What's new

Tobacco breath

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Tea tree oil chewing sticks. They last about an hour and tame my beast breath.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I read years back that it's difficult to mask smoke from the breath because it's absorbed into more than just the surface of the skin. It's like eating lots of garlic or onions. Taking a shower won't help because the smell is being secreted through your glands or pores or something like that. I'm not sure how much truth there is in the statement, but I just remember reading it years back.

I read years back that it's difficult to mask smoke from the breath because it's absorbed into more than just the surface of the skin. It's like eating lots of garlic or onions. Taking a shower won't help because the smell is being secreted through your glands or pores or something like that. I'm not sure how much truth there is in the statement, but I just remember reading it years back.
It is why you aren't allowed in a sauna if you are a smoker because the smell is secreted when you sweat and then gets absorbed by the wood

I've had decent luck with H. Clay Smoker's Mints. It isn't a silver bullet, but seems to help more than anything else I've tried. They're not too spendy either. I usually buy several tins at a time off of Cigarbid.

The Tea Tree Oil sticks sound interesting too.

Ok. My girl friend hates cigar smoke and I made a promise to not smoke around her when we're spending time together, but as time goes on, I haven't been able to smoke and stop by to see her with smelling like an actual cigar (sitting on a cigar lounge for an hour or two absorbs it in your clothes-but I digress).

Tea tree oil chewing sticks? I'd rather shower with a tea tree based bodywash. The assertion that it is difficult to mask smoke from the breath because it's absorbed into more than just the surface of the skin is valid, due to our porous tongues and interior of the mouth, nasal passages and lips. Also, don't forget that it clings to your outer lips, chin lower face and hair. It's like eating lots of garlic or onions. Taking a shower alone, simply won't help because the smell is being secreted through your glands and pores.

So, while many replies went for the joke. My answer is serious and tried true over the last three months. It's involves a process that while detailed is doable and affordable.

After, you smoke. Shower. But, before showering you need to "oil pull": an old Egyptian method of dental care. Insert a tablespoon of coconut oil into your mouth (It has the room temperature consistency of yogurt ). Swish around in your mouth and enter the shower. Wash head to toe w a tea tree oil or fragrant body wash (all, while swishing the coconut oil in your mouth to a clear cooking oil consistency-but make sure it's at least 10 minutes). Shower twice and take a small nail brush and scrub uncertainty the nails of each hand, you individual fingers and palms and wrist-like tv doctors. Keep smelling your fingers to determine if they smell less like tobacco. If so, repeat nail and hand scrubbing. Exit shower and spit coconut oil into a disposable plastic cup (ALERT: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO YOU SPIT COCONUT OIL DOWN ANY HOUSE HOLD DRAIN -IT WILL CLOG AND DAMAGE YOUR PIPES!!!!-dispose of it in the trash or yard. The coconut oil pulling draws all toxins from the porous surfaces in your mouth (if you can't do coconut oil pull, buy Therabreath toothpaste and mouthwash-its amazing) both of these will address the smoke, but not eliminate it completely-nothing does. You goal is not elimination, but be successful at significantly reducing the odor of tobacco as much as possible. You want to smell like faint smoke, not an astray.

Good luck.

Ok. My girl friend hates cigar smoke and I made a problem to not smoke around her when we're spending time together, but as time went on, I wasnt able to smoke and stop by to see her with smelling like an actual cigar (sitting on a cigar lounge for an hour or two absorbs it in your clothes-but I digress).

Tea tree oil chewing sticks? I'd rather shower with a tea tree based bodywash. The assertion that it is difficult to mask smoke from the breath because it's absorbed into more than just the surface of the skin is valid, due to our porous tongues and interior of the mouth, nasal passages and lips. Also, don't forget that it clings to your outer lips, chin lower face and hair. It's like eating lots of garlic or onions. Taking a shower alone, simply won't help because the smell is being secreted through your glands and pores.

So, while many replies went for the joke. My answer is serious and tried true over the last three months. It's involves a process that while detailed is doable and affordable.

