What's new

TOBS cream vs. puck

The TOBs cream is great stuff, especially the peppermint. I find the soap to be OK, but not in the same league as DR Harris. It takes more work to lather than Harris, it's not as slick, and the post-shave feel not as good.

Maybe they've reforumlated it but all three TOBS pucks I've used lathered and performed every bit as good as DR Harris, in fact the sandalwood puck I'm using produced as good if not a better lather then what I usually get from DR. Harris and MWF soaps.

The last TOBS shaving soap I used was a few years back now (not sure what the current formulation is like). I remember it being a very hard soap (probably the hardest I've used), and needed a lot more time for loading than other soaps but produced just as good lather as other soaps I've used.

I have both the TOBS sandalwood cream and soap puck. The cream lathers up slightly easier and feels slightly more slick. However my face often feels warm after a shave, so slight irritation.

With the soap I bloom with warm water and soak my brush while having a shower. This makes lathering earlier and I find the soap works well. I have no sign of irritation or a warm feeling face. In fact this soap is my go to and it lasts way longer than creams and coaps.

I have a number of TOBS creams and like them all. The only TOBS hard soap I have is the Sandalwood. Scent of the soap is a little lighter than the cream to me. However, I have no problem with the hard soaps's performance. It's hard, so it takes longer to lather and you need to load enough, but if you do, the performance is every bit as good as the cream. I've had no issues at all with the soap.

Maybe they've reforumlated it but all three TOBS pucks I've used lathered and performed every bit as good as DR Harris, in fact the sandalwood puck I'm using produced as good if not a better lather then what I usually get from DR. Harris and MWF soaps.

Possibly, I did post that four years ago.

TOBS cream was my first ever shaving soap purchased in the local mall's knife shop years ago. Immediately realized that milled pucks lasted longer and have never bought a TOBS product since. But now I'm eyeing the Tobacco cream.

Top Bottom