What's new

TJ Maxx's Misleading Customer Sales Pitch

For months now I have been shopping on a tri weekly basis at our local TJ Maxx store and at all six registers the checkout clerks have always asked everyone if they would like an additional ten percent discount on the purchase being made in addition to the senior ten percent (Monday only) discount.My wife and I invariably say no to all such entreaties, preferring to use our one trusted credit card company for billing and simplicity.Today, as I was buying about $150.00 of merchandise, blinded by the idea of $30.00 off, I impulsively gave in and said O.K. over my wife’s objection. The cashier requested my basic info which I learned was to enable TJ Maxx to issue a “store credit” card.

I was reluctant to give my driver's license number, social security number and annual earnings, but the extra discount persuaded me to ignore my inner voice. She transferred all my data through her computer/register and while we waited she was chatty and friendly.Then the register spit out a piece of paper from the store’s Chase Bank USA N.A., clearing house stating on it that they “would notify me in writing on my pending credit application in thirty days or less”.The clerk read the paper and then handed it to me saying, with a big smile “Oh well maybe you’ll get the extra ten percent discount next time you come in.

So T.J Maxx conned me into applying for a bank credit card I didn’t want by dangling a ten percent discount on my purchase and got my personal info into their database.. When I told this to the clerk, she replied “Oh no sir I said only that you’d get the discount if you were approved today. She lied right to my face to cover her inability to deliver what she was told by management to promise the customers. She never told me I was applying for a bank credit card and insisted it was for a TJ Maxx store card.

Left with the choice of accepting only the standard senior discount, leaving without buying anything, or making a fuss with the manager, I chose to make my buy and leave quietly. I’ll talk to the manager in the next few days.He needs to have his sales clerks modify their credit card sales pitch.

Last edited:
You should NEVER apply for a store credit card. You might save some money but all you're really doing is lowering your credit score.

TJ Maxx should have been able to issue (or deny) a store credit card on the spot.

I recently applied for a store card and branded Chase Mastercard. The store card was issued immediately, with a very generous line of credit that almost made me faint. (Its been three months, and I have yet to use it for my initial 10% discount.)

The Chase Mastercard half of the application was processed seperately, not by the store, but by Chase. Despite the very generous line of credit I got at the store, along with FICO scores above 700, I was denied for the Chase card.

So be it. I wasn't all that interested in the Chase card anyway ... but when I need an unsecured Visa/MC card, I'll go to one of the three credit unions I belong to.

I've been using debit cards exclusively for the last few years, along with watching my finances via Microsoft Money. Thanks to automated e-billing for secured debts and utilities, I haven't missed a payment to anybody in about 4 years. It works quite well for me, much better than my previous system of dumping all the mail on the dining room table and sending out paper checks on a random basis.

The EXACT same thing happened to me at Target. I was also lured in because I was making a high-dollar purchase. It took them forever to get through the signup process and then I got the same treatment you describe. I was unbelievably PO'd and said things I probably shouldn't have. :censored: :a31: :censored: :a31: :censored: :a31:

At first I told them one reason I didn't want to sign up was I didn't want a query on my record because I was in the process of applying for a mortgage. They assured me it was only an internal Target check and wouldn't affect my score. Well, that was a lie. They did do a query through a credit bureau which added a query to my credit history (dropping my score a few points).

To top it all off, Target eventually denied me the credit! It is the one and only time in my life I have ever been turned down for ANY credit of ANY kind. My credit score is in the low 800's.

I promised I would never shop at Target again, but try to stop my wife if she likes to shop there.

I did hang around a while and warn people off. That made them mad! Of course at that point I didn't even know the worst was yet to come.

Arrrgh! Wish you hadn't brought this up.

NEVER APPLY FOR A STORE CREDIT CARD!

OK, I'll stop now.

I find it annoying when they ask. I always politely decline. The store interest rates are usually 10 points higher than my cards. The only time I fell for this ruse was with Sears. I was purchasing some major appliances and the 20% off and 12 months of no interest did me in. :biggrin:

H

Hanzo

Someone calls it " gotcha capitalism" the way that American companies con consumers and extort profits. Hidden fees, lies, false inducements are a part of it I imagine. Personally I just say no to everything! Even that doesn't help as you have to visit the dentist, car mechanic, have home repairs , take a taxi and everyone is padding the bill and attempting to exploit gullibility out of greed. Its not human nature but the nature of the economic system which says endless riches is the only way to be and accumulation. It puts us all on the take even down to a cashier knowingly attempting to grift a senior citizen.

Sheesh! Now this whole thing is making ME mad! Sometime I wonder if Capitalism is really worth it? Yeah,...to the ones that are capitalizing on others!:mad:

I never accept any offers for credit. If they tell you they won't run a credit check, they are lying; they will always run a credit check.

Besides, the majority of Store cards (with the exception of Sears, perhaps) are now bank cards in disguise. It is generally cheaper for stores to outsource credit services than to run their own in-house.

I have been sticking solely to a credit card that I have through my hometown credit union as well. The interest rate is low (9.99%), and I can pay the bill online by just transferring money from my checking account at that bank. However, I was thinking of purchasing a new tv here in the next year or so, and planned on taking advantage of the "0% interest for 18 months" that is offered at many of the big box electronics stores. I figured I would pay a couple hundred bucks a month on the tv, and have it paid off in 6 months. That would easily be before the 18 months was up. Is this a bad idea? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the interest on my credit card? I don't want to hurt my credit rating - (I just turned 24 and it's around 750 right now), so any advice would be welcomed!

