What's new

Timeless 68 vs bronze

I have a 34C and both the Timeless Bronze and the Timeless .68. The Bronze is milder than the .68 on my face. If the Merkur 34C is too mild for you, you probably won't find the Bronze enough for you. The .68 might be, but it's pretty close to the 34C in my judgment. If you go with the .68, be prepared to test-drive it and decide what you really want is the .95 base plate. 30 day exchange period.

The Bronze is a gorgeous razor though. So gorgeous I don't care that it doesn't give me a BBS shave. I love to use it anyway, and the shave is perfectly fine. The .68 (like all Timeless razors) is just an impeccable work of art. I get fantastic shaves with it too. But it's pricey.

I also have both the Rockwell 6S and 6C. They shave identically in my opinion. The 6C is much prettier, but it's Zamak. The 6S is more industrial looking, but it's a tank and will outlive Western civilization.

Trade-offs....

I agree with what's been said already and would further iterate that the Bronze may be too mild for you. I've benched the Rockwell 6S as the daily in favour of the Bronze with the .68 SB as a Sunday drive or for special events. Both seem to like the Perma-Sharp Super.

Last week, for the first time, I managed to remove six days of growth with the Bronze in three passes, though it does it's best work as a quick one-pass shaver. It does very little damage and doesn't quite achieve the same BBS smoothness as something more aggressive, but as a daily shave for the office it's extremely good.

The .68 SB gets a better result with a little more care and attention. However, if you feel that the 34 isn't aggressive enough the timeless .95 may be the better option?

Finally, if fit/finish aren't that important you'd be very well served by the Rockwell 6S/6C. It can do both, if not with quite the same finesse.

Shame the guys at Timeless can't spare a couple of returned plates for a pass-around. I understand they don't resell them, so that would put them to good use, and ultimately result in additional sales with fewer returns. I'd love to compare the Smooth, Scalloped, and OC in the .68, and Bronze to see how smooth & close they are as daily drivers for a week.

Do they visit the board, or does anybody have a relationship with them to ask?

Shame the guys at Timeless can't spare a couple of returned plates for a pass-around. .....

I'm relatively new here and am a former chiropractor who has taught health science at the college level. My feeling is that there's a potential issue with sterility, sanitation and liability with the latter being pre-eminent.

I am still somewhat confused after reading this discussion. I have the 34c and the 6S. I am looking for something nicer that doesn't break my wallet. I am not a daily shaver. I shave every other day mainly because I've not found a razor that doesn't irritate my skin when shaved with on consecutive days. 6S on R3 does a good job of it and is my go to at the moment.

Does the bronze fit the bill ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Well, I used to shave with the Rockwel 6S on plate #3 daily, now I shave with the Bronze SB daily and the .68 SB stainless when I want a good close shave. I still think the Bronze SB is a fraction milder that the #3 plate, but it's so quick and easy to use it doesn't really matter.

If you want a better shave than the Rockwell the stainless series is a good bet. If you're happy with the quality of your shave and want something prettier then maybe the Bronze will fit the bill and give you the option to shave more regularly. Finally, if the Rockwell does nothing wrong you could just do this:
img_20170922_173625-1-jpg.822861

Well, I used to shave with the Rockwel 6S on plate #3 daily, now I shave with the Bronze SB daily and the .68 SB stainless when I want a good close shave. I still think the Bronze SB is a fraction milder that the #3 plate, but it's so quick and easy to use it doesn't really matter.

If you want a better shave than the Rockwell the stainless series is a good bet. If you're happy with the quality of your shave and want something prettier then maybe the Bronze will fit the bill and give you the option to shave more regularly. Finally, if the Rockwell does nothing wrong you could just do this:

:thumbup:

Now you've got me wanting to polish up one of my 6s's :)

I am looking for a daily driver.
I currently have a 34C and a Gillette NEW O.C. SC.
I feel that the 34C is too mild for me as I constantly have stubble left over after 3-4 passes and need to do a lot of buffing (creating irritation).
The NEW is a little too aggressive for me as I need to shave daily. It is great on 2-3 days growth but is just too much for me to shave with on a daily basis. I get razor burn after using this razor after a couple of days and I need to let my skin heal before shaving again.
I am wondering about the timeless razors. I have heard that the 68 is as mild as the 34C but is more efficient.
Not sure how the bronze is in comparison.
I like the price of the bronze (well not really) but may be willing to buy that one to try it out.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

I hope I don’t have RAD and that I will keep wanting new razors. I can’t afford this. Yikes.

Same here. 34C on the Mild side for me. Can't get a BBS with that one.

We'll I am finding myself inclined towards the bronze. If I needed a closer shave some odd weekend I can simply have one with a 6 plate and be done with it.
Does this make sense ?
And Man that polished 6S looks badass !

What's involved in polishing that? Does it take a long time?

