What's new

Titanium Nitride : A leap forward,not yet done...

Wonder why Titanium Nitride
( Aka Tinite ) coating is still not
used by any of the razor blade
manufacturers ?
Just one coating of Tinite would
have been enough to
cancel out the multiple coatings
used (Chromium,Platinum,PTFE,
etc ) .

Last edited:
Is there some particular reason you believe titanium nitride "is still not used by any of the razor blade manufacturers"? Did you research this and check with blade manufacturers?

I'm curious about this, too. It seems titanium nitride is fairly common on surgical implements, scissors, coffee grinder burrs, etc.

There are, of course, titanium coated blades, including Bolzano and the old SuperMax. I was not impressed by the sharpness or longevity of the Bolzano, and the atrocious old SuperMax coating seemed to wear off after a few shaves.

However, some users have reported remarkable results with the Durablade Sharp Swiss titanium blades, which seem to suggest the use of a titanium nitride coating.

I used a very sharp, titanium coated SuperMax four-blade disposable in India that lasted for a month. I used some three-blade Apache/Personna cartridges in China that were labeled "ceramic coated" that also lasted for a month. At the time, I strongly suspected they were actually titanium nitride coated, which is a ceramic, but were not labeled titanium because they were a cheap line they didn't want competing with their more expensive blades.

There are a fair number of cartridge razors now labeled titanium coated, presumably nitride.

So perhaps the question should be: Why aren't other DE manufacturers using titanium nitride?

I'll give you two guesses.

manufacturers ?
have been enough to
etc ) .

BTW, as to "cancel out the multiple coatings," I'm not sure that's the purpose of titanium sputtering. The manufacturer may still wish to use an outer coating such as PTFE or some sort of light plastic polymer to protect the blade from moisture and oxidation while in storage and transit.

A PTFE outer coating would provide some additional smoothness. One of the mysteries of blades is what is going on as the blade wears with use: Is the change simply due to the wearing off of the PTFE and getting down to the platinum, stainless steel, or titanium? If so, perhaps you should keep shaving through this phase, and the blade might get sharper. But some people have such an abhorrence of "rough" blades that they toss the blade as soon as the protective coating gives way.

I suspect blades are more efficient when you get past the PTFE coating and get down to the metal. And they may be most efficient when you are down to the steel. Titanium nitride has more friction than steel, so this may be a reason these blades seem more efficient, even though they have a different blade feel. Smoothness and efficiency may not be entirely compatible.

I like the distinct feel of titanium coated blades, and do not consider them "rough." Or at least, the titanium blades do not inherently produce a "rough" shave, even if they might feel a tiny bit rough while shaving. When I use Sharp Swiss titanium blades in aggressive razors with a neutral shave cream that does not irritate my skin, I do not get any significant irritation, beyond what little, temporary irritation is inevitable from a close shave.

I suspect most irritation from using very sharp blades such as these is from the shave soap, particularly very alkaline soap, or bad technique, particularly over aggressive shaving.

However, there are bad blades that cause bad shaves, and bad titanium blades, such as the SuperMax, certainly can do this. But well made titanium blades, such as the Sharp, are so smooth and efficient that I don't see how they can be blamed for irritation.

So, yes, I do see a future for more titanium nitride coated blades. But some people might not prefer the feel. And some manufacturers might not want to sell razor blades that can last for two months, each.

manufacturers ?
have been enough to
etc ) .

Possibly the same reason that Personna don't make tungsten blades anymore, if blades last longer, people don't buy them as often and so profits go down. That would be my guess anyway.

Possibly the same reason that Personna don't make tungsten blades anymore, if blades last longer, people don't buy them as often and so profits go down. That would be my guess anyway.

FYI:

Personna 74.jpg

In case the text is difficult to read:

Crop text.jpg

Last edited:
If blades were coated in titanium nitride they'd have a visible golden tint. If TiN is not used like that it's probably because the alternatives offer a better balance of properties specifically for maintaining the blade's sharp edge for as long as possible. "Titanium coated blades" I think are coated in just-titanium, not nitride.

Where TiN PVD coating is used in the razors realm I suspect is in some of the higher-quality gold or rose-gold colored razors that usually get marketed to women. Lower-quality ones maybe use resins or lacquers to achieve the same tint but with worse durability. So if you want the benefits of TiN PVD coatings you should give the ladies' razors isle a look-see. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom