What's new

Timeless Al, 3one6, Rocca - Side by Side

I made a comment on the Timeless Aluminum razor thread that I find these 3 razors to be similar in efficiency. @Calm_Shaver couldn't imagine that anything could better his Rocca. I get it - it's great. But he asked if I might compare the 3 razors mentioned. Now, I have.

For background, I shaved a couple of years with DEs. Then a full year of straights. Then 6 months on modern SEs. Lately, I've revisited the DEs and bought some of the newer ones. I have read comments from several members that they can shave with any DE and the differences between razors was beginning to be less prominent. I've been feeling that way lately.

This comparison was judged simply. Regardless of smoothness, weight, design, etc., how good was the resulting shave? Where I could not determine a winner, I'd ask my wife and daughters to feel my face. I did this right after the shave, and a couple of times throughout the day.

First the results, then a few comments:
  • Timeless Aluminum vs Edwin Jagger 3one6 - TIE, I could tell no difference.
  • Timeless Aluminum vs Muhle Rocca - TIE, I could tell no difference.
  • Bonus round: Timeless Aluminum vs Gamechanger OC - Timeless won, by a very slight margin.
This is interesting for me, because each of these razors of so very different than the others.

timeless.jpg 3one6.jpg
rocca.jpg gcoc.jpg

The aluminum Timeless was the smoothest of the group. It is also the easiest to shave with. I like the light weight, but it does still feel odd to me. I do wonder how durable it will be in aluminum. I expect it to get scratched and dinged over time. We'll see.

The 3one6 that I bought (with blue handle) is also a light weight nimble razor. It has a thin head and is very maneuverable. It has a ridged safety bar that slightly pulls your skin for a closer shave. This works well, but does not then feel as smooth.

I have the original version of the black-handled Rocca. I got good shaves with it from the very beginning. It looks and feels like many razors that I've used, like the Rockwell 6S and the Timeless. The hollow stainless steel handle is brilliant and works to reduce weight. The texture of the Rocca head serves to slightly pulls your skin for a closer shave. Like the 3one6, this works but then does not feel as smooth.

The Gamechanger OC has the best price point of the group. It takes a bit more concentration and has a different shave angle than the others. I polished the sharp edges of the teeth a while ago to improve smoothness. For quick shaves, I use the solid bar version in .84.

I don't yet know if I'll keep 4 razors that give me the same results. Each gives a different shave experience.

Nice review! It's always interesting to read other people's thoughts. I have three of the four you compared (Timeless, Rocca, and GC). Still working on getting enough shaves with each in addition to several others I've picked up in the last few months to decide which I like best. I got too many new razors in too short a period of time! I think so far, the Timeless has been the least smooth for me. But I've only had three or four shaves with it. The light weight takes some getting used to. The Rocca just fell in line and shaved like I'd been using it for years. First shave with the GC .84 solid bar was impressively mild feeling, but still had reasonable efficiency. I thought the angle was a little different than I was used to, and kept adjusting how I was holding it during the shave. But the second shave didn't seem as unfamiliar. It might be the front runner after I get enough shaves with it. I ordered the OC version after one shave. That's how impressed I was with it. Waiting on that one to arrive.

Great comparisons!

I especially appreciate your larger point: good technique produces good results!! Hardware is helpful, but technique trumps most everything IME!! :a29:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
You made me want to revisit my rocca. Smooth so far but uncomfortable.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I’ve been using the 3one6 every shave since it was first released earlier this Summer. The ridges on the safety bar that stretch the skin do make it feel a bit less smooth, but it absolutely works for me in providing an excellent shave. My blue handled 3one6 has worked it’s way into the top spot. It’s all I use now. I have a couple ATTs, game changers, and Karves that will be sold this winter.

I made a comment on the Timeless Aluminum razor thread that I find these 3 razors to be similar in efficiency. @Calm_Shaver couldn't imagine that anything could better his Rocca. I get it - it's great. But he asked if I might compare the 3 razors mentioned. Now, I have.

For background, I shaved a couple of years with DEs. Then a full year of straights. Then 6 months on modern SEs. Lately, I've revisited the DEs and bought some of the newer ones. I have read comments from several members that they can shave with any DE and the differences between razors was beginning to be less prominent. I've been feeling that way lately.

This comparison was judged simply. Regardless of smoothness, weight, design, etc., how good was the resulting shave? Where I could not determine a winner, I'd ask my wife and daughters to feel my face. I did this right after the shave, and a couple of times throughout the day.

• Bonus round: Timeless Aluminum vs Gamechanger OC - Timeless won, by a very slight margin.
This is interesting for me, because each of these razors of so very different than the others.

View attachment 1018122 View attachment 1018123
View attachment 1018124 View attachment 1018125

The aluminum Timeless was the smoothest of the group. It is also the easiest to shave with. I like the light weight, but it does still feel odd to me. I do wonder how durable it will be in aluminum. I expect it to get scratched and dinged over time. We'll see.

The 3one6 that I bought (with blue handle) is also a light weight nimble razor. It has a thin head and is very maneuverable. It has a ridged safety bar that slightly pulls your skin for a closer shave. This works well, but does not then feel as smooth.

I have the original version of the black-handled Rocca. I got good shaves with it from the very beginning. It looks and feels like many razors that I've used, like the Rockwell 6S and the Timeless. The hollow stainless steel handle is brilliant and works to reduce weight. The texture of the Rocca head serves to slightly pulls your skin for a closer shave. Like the 3one6, this works but then does not feel as smooth.

The Gamechanger OC has the best price point of the group. It takes a bit more concentration and has a different shave angle than the others. I polished the sharp edges of the teeth a while ago to improve smoothness. For quick shaves, I use the solid bar version in .84.

I don't yet know if I'll keep 4 razors that give me the same results. Each gives a different shave experience.
Thank you for the in-depth Comparison! @mr_houston It’s good to know that the Timeless aluminum performed well for you! I have been getting good shaves from the Rocca, probably really close in terms of efficiency and smoothness comparable to the Timeless.95 OC..I never tried the 3One6 or the Timeless Aluminum but I expect them to be of high quality. If I didn’t have the Rocca, I would of went with the Timeless Aluminum. Thank you again for the wonderful comparison of the 3 razors. It was surprisingly alot closer comparison than I initially thought.

Last edited:
Excellent review @mr_houston . I had the all black Rocca and sold it as I wasn’t getting very comfortable shaves with it, I have a red and blue 3one6 and find it to be an excellent daily driver. I just received the Timeless aluminum and lent it to my son to try they I will give it a whirl.

I am torn between getting a Rocca or a 3ONE6, although I have a backlog of recently acquired razors to put through testing. Sounds like maybe the Rocca is more aggressive than the 3ONE6?

View attachment 1018122 View attachment 1018123
View attachment 1018124 View attachment 1018125

And that is why unless I am moving up to a Wolfman I see no point to change razors, I will stay with my EJ 3one6

I have the all stainless 3one6 and the R95 Rocca V4. To me they both shave almost identical. Very close, comfortable shaves. I really like the birch handle on the Rocca....it's the best feeling handle I've ever shaved with. It feels a little bit like cork when wet. Super easy to grip and hang on to. I won't be getting rid of either of these razors. They both provide the closest shaves of any razors I own.

I have the all stainless 3one6 and the R95 Rocca V4. To me they both shave almost identical. Very close, comfortable shaves. I really like the birch handle on the Rocca....it's the best feeling handle I've ever shaved with. It feels a little bit like cork when wet. Super easy to grip and hang on to. I won't be getting rid of either of these razors. They both provide the closest shaves of any razors I own.
I agree with almost everything you said about the Rocca and the 3one6, including the praise for the Rocca's birch bark handle. I do, however, have three razors that provide me with a closer shave, the Yaqi double open comb slant, the Classic Shaving Enoch AC razor and the Gem MMOC.

I agree with almost everything you said about the Rocca and the 3one6, including the praise for the Rocca's birch bark handle. I do, however, have three razors that provide me with a closer shave, the Yaqi double open comb slant, the Classic Shaving Enoch AC razor and the Gem MMOC.

