What's new

Tobacco breath

If my wife wants me to fulfill my husbandly duty she needs to put up with the smell if happened to have smoke. If I want my wife to fulfill her wifely duty I don't smoke. IMO nothing can erase pipe smoke residue, much less cigar residue. Comes with the territory.

Simple truth.

There's a YouTube pipe presenter whose video catch phrase is "smell my beard." He's either fooling himself or knowingly ignoring facts in service of his popular line. If you have any facial hair at all, one need not get up close and smell your beard to experience what was in your last bowl. I assure you that until you shower, brush, floss, gargle and repeat, your tobacco aroma can be smelled from across a room. I sometimes think about that when I hear about some guys who smoke up to 10 pipes a day.

One additional thought: when my wife complains about my smoky "breath", its usually because of smoke smell that's in my nose that I keep exhaling. I use a neti pot sometimes to wash this out, and it's pretty effective. I also wised up this year and took my neti pot to Las Vegas for the West Coast Pipe Show, and it greatly improved my ability to survive a few days of 6+ bowls per day but cleaning out my nasal passage a couple of times a day, and for combating the dryness from all that smoke and indoor A/C.

Great point. I too have a neti pot but for simple convenience after a pipe I usually use a pressurized saline solution mist thingamajigger like this and it makes a world of difference.

images.jpg

I've been smoking a pipe for 58 years, about as long as I've been wet shaving. I'm fastidious about brushing and flossing, and my dentist says that if I didn't tell him that I'm a pipe smoker, he'd never know it. If I want social acceptance, I use Therabreath mouth wash after brushing, and it seems to do the job. By the way, my experience has been that English and Virginia tobaccos are the least offensive, and burley based tobaccos are somewhat problematic. Aromatics? Forget it.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My wife seems to wrinkle her nose at me more when I smoke Latakia blends.

Top Bottom