What's new

Tobacco help

Hey guys, I really need help finding an aromatic that the wife doesn't hate smelling and one that I can actually taste. I've tried probably 30 aromatics from my local B&Ms, and have come to the conclusion that I was born without the ability to taste them. Believe me, if SWMBO let me smoke nightcap in the house I wouldn't be writing this.

I would really like to hear from the guys that are in my shoes. I know many of you like aromatics, but I really need help from those guys that enjoy stronger cigars and pipe tobacco that found an aromatic they actually enjoy smoking.

Thank you again in advance for your suggestions.

GO USA !!!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
You are not alone. I really find most aromatics boring, but they are what the non-smoking public likes.

I second Blue_2's suggestion. Get an aromatic you don't actually hate and mix it up. I've had good luck with a 3-or 4-to-1 mix of something like Captain Black or a MacBaren or McClellend Vanilla with something like Dunhill's Early Mornign Pipe or Standard Mixture Mellow. Is it great? No, but it sucks less, and the SWMBO might go for it.

Face it, you are going to have to compromise, right?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You could maybe try a Lakeland tobacco? It has a "tastable" aroma. Not sure of the room note tho.

Dan's Devil's Holiday, Sillem's Black, JFH Shortcut to Mushroom and JFH Whiskey Biscuit Gravy all have great "fuller" flavor and are pleasant smelling IMO.

Thank you for all your responses. I have blended some aromatics with Virginia in the past so that they "suck less" lol.
McCleland vanilla sounds good and how can I say no to anything with " Whiskey Biscuit Gravy " in the name.

I'd say the blending idea is your best bet.

Personally, I smoke outside 90% of the time because my SO complains about the smell of smoke in the house no matter what it is - English or aromatic.

Besides, I almost exclusively smoke virginia-perique these days and despite the lovely smell of the tobacco itself it can leave a musty room note, so I may not be of much help.

I've pretty much given up on aromatics, with the notable exception that I am going back to my CBW roots with some Lane RLP-6 (minus the PG of course)

I'm also getting some Prince Albert and Half & Half; that kind of light casing on the old school tobaccos may be the next closest thing to an aromatic that I"m going to smoke.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You are not alone. I really find most aromatics boring, but they are what the non-smoking public likes.

I second Blue_2's suggestion. Get an aromatic you don't actually hate and mix it up. I've had good luck with a 3-or 4-to-1 mix of something like Captain Black or a MacBaren or McClellend Vanilla with something like Dunhill's Early Mornign Pipe or Standard Mixture Mellow. Is it great? No, but it sucks less, and the SWMBO might go for it.

Face it, you are going to have to compromise, right?
I have been lucky that regard. The only thing she has turned her nose up at was Black XX. To tell you the truth, I think I did, too. She loves the smell of Squadron Leader.

I'd say the blending idea is your best bet.

Personally, I smoke outside 90% of the time because my SO complains about the smell of smoke in the house no matter what it is - English or aromatic.

It's currently 183 degrees in Phoenix right now, I'm still a good month away from "enjoying" a smoke outside.

This has been the best summer in ten years or more in my area; last year was the worst in several decades. The swings have been crazy...

Still, up here in the North Atlantic we don't have the extremes that you folks face in the southwest. It is nice to have the moderation of the sea, but St. John's is often regarded as having the worst weather of any city in Canada when you add up all the days of fog and rain and snow we have to endure.

I know what you mean though in being unable to smoke outside - albeit for a different reason than the heat. Often times, I just don't smoke because it is too nasty outside to even pretend to enjoy it... There's no fun in rushing through a bowl or trying to face windy conditions, I'd sooner do without...

Last edited:
Out here its been a scorching 88 degrees during the day and a whopping 65 at night. I don't understand why so many people fight for land out here...:001_cool:

Top Bottom