What's new

Timeless .95 tips?

I am still fairly new to DE shaving. I only have a handful of shaves under my belt.
I recently purchased a Timeless TI .95 and I have shaved three times with it now in three consecutive days.
The blades I am using are Perma-sharp super. I also have some Voskhods, but I have not yet tried them in the Timeless.

I have struggled to get a comfortable shave so far, even though I make sure my touch is really light. I get quite a bit of burn on my lower neck and other parts of my face. The alum block gives me a lot of sting after each shave. I'm assuming my angle or my technique is to blame? Or could it be that the blades are too sharp for daily shaving on my skin?

As far as beard prep, I use a face scrub to raise the hairs and get rid of dirt, etc.
I then apply some lather with my brush and rub it in with my fingers, before completing the face lathering process with my brush.
I use a soap that I have mixed myself (Tabac, MWF, D.R. Harris, A&E Revolution).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Just had another horrible three-pass shave with the same setup.
I am using the SB plate, by the way.
I'll probably change blades tomorrow and try the Voskhod.

5F369B2D-58B9-40EC-9A45-F303B56E4695_1_201_a.jpeg
BF120CF0-1D80-4D26-A65E-625666F40443_1_201_a.jpeg

Sorry to hear about your experience.
Try using less pressure (you probably know this). A pre-shave cream can help, but with a good soap it should not be necessary. A more hydrated lather helps.
Heavy face lathering can also cause some irritation. I experienced this with a boar brush. I blamed the razor:)
If you are going against the grain, just try two across the grain passes, even one after the first pass and some touch ups.
For me a shallow angle (riding the cap) works best if i am going against the grain. On the firs pass i do not think it makes that much of a difference. It depends on how your beard grows. If it grows flat to the skin a steeper angle might be beneficial on the first pass. Who knows. All i know is that the scraping toast sound is something i try to avoid.

Just remember that the Perma-sharp is a really sharp blade, especially on the second use. I believe it is Teflon coated. The coating wears off quite fast. I think they were developed for Turkish barber use. So, maybe they are not intended to be used for more then one shave. I like these blades, but i tend to throw them away after three uses.
I like the Voskhod blade, but i have not tried it in the TI 0.95.
I really like the Gillette 7 Yellow in more efficient razors, like the Rex Ambassador and the R41.
As you know blades are really a personal preference. The Perma-sharp is one of my favorites, just know it is almost as sharp as a Feather blade (at least on the second use/pass).

Sorry to hear about your experience.
Try using less pressure (you probably know this). A pre-shave cream can help, but with a good soap it should not be necessary. A more hydrated lather helps.
Heavy face lathering can also cause some irritation. I experienced this with a boar brush. I blamed the razor:)
If you are going against the grain, just try two across the grain passes, even one after the first pass and some touch ups.
For me a shallow angle (riding the cap) works best if i am going against the grain. On the firs pass i do not think it makes that much of a difference. It depends on how your beard grows. If it grows flat to the skin a steeper angle might be beneficial on the first pass. Who knows. All i know is that the scraping toast sound is something i try to avoid.

Just remember that the Perma-sharp is a really sharp blade, especially on the second use. I believe it is Teflon coated. The coating wears off quite fast. I think they were developed for Turkish barber use. So, maybe they are not intended to be used for more then one shave. I like these blades, but i tend to throw them away after three uses.
I like the Voskhod blade, but i have not tried it in the TI 0.95.
I really like the Gillette 7 Yellow in more efficient razors, like the Rex Ambassador and the R41.
As you know blades are really a personal preference. The Perma-sharp is one of my favorites, just know it is almost as sharp as a Feather blade (at least on the second use/pass).

Thanks for the reply.

I am definitely using a light touch; I don't think it can be any lighter... so it might be that my angle is slightly off on the ATG pass, as you say. But then again, I've never been able to get a comfortable shave on consecutive days -- be that with straights or DE's -- daily shaving has never worked for me. I've had four attempts at getting it right with the Permasharps and it hasn't worked so far. I'd like to think that my skin is a bit sensitive, so it might be that the blades are too sharp for me... especially for daily shaving.

I'll try the Voshkods tomorrow and see how it goes.

Welcome aboard!

It often takes me awhile to ‘dial in‘ a new razor. Key issues are to figure out the optimal angle, whether to ride the bar or the cap, etc. Next step is to figure out a good blade/blades that work well with that razor. In other words, there are lots of moving parts at this point as your technique is also evolving!

That said, most irritation results from pressure and/or a suboptimal razor angle.

Stick with this and you will get the results you want!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I would totally skip the "face scrub" - complete waste and causes irritation. Instead, a good old fashioned "barber's face prep".

You have some of the best soaps out there, not sure why you'd mix them together, but anyhow - these are all top soaps, any will do.

Make sure your lather is well hydrated. The way to know is when you see the sheen appear. I'd mix the lather in a bowl or mug, as it is easier for a beginner to control the water ratio (adding water slowly).

Last, but not least - less pressure and try shallow angle.

Good luck!

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Do you shave every day? It could be that daily shaving with the Timeless could be a tad too much for your skin at the moment. Alternating with a milder razor may help. I agree about using a pre shave cream it will help.

I would totally skip the "face scrub" - complete waste and causes irritation. Instead, a good old fashioned "barber's face prep".