After, you smoke. Shower. But, before showering you need to "oil pull": an old Egyptian method of dental care. Insert a tablespoon of coconut oil into your mouth (It has the room temperature consistency of yogurt ). Swish around in your mouth and enter the shower. Wash head to toe w a tea tree oil or fragrant body wash (all, while swishing the coconut oil in your mouth to a clear cooking oil consistency-but make sure it's at least 10 minutes). Shower twice and take a small nail brush and scrub uncertainty the nails of each hand, you individual fingers and palms and wrist-like tv doctors. Keep smelling your fingers to determine if they smell less like tobacco. If so, repeat nail and hand scrubbing. Exit shower and spit coconut oil into a disposable plastic cup (ALERT: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO YOU SPIT COCONUT OIL DOWN ANY HOUSE HOLD DRAIN -IT WILL CLOG AND DAMAGE YOUR PIPES!!!!-dispose of it in the trash or yard. The coconut oil pulling draws all toxins from the porous surfaces in your mouth (if you can't do coconut oil pull, buy Therabreath toothpaste and mouthwash-its amazing) both of these will address the smoke, but not eliminate it completely-nothing does. You goal is not elimination, but be successful at significantly reducing the odor of tobacco as much as possible. You want to smell like faint smoke, not an astray.

Good luck.

Interesting write-up, thank you so much. Might try out the coconut oil even though it sounds quite unpleasant.
Thanks again.

Interesting write-up, thank you so much. Might try out the coconut oil even though it sounds quite unpleasant.
Thanks again.
I assure you, there is nothing unpleasant about coconut oil, unless you do not like coconut. I do this every morning as my normal routine. I will now be doing it after my smoking sessions as I have similar wife issues.

I assure you, there is nothing unpleasant about coconut oil, unless you do not like coconut. I do this every morning as my normal routine. I will now be doing it after my smoking sessions as I have similar wife issues.
Alright will definitely be giving this a try then

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If my wife wants me to fulfill my husbandly duty she needs to put up with the smell if happened to have smoke. If I want my wife to fulfill her wifely duty I don't smoke. IMO nothing can erase pipe smoke residue, much less cigar residue. Comes with the territory.

Might try looking for clove flavored lozenges. Clove, real clove, covers up a lot. A person I know uses it to conceal the odor of a certain intoxicating herb after smoking it and it works quite well in spite of the extremely pungent smell of the product he's covering up...

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
One additional thought: when my wife complains about my smoky "breath", its usually because of smoke smell that's in my nose that I keep exhaling. I use a neti pot sometimes to wash this out, and it's pretty effective. I also wised up this year and took my neti pot to Las Vegas for the West Coast Pipe Show, and it greatly improved my ability to survive a few days of 6+ bowls per day but cleaning out my nasal passage a couple of times a day, and for combating the dryness from all that smoke and indoor A/C.

So, last night I went out for a walk with my new MM Cob Pipe. I'm still a newbie when it comes to pipes. This is the first time I got it to stay lit the entire time. But I was moving and walking too and may have been puffing a little too hard at times. My tongue taste when I finished was not pleasant. I found this thread while browsing and thought I'd give some of the suggestions a try.

you need to "oil pull": an old Egyptian method of dental care. Insert a tablespoon of coconut oil into your mouth (It has the room temperature consistency of yogurt ). Swish around in your mouth
I did this first. I sat on the couch while watching TV swishing the coconut oil around for 5-10 minute, I guess, I didn't really keep track. Then I spit it outside. It made a noticeable difference. I'd say it took care of at least 50% of the problem.

Might try out the coconut oil even though it sounds quite unpleasant.
It's not unpleasant. I've used coconut oil as a rinse before, for oral hygiene. The mouth feel isn't as oily as you'd think. Closer to water than to normal vegetable oil. And if you like coconut, the taste is actually quite good. Just a mild coconut flavor.

Jameson on the rocks
I tried this before bed. I had just purchased a bottle a couple days before, and it sounded good anyway. Didn't help one bit, but I slept better! LOL

Also, gum is known to help breath more than breath mints.
While, sugarless gum promotes saliva, which helps wash away acids and the like.
I still had a little bit of leftover taste in my mouth after brushing in the morning, so I put in a piece of Extra Winterfresh Sugarfree gum. That took care of the rest of it completely!

Thanks for the tips guys.

I use "Wow drops" immediately after a smoke when on the go. I think it does a fair job of knocking down the smell to a mostly tolerable level. When I get home I will wash face and hands and inside nose. Then brush teeth and mouthwash. Also a nasal rinse in the nightly shower if the cigar was a "strong" one. Interestingly English blends and some cigars (Hemmingway Short Story for example) leave little evidence on my breath according to my wife, but virginia blends and other cigars leave me with "ashtray" breath.
The coconut oil may be something I should add to the arsenal, though the idea gives me shivers.

Last night I tried the Coconut oil again, and this time followed it up immediately with chewing gum. Knocked it right out of the park for me. That's now my solution.

Top Bottom