What's new

An End of a Era - New York's Carnegie Deli to close

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
For our Members in NY City...it is a sad day. :a36:

By Alan Feuer - NY Times - NY Region - 30 Sept 16

"Live in New York long enough and you will lose somewhere you love. Good things die here. It’s what keeps the place alive.

But every now and then a big one goes, as it did on Friday morning, when the owner of
the Carnegie Deli suddenly announced that the Manhattan sandwich place would be shutting down at the end of the year.

The famous Jewish restaurant on Seventh Avenue and 55th Street, down the block from Carnegie Hall, has been putting out cardiologically perilous fare since 1937.
When it closes its doors on Dec. 31, the city will lose not only an irreplaceably iconic four-inch-tall pastrami sandwich, but also a small piece of itself.

News of the restaurant’s demise emerged at 7 a.m. on Friday when, at a meeting in the dining room, the owner, Marian Harper, told about 25 early-shift employees that she could no longer bear the stressful challenges of restaurant life.

proxy.php
Carnegie Deli is famous for its four-inch-tall pastrami sandwich. Credit Alex Wroblewski for The New York Times

“The restaurant business is one of the hardest jobs in New York City,” Ms. Harper later said in a formal statement issued by her publicist. “At this stage in my life, the early morning to late night days have taken a toll, along with my sleepless nights and grueling hours.”

The shock waves quickly followed. Eater, the culinary website, reported on the closing with a mournful article with the headline:
“Pastrami Bombshell.” Twitter was full of photographs of deli meat and melancholy posts: “How’s a Jew like me supposed to suffer a heart attack at age 37 in this city anymore?!” And “It’s pastrami on cry.”

Read More: Carnegie Deli in Manhattan to shut down

proxy.php
“You can make any meal into a sandwich…and any a sandwich into a meal”.
[FONT=&amp]Jeff Mauro[/FONT]

Interesting that the news came via a publicist. Sounds like maybe bait for a prospective buyer? Anyway, time to watch Broadway Danny Rose again.

I used to go there when traveling to NYC on business. The first time, I was a skinny 25 year old. I tried to order a whole pastrami sandwich, and the waiter wouldn't let me. He said, "You're not gonna finish it, and I'm too busy to get you a doggy bag." I didn't finish the half sandwich he let me order, and on the way out the waiter gave me a look that said, "I've been here a long time."

Top Bottom