What's new

timeline of Super-Adjustable

I want to complete my database about the Super-Adjustable. That´s what I´ve found on my pictures:

long handle Super-Adjustable: 1968 (N3) - 1976 (W3)
long handle Super-Adjustable with plastic bottom plate: 1977 (X1) - 1980 (A3)
long handle Super-Adjustable new knurling: 1982 (C2) - 1987 (H4)

long handle gold Super-Adjustable: 1969 (O4) - 1970 (P1)

short handle Super-Adjustable: 1969 (O1) - 1975 (V1)

Any additions are welcome!

Last edited:
What a shame, I'd like a metal base plate with the newer diamond knurling. :crying:

I'm also surprised that the long handle came before the short. I wonder what prompted Gillette to make the short handle a year later, and then to discontinue the short handle while continuing with the long. :confused1

Last edited:
I wonder what prompted Gillette to make the short handle a year later, and then to discontinue the short handle while continuing with the long. :confused1

Well, they did have both long AND short handle Super Adjustables for a number of the years, from 1969 to 1975 there were both. Then in 1976 they made the last Gillette with a metal bottom and it was a long handle. I have an example of both, the 1977 with the straight ridge handle and the 1982 (C-2) with the diamond knurling. It has been hard to find aything past 1987 though, and my thought is that this is recent enough that they might be still in use or in somebodys batroom drawer or otherwies merely pitched. There may be some out there, but owners might be unaware that they are often looked for.

It would be nice to own just one 1993 DE Super Adjustable if they were being made.

BTW BEAUTIFUL pictures of the different styles of handles!!

Last edited:
At the end of January of this year, there was an Ebay auction for a late SA, with the knurling, that clearly was an "I-2". My last second bid was not accepted:cursing:

I copied the photo of the open blade doors....does anyone have info on this, or own this razor???

Attachments

• $I2.jpg
    $I2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 721
Achim, I don't know if this deserves mention but....... I have a NDC long handle super adjustable with plastic base plate. I PM'd you about it a while back and I think we nailed down the year(s) to '77-'78 due to the knurling. I'll attach some pics. Also, if you want my B4 should be in the mail tomorrow (yep, finally got a birthyear). I can snap some pics of it if you would like to compare to mark_mw's. Here is the NDC.

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Here's what I have for the SA's ..
Super Adjustable Gold P-1 1970
Super Adjustable Short Handle S-1 1972
Super Adjustable Steel NOS with Card & CaseT-3 1973
Super Adjustable Black Undertray (? Black Beauty?) F-4 1985

Does anyone know if this is Possible To Remove the plastic head and replace it with a metal one ? I think i would be pretty cool , kinda like a Custom one, Maybe Collectors wont like it, but i'm sure it would sell high on EBay, LOL

Last edited:
What a shame, I'd like a metal base plate with the newer diamond knurling. :crying:

I'm also surprised that the long handle came before the short. I wonder what prompted Gillette to make the short handle a year later, and then to discontinue the short handle while continuing with the long. :confused1

I'm Sure you can Adapt one :001_unsur

I've seen pictures of a B-4 with the newer knurling...maybe they made both styles that quarter.

I have a odd Super Adjustable that appears to have an un-plated adjustment ring just brass...no brassing anywhere else. What would the odds be all the plating completely wore off only on the adjustment ring.

Well, all the metal ones have the date codes on the bottom and as soon as you open up the doors you'd see the "real" date code and it would then consitute a fraud if it were sold. If you own it for your own self, then putting a metal in place of plastic might be done. Harder things have been done in the real world.

The diamond knurling didn't start until around 1981, perhaps end of 1981.

Last edited:
Well, all the metal ones have the date codes ont he bottom and as soon as you open up the doors you'd see the "real" date code and it would then consitute a fraud if it were sold. If you own it for your own self, then putting a metal in place of plastic might be done. Harder things have been done in the real world.

The diamond knurling didn't start until 1982.

I see your point, but I'm not sure I would classify swapping out an adjustor piece as fraud. I imagine the plate from a slim would fit as well, but I haven't tried it.

thanks for all the input. With this informations and pictures we have this new timeline:

long handle Super-Adjustable: 1969 (O1) - 1976 (W3)
long handle Super-Adjustable with plastic bottom plate: 1977 (X1) - 1981 (B4)
long handle Super-Adjustable new knurling: 1980 (A1) - 1988 (I2)

long handle gold Super-Adjustable: 1969 (O4) - 1970 (P1)

short handle Super-Adjustable: 1968 (N3) - 1975 (V1)

It looks like they made in 1980/81 both knurlings

Last edited:
Now to find the elusive 1990's I still think they are out there, just not common nor "in the market" as probably being used or forgotten.

Now to find the elusive 1990's I still think they are out there, just not common nor "in the market" as probably being used or forgotten.

Well, this forum is known by all shaving aficionados around the world, there has to be a point in time where one of these aficionados with that elusive 1990's will show up.

Top Bottom