What's new

Tobacco spreadsheet

I searched for this without a lot of joy; does any one know a spreadsheet or data base for keeping track of one’s cellar?

I know that therevused to be a online cellar, with a database, but I can’t find it - and as I recall, it was cumbersome. I really need to start keeping track of ages and quantities...the latest Pease discount at SP didn’t exactly help.

Thoughts? Ideally, I would love to have a database of most tobacs, that by entering the first couple of letters, the title is entered? Any thoughts?

Thanks-

B

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Tobacco cellar works pretty well for me, and all the hard work is at the beginning when entering your info, which come to think of it, would be a pain even with a spread sheet.

Tobacco cellar has drop downs for most popular blends, and you can add your own for the more obscure ones.

The only down side is the possibility of the site going down or your info getting corrupted. It does have an option for back up too.

If you go on to the site your can look up people by username to take a gander at their cellar.

I didn’t go through the trouble of adding prices for mine...
24B354DB-B1DC-4D2D-8488-6758BEF83D0C.png

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
As Kentos mentioned, TobaccoCellar is probably the best. It might not be flashy, but it's accurate and straightforward. Many of the B&B BLers use TC.

I have been using The Pipe Tool. It is ok but I'm eventually going to change to TC. Just too lazy as it takes a lot of time. I have 389 different tobaccos and over 200 pounds in my south cellar. Last time it took me the better part of a week to get everything entered. I may start with north cellar. So far I don't have anything entered or any idea how much is in there. Distance between cellars is 1919 miles.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have been using The Pipe Tool. It is ok but I'm eventually going to change to TC. Just too lazy as it takes a lot of time. I have 389 different tobaccos and over 200 pounds in my south cellar. Last time it took me the better part of a week to get everything entered. I may start with north cellar. So far I don't have anything entered or any idea how much is in there. Distance between cellars is 1919 miles.

Wow must be stocked with some unobtanium!

Hmmm...I wonder how difficult it would be to make it flashy and easier, an app maybe with scanning capability? QR codes would be nice too?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Hmmm...I wonder how difficult it would be to make it flashy and easier, an app maybe with scanning capability? QR codes would be nice too?

Being able to scan UPC codes for would be killer.

I have a simple excel spreadsheet that I built to track all my pipe smoking purchases.
It is nothing fancy but it meets my needs. A main tab for all purchases with columns for date, vendor, pipes, tobacco, accessories, s/h, comments. Each category has a price column and tobacco has weight in oz.
There are other tabs for the tobacco cellar, cellar sorted alphabetically, number of individual tobaccos, stuff I’ve given away. There is one tab that calculates how many years of tobacco is cellared given certain smoking assumptions, that was just for fun.
The cellar tabs keeps totals of oz, pounds, cost/oz, overall costs, number of tins/jars.

It isn’t too much work if I keep up as I go. I’ve thought about additional tabs for pipe info but haven’t gone there yet. I suppose a data base might make more sense but I’m more comfortable with spreadsheets. I keep a copy in cloud storage so I can access it from any device.

I’m happy to share it if you are interested.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
200 hundred pounds in just one cellar? Wow.

Another vote for tobaccocellar. Definitely not flashy - the user interface is straight out of 1990 - but it gets the job done.

Interesting; yes I would like to see that spreadsheet!

I will take a look at TC, it looks interesting. I don’t have 200 lbs, but I have more that I can keep up with...

Another vote for TobaccoCellar.com. I tried PipeTool but I prefer the cellar. It is a great tool for the BL Secret Santa too! :) Yep. You have been warned. I spy on your tobacco cellars with envy and elation when I find blends that are lacking in your cellars. My secret is out now.

I keep Access databases for many items, tobacco is one. I don't track # of tins though, just brands, tobacco, ratings, etc. Could add it in, but then would have to keep it updated...

Has anyone figured out in Tobacco Cellar how to group brands or blends (e.g: alphabetically together - all GLPease together, all MacB together, or by date oldest to newest)? Any spreadsheet can do that...but I can figure out how to do it on TC? Any body?

I see it now; I couldn’t get to that view...but pressed everything, and found it, thanks!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I also use Tobacco Cellar. As you have seen, it's little more than a spreadsheet, but the drop-down options help with entry. Being able to back up to a CSV file ensures an easy recovery should bad things happen.

This program hasn’t been updated (blends) in 7 years or something...

Still, I am halfway through cataloging, I think...203 tins and counting, Bell jars to follow...

Top Bottom