What's new

Vintage Scores - April 2023 (photo heavy)

Gents,

Please allow me to share some recent acquisition joy, and - as always - request your advice. Apologies in advance for the length of the post.
Hit an antique store on the way home from work. No must-have deals on pipes or shaving gear today. Oh well, it was fun looking around. Grumbling to myself about the price of ol' rusty, empty tins of Edgeworth, SWR, Hand and Half, etc., was stunned to notice 4 of the +/-50 tins were FULL. Two of those lids were only slightly ajar, so I peeked. The inner bags were intact/sealed, smelled A-Mazing, and one still had a wee bit of springiness. Yet...the prices were the same as the empty tins! As I was paying (and getting a quantity discount), the owners also seemed surprised that the tins were full. Back home, wiped them down with a damp rag (just to dust them off), took some photos and did a lot of pinching and sniffing. Two tins are dry and two are slightly springy.

Ok...would you rehydrate and smoke these? If not, why not (other than "I don't like that brand")?
I'm such a cheapskate, so I'm thinking, "they smell incredible, smoke all of it".
Thoughts? Any ideas on dates of manufacture?
Fun fact: each item below (by way of comparison) cost about the same/less than a 1.75oz tin of Capstan original navy flake today :)

1. MacBarens Symphony by Harald Halberg, 7oz. Denmark. Broken flake.
1682733139166.png

1682733212586.png

2. Lane Scandia, 8oz. New York. The blend description and Charatan's insert are neat!
1682733286158.png

1682733353046.png

1682733368875.png

3. John Rolfe Peach Brandy, 14oz. Edgeworth (Richmond Va). Smells fantastic.
Would that I could send off for the "free pipe with my signature in gold plus tobacco and booklet" offer!
1682733466837.png

1682733508148.png

4. Amphora, Douwe Egberts, Holland (bag is same size as Rolfe, so possibly 14oz) Broken Flake.
Note: Act fast, the sweepstakes insert expires in April 1971....the year Yes released the Fragile album, Pink Floyd released "Meddle", the 'Stones put out Sticky Fingers, plus Mahavishnu Orchestra's The Inner Mounting Flame.
Don't even act like you wouldn't prefer the electric shaver over a trip to your choice of 112 countries.

1682733641168.png

1682734130750.png

1682735231478.png

Thanks for reading!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
If I didn't detect any mold then I'd smoke it. I mean really that's pretty much the only thing that would effect your health with old tobaccos. No mold, smoke away!

Tobacco does have an aging potential and any benefits aging might provide will eventually level out and then take a downward turn. This is what I've heard anyway.

Either way let us know what you do.

Top Bottom