No doubt there are closer shaving razors....I just don't have them and not sure I could handle those you mentioned even if I did. For me the Rocca, 3one6, Att S1, Yates, and Blackbird are my best performers that don't irritate my neck. The Rocca and 3one6 top the others by a small margin. I do have a Wunderbar on the way...I hear they are great performers as well....I shall soon find out.

No doubt there are closer shaving razors....I just don't have them and not sure I could handle those you mentioned even if I did. For me the Rocca, 3one6, Att S1, Yates, and Blackbird are my best performers that don't irritate my neck. The Rocca and 3one6 top the others by a small margin. I do have a Wunderbar on the way...I hear they are great performers as well....I shall soon find out.
You prefer the Rocca over the Blackbird? Interesting... I have the Rocca, I think people are missing riding the safety bar. It's incredibly smooth this way and the audible feedback is amazing. But I'm interested how the Blackbird compares.

You prefer the Rocca over the Blackbird? Interesting... I have the Rocca, I think people are missing riding the safety bar. It's incredibly smooth this way and the audible feedback is amazing. But I'm interested how the Blackbird compares.

I only say that due to less blade feel. The Blackbird is a fantastic razor and I use it often. It may be a bit more efficient than the Rocca, but I've just come to prefer razors that are a little less blade forward. I will never get rid of my Blackbird as it's in my top tier rotation and my first Artisan type razor I purchased. Plus it looks cool. The Rocca is a little smoother and I love the birch handle.

I only say that due to less blade feel. The Blackbird is a fantastic razor and I use it often. It may be a bit more efficient than the Rocca, but I've just come to prefer razors that are a little less blade forward. I will never get rid of my Blackbird as it's in my top tier rotation and my first Artisan type razor I purchased. Plus it looks cool. The Rocca is a little smoother and I love the birch handle.
Do let us know about your experience with the Wunderbar.
It's the only slant that I'm interested in.

Edit :I asked you because like you, I also don't prefer too much blade exposure and still like the efficiency.

I just finished spending two weeks shaving every day with the 3ONE6. I never had a bad shave. When I returned home I had a new razor that arrived in the mail, a Blackland Dart. I've now used the Dart for the past three days, and I would rate it above both the Rocca and the 3ONE6. I find it equally comfortable but somewhat more efficient. It is also wonderfully solid feeling and well balanced in my hand.

Do let us know about your experience with the Wunderbar.
It's the only slant that I'm interested in.

Edit :I asked you because like you, I also don't prefer too much blade exposure and still like the efficiency.

The Wunderbar is super smooth and efficient. For me it's a little too much for daily shaves. I am impressed with its comfort and closeness. If I use it every other day, it provides some of the best shaves I've ever had. If interested, I may be willing to sell it as I do prefer to shave daily.

The Wunderbar is super smooth and efficient. For me it's a little too much for daily shaves. I am impressed with its comfort and closeness. If I use it every other day, it provides some of the best shaves I've ever had. If interested, I may be willing to sell it as I do prefer to shave daily.
Ah man, I'm not in the US.
I too shave daily, and using Game Changer OC 84.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
No worries. I've never used the GC so I don't know how they compare. The Wunderbar is a nice razor if you like slants.
I have both. The Wunderbar is a great razor. But the GC is super smooth. Like butter. The Wunderbar has a bit of blade feel, and it a bit more efficient. The GC has no blade feel at all and shave just fine. I have had the 84p and 84oc. I find the 84oc is a bit rougher that the 84p, but the shave results are quite comparable. So I sold the 84oc baseplate. I still have the Wunderbar, but i dont really use it a lot. The 84p was high in my rotation until i started getting into the Charcoal Goods and Wolfman razors. I find now that it kind of sits there on the shelf next to the Wunderbar. If I had to shave every day for the rest of my life with the GC 84p, I would not be disappointed. But since I have Wolfman and Charcoal goods razors at my disposal, the Razorock razors have mostly slipped out of the regular rotation. ymmv.

Edit: And while we are on the subject, I have the 3one6 as well, and love it. Falls in line with the Game Changers pretty well. I dont have a Rocca, but have wanted to pick one up since they came out.

Top Bottom