before attempting the weight loss. They could hook you up with a nutritionist and a weight loss plan and/or determine if some medical issues may be obstacles to your weight loss.

Example: Buddy of mine was found "pre-diabetic", whatever that means, and was able to meet his weight loss goals with treatment.

Last edited:
Tony, I hit the sawbones office at least once a year for a 'well man' exam. Mostly fine. They complain about two things; weight and cholesterol ratio. Funny thing is my cholesterol usually doesn't go over 200 and the HDL is always upper 30s to mid 40s. They still ***** about the ratio. No high blood pressure or triglycerides.

The doc just keeps recommending mostly what I am doing. I have thought about the juice cleansing the guy on Sick, Fat, and Nearly Dead documentary tried. Just to jump start things. One thing I have noticed is I have thickened my arms a bit since starting with weigjts a few weeks ago. Not much but it is there. So some progress but not in weight.

Top Bottom