You have some of the best soaps out there, not sure why you'd mix them together, but anyhow - these are all top soaps, any will do.

Make sure your lather is well hydrated. The way to know is when you see the sheen appear. I'd mix the lather in a bowl or mug, as it is easier for a beginner to control the water ratio (adding water slowly).

Last, but not least - less pressure and try shallow angle.

Good luck!

Thanks.

I was initially using Tabac (which I love), but I just wanted a bit of lanolin to the mix; so I mixed it with some MWF and A&E (this particular soap from A&E was really soft, so I decided to mix it in with the hard soaps). I usually face lather and dip the tips in some distilled water until I see the sheen.

Now when you say "barber's face prep", do you mean rubbing the soap in with my fingers and applying a hot towel over my face?

I'll play around with the angle tomorrow.

Do you shave every day? It could be that daily shaving with the Timeless could be a tad too much for your skin at the moment. Alternating with a milder razor may help. I agree about using a pre shave cream it will help.

Yeah, I've been shaving daily as of lately.

I also own a Rockwell 6S, and it definitely feels milder than the Timeless .95 -- even on plate 6. Even with the Rockwell I still couldn't get an irritation-free shave if I was shaving daily.

I like to use efficient razors, but if i am shaving every day i may use a smoother blade, or a less efficient razor.
Personally could not shave every day with my Tatara Nodachi. It just feels like i have removed a layer of my skin on the second day using it. On two days of growth it is grate. I can shave every day using a straight razor or a feather SS with no irritation.
I may start the week with a straight razor or an efficient razor and shave the next day with a milder DE, and finish the week with my Vector.
So it might help to have some variation to play with.
I have also been using a pre-shave after the first pass. For me it seems like most of the irritation comes from the second and third pass.
One bad shave can really mess up the week:)
Good luck.

I like to use efficient razors, but if i am shaving every day i may use a smoother blade, or a less efficient razor.
Personally could not shave every day with my Tatara Nodachi. It just feels like i have removed a layer of my skin on the second day using it. On two days of growth it is grate. I can shave every day using a straight razor or a feather SS with no irritation.
I may start the week with a straight razor or an efficient razor and shave the next day with a milder DE, and finish the week with my Vector.
So it might help to have some variation to play with.
I have also been using a pre-shave after the first pass. For me it seems like most of the irritation comes from the second and third pass.
One bad shave can really mess up the week:)
Good luck.

I moved to DE's by way of straights as a means of finding a solution to daily shaving. I have no problem getting a comfortable, irritation-free BBS shave after a few days of growth with my Wade & Butcher near wedge, but if I had to shave again the following day, I would invariably end up with quite a bit of razor burn on my lower neck, and often the moustache area, as well.... and that's with keeping a fairly flat angle to the skin on the ATG pass and using a light touch. I even tried removing the ATG pass entirely, but I still couldn't get good results.

But anyway, I would like to be able to use DE's from now on.

What pre-shave have you found that works for you?

This is probably covered in other threads. If you have not tried the Blackland Vector, this was an eye opener for me. I use it with Proline blades. Even with a generous amount of pressure i never get irritation with this razor. I can get away with minimal prep, and the results are really good every shave. It is pricey, but this is the last razor i would let go.

The Cube, proraso or clarins pre shave oil. This is the only oil i have used that worked for me.
View attachment 1287086

Have you definitely noticed a difference with these pre-shave products? I've tried the Proraso green pre-shave and I didn't notice any difference.

The Blackland Vector does look interesting... it will probably allow you to get quite a flat angle on the ATG pass... I'm just not sure the angle is my issue, though. As I say, I've tried a flat angle and a light touch on the ATG pass with my straight razor and it still gave me razor burn... and I had a coticule edge on it!

For me it helps a little. A good soap is enough. I use pre shave products when i use a straight razor and sometimes if i use an efficient de.
Cold water can also help.
The biggest difference for me is the shower before the shave.

Prep and technique are vital. My experience with the Timeless SS .9SB was that it was very efficient but just too aggressive for me on a daily basis. I moved to the Timeless SS .68SB then on to the Ti .68SB and found those to be best for me. I still get BBS shaves in 2 1/2 passes. WTG, ACG and XTG only on my neck and chin.

Prep and technique are vital. My experience with the Timeless SS .9SB was that it was very efficient but just too aggressive for me on a daily basis. I moved to the Timeless SS .68SB then on to the Ti .68SB and found those to be best for me. I still get BBS shaves in 2 1/2 passes. WTG, ACG and XTG only on my neck and chin.

Interesting. What blades do you use with the TI .68SB?
And what prep routine have you found that works for you?

Interesting. What blades do you use with the TI .68SB?
And what prep routine have you found that works for you?
I prefer the Gillette Platinum with Gillette Silver Blue next in the TI .68SB. My prep is a warm shower and Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap with a splash of warm water before lathering.

A post-shave balm such as Nivea may help over time to give your skin some elasticity that will reduce the chance of irritation due to tugging and inadvertent excess pressure.

I had more irritation prior to starting a routine that includes a post-shave balm. Now, I can't remember the last time I had any irritation. The Rockwell plate 6 and Karve D are my most frequent choices, and the Karve D is roughly equivalent to the TI .95.

Top Bottom