What's new

Timeless Bronze Open Comb VS Solid Bar: an extreme case of YMMV

I've used mine with a Feather and a Polsilver and have gotten smooth 2 1/2 BBS shaves with no nicks or irritation. When using very efficient razors I always use a skin stretch short stroke technique which has tamed all the beasts in my den even the more efficient R41, Ikon Tech and the top dog Charcoal Goods L3 OC. I can say the Timeless Bronze OC has a very small sweet spot! Find it and it delivers a terrific shave. I only have used the milder .38 SB when I just need a quick buffing the day after I've had a solid BBS shave with one of my other razors and there is just a little stubble to clean up but its very smooth.

Mine went back. I tried an assortment of blades. In face i just finished using the assortment up this week or so. I tried Rapira, Personna labs and red, Russian Green and yellow, nacet, etc etc. Nothing worked. I tries shallow and steep. I typically like shallow, as all my best successes come from razors that are good shallow. All I had was weepers, nicks, burn, and later in the day, bumps. My daughter said to me , in front of some young woman at a cash register, "Daddy, what is that awful rash on your face?" If it wasn't red already, it was now. I said, it's not a rash sweetie, it's razor burn. Kinda reminded me of that time in college, "What are you telling me doctor, she said it was only razor burn!"

Used an Astra SP this morning, better than the KAI, but overall not as close as some others razors. - Still an improvement over yesterday. That sweet spot is VERY narrow, taking some attention to maintain.

I'm trying really hard to master this beast.

Third time the charm? Eked out a good shave this morning with the Bronze beast. Same Astra SP, now on 2nd shave. Used Dove pre-shave oil, nice thick creamy PDP 63 face lathered.

I'm finding it's the initial WTG pass that needs more attention, and supporting most of its sizeable weight from your face really helps. On the upward pass, the weight isn't there, making it the easier pass. That first pass makes or breaks the shave.

There's also two efficient angles that sing, tilting the handle 20 or so degrees away from your face (steep), another more shallow with the handle more off your face. The steeper area isn't as efficient, but easier to maintain with a bit less aggression. Final result was pretty much BBS, and no blood or heavy irritation. I lathered and gingerly did a 4th pass to test for irritation, and had no issues completing a 4th pass.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
For me the OC is also extremely smooth and efficient. I returned the SS .65 OC I had for giving me mystery cuts. Felt smooth but cut me up. No such issues with the Bronze OC. So smooth I have no interest in the SB.

If they do a middle ground Scalloped model I’ll be all over it.

Today I tried a Feather blade, it's second use, and had another great 2.5 pass shave with the bronze open comb. Go figure!

Just had a marvelous shave this morning, using the same Astra SP, now on its third shave. Proraso red pre-shave and Essential Oil of Lavendar soap. Just held onto that steep sweet spot going XTG, ATG, and light touch up WTG. ...BBS results. The Bronze is definitely growing on me, and with its preferred angle, may be the most comfortable OC I've used.

Anyone having trouble, very light touch, start with guard/teeth flat and tip up until you hear the that sweet cutting sound. - Maybe 15-20 degrees. - Smooth as can be.

New Feather in my Bronze OC this morning, very close BBS shave, albeit with a little irritation under the chin, where I got a little greedy. - It's one of my problem areas, but it is current smooth as glass, and probably got a start on tomorrow mornings growth. :biggrin1:

Showered, washing my face with glycerin soap, a squirt of Dove for Men pre-Shave oil, RR What the Puck Barbershop lathered with my 30mm tuxedo synthetic, and applied some Witch Hazel after the cold rinse. Oh man was there some burn with the Bay-Rum AS briefly, then finished with Lather & Wood Sandalwood Lotion. (If you haven't tried mixing Bay-Rum & Sandalwood, give it a try, they go really well together).

I'd love to see a scalloped head version of this thing, with the same 0.78 blade gap. - I'm generally not a big OC Fan, usually finding them tougher on the face than a Smooth or Scalloped Bar.

Shave 2 on the Feather wasn't good, irritation and a couple nicks or weepers on the right upper lip. - Had to toss a GSB in this morning, which of course caught Tuesday's weeper or nick, but overall smoother than the Feather.

Shave 2 on the Feather wasn't good, irritation and a couple nicks or weepers on the right upper lip. - Had to toss a GSB in this morning, which of course caught Tuesday's weeper or nick, but overall smoother than the Feather.

I think the Astra SP is the perfect blade for the bronze open comb for me, and apparently you. I do think I will try a Voshkhod sometime soon.

Got a decent shave this morning, barely making contact with the skin, using the same GSB. - After 3 passes, just perceivable stubble, that using the same barely touching wasn't getting.

Grabbed Rocky, now loaded with the Feather from the Bronze OC with plate 6.....I'd swapped the blades yesterday, to load the GSB in the Bronze. Removed that super short stubble no problem, and so comfortably it might as well been a cotton ball. - Hmm, not what I expected.

Tomorrow's another shave.

Yesterday's shave mimicked Thurs, but stumbled into a sweat spot or comfort area with GSB having a couples shaves on it. - Rocky still found areas that could be closer.

Today's shave, with the same GSB was better, using a bit shallower area and light pressure. The OC really needs very light pressure to avoid burn and weepers. But a bit shallower avoids the scraping feeling, rewarding with a nice zing cutting sound. Result was true BBS with just some mild irritation on the upper lip.....I've tried steep, shallow, and everywhere in between, and the ATG on the upper lip just isn't smooth with this razor. - My Slim on 9 and Rockwell using R6 does that pass just fine.

I'm conflicted, I love the looks and the WTG and XTG do well, but still 3 passes with touch-ups, and Rocky, my MingShi, or my Slim yield the same results with better comfort. I'll give it a few more shaves, each seems to get better.

This razor is a conundrum for me. Admittedly, I am a Timeless fanboy, 0.68 SB, 0.95 OC, SB and a titanium scalloped 0.95 then the OC bronze came along. I just have not found the sweet spot or maybe right blade for that razor. A great razor, beautifully made, perfect fit and finish but for me more finicky than my other Timeless razors.

I think I've found the sweet spot, not just off the guard/comb as originally thought, seeing others experience. For me, I'm now holding the handle 30 degrees or so, but zero pressure. - Any pressure and there's substantial irritation and weepers by the 3rd pass. This is a very touchy razor, which there lies my conflict.

It takes a good deal of attention, enough that it isn't the relaxed, effortless, and enjoyable shave I get with most others, at least not yet. Better than it was the first shave or two, so there's hope.

It took me more than a few shaves to get a bloodless BBS with the .78 OC, between the good looks of the razor and my stubborn streak I stayed with it and finally figured it out. Than I had a brainstorn and ordered the .38 Solid bar. Initially I passed thinking the gap was too small, the razor too mild to be what I wanted.

Read some reviews, saw some Youtube videos and took a chance just ordering the baseplate alone. It has the same safety bar configuration as the OC, almost an edge. It is not really mild, but is really efficient. Easier to find the angle and when you do gives a great BBS shave with no irritation or nicks.

If you like the looks and feel of this heavy bronze razor but find the OC a challenge, I strongly suggest you try the SB .38 base plate. Now I have the OC when I want a challenge and am ready to focus. When I want a razor that is a bit more forgiving but just as close I have that also.

As an update, the last 3 days have seen use of my bronze OC with an Astra blade. While this is hardly my favorite blade, it has worked beautifully for me in this razor. The razor is now a keeper, not the most aggressive I have but a very good shave nonetheless.

Top Bottom