What's new

Look around! Only Big Brother is watchging you.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
proxy.php

In general, most folk simply are not looking at anything. They are oblivious.

Case in point. Not too long ago I bought a little Taurus PT-22 from Academy as a plinker. Academy has a policy that a "Customer Service Representative" must carry any firearm to the front of the store before handing it to you. The CSR came back to the counter while they finished filling out the paperwork and we were all talking, myself, the CSR, the Manager that had to check the paperwork and the salesman. Once they finished the CSR took me to the register and I paid for the gun. She then walked me from the very back of the store to the front doors. On the way she asked if I had any other guns and how many (Yes and a few old ones), told me her son-in-law had two guns and finally handed over the box with the gun when we got to the very front doors.

Now it's getting into warmer times down here and the temperature outside was in the mid 90s F so I was wearing the normal t-shirt and shorts with a light unbuttoned seersucker shirt. And a S&W M&P Bodyguard 380 in my pocket and a S&W 469 in a Fobus paddle holster on my hip. Even though we had been standing around talking for at least ten minutes and walking together the full length of the store she was still unaware that I was carrying and still asked if I had any other guns.

proxy.php

Some other gun owners may notice but the vast majority simply don't see you or your gun.

...and then some do. Last year I got stopped by a security guard in a large farmers market in north Georgia. To this day I cannot figure how he saw I was carrying a S&W 9mm Shield beneath a somewhat large shirt. Few words were exchanged and all ended well, but even though I looked hard before going out and checking for printing (neither I or my wife saw any) this security guy had me.

Some other gun owners may notice but the vast majority simply don't see you or your gun.

I consider this a good thing. At least in terms of carrying.

To be honest, I was very concerned about printing when I first ventured into the public with a firearm at my waist. I was almost tense, convinced that everyone around me KNEW I had a pistol.

Nope. Nothing. Nada. Everyone was going about their business. Faces glued to their phones. I honestly don't think they're even aware that I'M there (I still say "excuse me" or "pardon me" if I walk between you and the store shelf; I consider it polite). In my state, you do not have to conceal, and I've only seen one civilian carrying openly OWB. It made him look like a doofus. We've all seen the "Tacticool" person in public. They have to be armed, and they're in such a heightened state of Condition Yellow that I figure they'll die from adrenaline overload before they get in any defensive shooting situation.

I consider anyone who is carrying is on my side anyway. They've made the decision to carry, I hope they realize that they are NOT the police or some super hero, and that carrying is a serious responsibility.

You're right, though. Most people, beyond the end of their nose......:20:.

Don

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Case in point. Not too long ago I bought a little Taurus PT-22 from Academy as a plinker. Academy has a policy that a "Customer Service Representative" must carry any firearm to the front of the store before handing it to you. The CSR came back to the counter while they finished filling out the paperwork and we were all talking, myself, the CSR, the Manager that had to check the paperwork and the salesman. Once they finished the CSR took me to the register and I paid for the gun. She then walked me from the very back of the store to the front doors. On the way she asked if I had any other guns and how many (Yes and a few old ones), told me her son-in-law had two guns and finally handed over the box with the gun when we got to the very front doors.

Now it's getting into warmer times down here and the temperature outside was in the mid 90s F so I was wearing the normal t-shirt and shorts with a light unbuttoned seersucker shirt. And a S&W M&P Bodyguard 380 in my pocket and a S&W 469 in a Fobus paddle holster on my hip. Even though we had been standing around talking for at least ten minutes and walking together the full length of the store she was still unaware that I was carrying and still asked if I had any other guns.

In 2009 I purchased my Colt LE6920 M4 from a local Walmart. They had a girl who didn't look 19 years old, carry it out to my car for me, because "it was store policy". I was wearing a police uniform and driving a police cruiser at the time. :)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think if it’s concealed no one is supposed to notice. I also think if someone does notice they are not going to say anything. I can’t think of one instance where I’ve noticed someone carrying concealed. I’ve seen plenty of open carry and never thought twice about it.

I live in Middle TN and I know I’ve been around a lot of people carrying concealed.

Tennessee???
Here in SE Tennessee everyone is within arm’s reach of a firearm of some sort. Or.. So I was told by the County Undersheriff anyway.

I think that when the average non gun person sees a slight bulge around someone's waist they just think cellphone or something similar rather than gun.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
In 2009 I purchased my Colt LE6920 M4 from a local Walmart. They had a girl who didn't look 19 years old, carry it out to my car for me, because "it was store policy". I was wearing a police uniform and driving a police cruiser at the time. :)

(speechless)

AA :a21:

proxy.php

proxy.php

On the other hand, she could have just been making polite conversation and meant it in a "did you have more at home" kind of way. But generally speaking, your comment about the lack of situational awareness is spot on.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Haven’t been called on a flag yet, but I plan to tell someone asking that it’s my colostomy bag.

As an RN, I've always had it in mind to reply "It's an -ostomy device." An ostomy is a hole made in the body. And I carry a device made to put holes in bodies. So I would be telling the truth.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As an RN, I've always had it in mind to reply "It's an -ostomy device." An ostomy is a hole made in the body. And I carry a device made to put holes in bodies. So I would be telling the truth.
I'm an RN too. I got hugged one time and the lady felt my small of back carried LCR. First thing that popped into my head was " it's a medical device. " No idea why. Except I guess it could send someone to the hospital.

Top Bottom