I have been sticking solely to a credit card that I have through my hometown credit union as well. The interest rate is low (9.99%), and I can pay the bill online by just transferring money from my checking account at that bank. However, I was thinking of purchasing a new tv here in the next year or so, and planned on taking advantage of the "0% interest for 18 months" that is offered at many of the big box electronics stores. I figured I would pay a couple hundred bucks a month on the tv, and have it paid off in 6 months. That would easily be before the 18 months was up. Is this a bad idea? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the interest on my credit card? I don't want to hurt my credit rating - (I just turned 24 and it's around 750 right now), so any advice would be welcomed!

Only purchase the TV if you have the money because if you lose your job and you're relying on that 0% interest thing, you're screwed.

Why on earth would you pay interest on your credit card? You realize that 9.99% is a total rip off, right? The credit union is making a killing off of you. Just buy what you can afford and always pay your bill in full.

This is exactly why we're in this rut- people buy stuff that they cannot afford without credit.

I find it annoying when they ask. I always politely decline. The store interest rates are usually 10 points higher than my cards. The only time I fell for this ruse was with Sears. I was purchasing some major appliances and the 20% off and 12 months of no interest did me in. :biggrin:

They got me too :lol::lol::lol:

I don't use any retail credit cards anymore though.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
When I came to this country, I had no credit history here. While shopping at Macy's I signed up for one of their store credit cards. The card was issued, but had a $100 limit (!!), We made a purchase, got the bill and I paid for it. Some two weeks later - well after the check had cleared - we went back to Macy's and made another purchase. I remember the total came to some $96, and I pulled my card out and wanted to pay. We were then told that I have only $79 limit left. I explained to the lady that I have paid off my balance and the check was cleared. She said this was not reflected in their system, yet. In the mean time some 15 other customers were in line behind me, waiting to pay. Again I was denied to use my card since "You have not paid off the balance" - which was said pretty loud so everyone could here it. I just asked the lady behind the cash register if she had a pair of scissors handy. These were given to me and I cut up the credit card right in front of everyone there and never used a store credit card again.
Lesson learned.

Mretzloff,
Actually, the credit union isn't making a killing off of me because I pay the card off at the end of every month. The only reason I got it in the first place was to build somewhat of a credit rating while still in school. I also have saved the money to pay for the tv in full, while making double payments on my student loans. This is the reason I was asking the question: I thought if the 0% interest for 18 months was a good deal, and the new store card wouldn't hurt my credit rating, I could just save the money that I've already set aside for the TV and keep it for a rainy day (like losing my job). I posted the question on the forum because I think everyone on here is generally good natured, and willing to offer a gentelmanly opinion, not make rude remarks and belittle people. I appreciate you taking the time to offer an opinion, but I would suggest that you know a little more about the situation before running off at the mouth and making generalizations.

Mretzloff,
Actually, the credit union isn't making a killing off of me because I pay the card off at the end of every month. The only reason I got it in the first place was to build somewhat of a credit rating while still in school. I also have saved the money to pay for the tv in full, while making double payments on my student loans. This is the reason I was asking the question: I thought if the 0% interest for 18 months was a good deal, and the new store card wouldn't hurt my credit rating, I could just save the money that I've already set aside for the TV and keep it for a rainy day (like losing my job). I posted the question on the forum because I think everyone on here is generally good natured, and willing to offer a gentelmanly opinion, not make rude remarks and belittle people. I appreciate you taking the time to offer an opinion, but I would suggest that you know a little more about the situation before running off at the mouth and making generalizations.

I'm sorry if I sounded rude, but you really need to reword your questions.

You asked "should I just pay the interest on the credit card?". You never mentioned a store credit card, so logically, that would lead someone to believe you're not paying monthly bills in full.

And to answer your question, yes, applying for credit cards lowers your credit rating, regardless of what yours currently is.

No problem, and I probably shouldn't have gotten defensive. I meant to ask if I should just put the TV on my existing (credit union) credit card, as opposed to applying for a store credit card with 0% interest, and just pay it off in a few months as I had originally planned. I highly doubt that I will make the purchase any time soon, as I am usually keep myself on a very tight budget, and I was just wondering if there was a general consensus to steer away from store cards.

No problem, and I probably shouldn't have gotten defensive. I meant to ask if I should just put the TV on my existing (credit union) credit card, as opposed to applying for a store credit card with 0% interest, and just pay it off in a few months as I had originally planned. I highly doubt that I will make the purchase any time soon, as I am usually keep myself on a very tight budget, and I was just wondering if there was a general consensus to steer away from store cards.

If you had a 750 credit score a year ago, this would be a no brainer, however, now I don't think it would be wise. If you have the money, put it in your checking account, get the TV with your credit union credit card, and then pay it off in full at the end of the month (or whenever you get your bill).

A year ago 600 was acceptable. Now anything under 700 is not.

If you had a 750 credit score a year ago, this would be a no brainer, however, now I don't think it would be wise. If you have the money, put it in your checking account, get the TV with your credit union credit card, and then pay it off in full at the end of the month (or whenever you get your bill).

A year ago 600 was acceptable. Now anything under 700 is not.

I recently saw a bit on the news and they were explaining that next year a new regulations (not sure if it's a policy, law or what) that will require leniency in credit scores for past/older indiscretions. They said it would inflate the average persons score. Thus a 600 now might equal a 700 next year. Perhaps it won't be that drastic. I didn't get the chance to research this further.

Top Bottom