I am looking for a daily driver.
I currently have a 34C and a Gillette NEW O.C. SC.
I feel that the 34C is too mild for me as I constantly have stubble left over after 3-4 passes and need to do a lot of buffing (creating irritation).
The NEW is a little too aggressive for me as I need to shave daily. It is great on 2-3 days growth but is just too much for me to shave with on a daily basis. I get razor burn after using this razor after a couple of days and I need to let my skin heal before shaving again.
I am wondering about the timeless razors. I have heard that the 68 is as mild as the 34C but is more efficient.
Not sure how the bronze is in comparison.
I like the price of the bronze (well not really) but may be willing to buy that one to try it out.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

I hope I don’t have RAD and that I will keep wanting new razors. I can’t afford this. Yikes.
I have the timeless 68 and love it. I recently got the timeless bronze but haven't tried it yet because it looks so awesome and I want to photograph it before I start using it.

I am still somewhat confused after reading this discussion. I have the 34c and the 6S. I am looking for something nicer that doesn't break my wallet. I am not a daily shaver. I shave every other day mainly because I've not found a razor that doesn't irritate my skin when shaved with on consecutive days. 6S on R3 does a good job of it and is my go to at the moment.

Does the bronze fit the bill ?

Used my Timeless Bronze today with a second-use PolSilver blade in it, on a two-day face of mild stubble.

I also used Mickey Lee's peppermint pre-shave, after a hot shower and a good face wash.

For me, it was a rough, aggressive shave, after three passes. Definitely not as smooth as the Israeli Personna Reds in this razor (which also weren't nearly as smooth as my Timeless 0.68 SB) MUCH more blade feel, which I do NOT like in a razor. My mug was sore from the experience too...

Will try a Perma Sharp next, as a different blade in a given razor can make a tremendous difference in shave feel. I'll post my thoughts when I do.

Still, and I don't know what your budget will allow, it really is hard to beat the Timeless 0.68 SB. Add a hundred bucks to what you would shell out for the Bronze, and you got the stainless (if you can postpone the stand up front).

Blades are relatively cheap, and while expensive brushes and soaps also abound, the razor for me, is THE most important expense. It's the instrument you're using for the cutting of hair on your FACE. If I'm trimming a shaving budget...it definitely ain't on the razor.

We also sound very similar in face sensitivity and beard coarseness and growth rate--if daily shaving often causes you irritation.

Since switching to DE, my shaves have not only become much more enjoyable, but the result of a MUCH closer cut means I need to shave less often. Three passes usually yields two days.

It also means my skin needs to heal too. Keeping it washed and moisturized between shaves has made a profound difference in feel AND appearance, and I've been hearing about it as well.

So, perhaps a day off between BBS bliss isn't such a bad idea...

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Used my Timeless Bronze today with a second-use PolSilver blade in it, on a two-day face of mild stubble.

I also used Mickey Lee's peppermint pre-shave, after a hot shower and a good face wash.

For me, it was a rough, aggressive shave, after three passes. Definitely not as smooth as the Israeli Personna Reds in this razor (which also weren't nearly as smooth as my Timeless 0.68 SB) MUCH more blade feel, which I do NOT like in a razor. My mug was sore from the experience too...

Will try a Perma Sharp next, as a different blade in a given razor can make a tremendous difference in shave feel. I'll post my thoughts when I do.

Still, and I don't know what your budget will allow, it really is hard to beat the Timeless 0.68 SB. Add a hundred bucks to what you would shell out for the Bronze, and you got the stainless (if you can postpone the stand up front).

Blades are relatively cheap, and while expensive brushes and soaps also abound, the razor for me, is THE most important expense. It's the instrument you're using for the cutting of hair on your FACE. If I'm trimming a shaving budget...it definitely ain't on the razor.

We also sound very similar in face sensitivity and beard coarseness and growth rate--if daily shaving often causes you irritation.

Since switching to DE, my shaves have not only become much more enjoyable, but the result of a MUCH closer cut means I need to shave less often. Three passes usually yields two days.

It also means my skin needs to heal too. Keeping it washed and moisturized between shaves has made a profound difference in feel AND appearance, and I've been hearing about it as well.

So, perhaps a day off between BBS bliss isn't such a bad idea...
Sorry which bronze do you have? SB or oc .

Used doesn't bother me as long as it's being sold as used. Since they offer a 30 day return policy those returned parts and pieces have to go somewhere, so why not clean them up, soak them in barbicide and sell them at a discount to those who would rather get them at a lower cost. I usually hit up the BST first to try and help out a forum member but it's another option if there's nothing available there.

Kinda like a car lot having new and used cars for sale. You can buy whatever one you want to.
I'd agree with you but it's against the law for a retailer to resell a razor because of sanitary reasons and the possible transfer of diseases etc. I know Timeless does not resell their razors but gives them away. That is one of the reasons I mentioned that I think some people take advantage of their return policy but hey they are offering it so it's all a personal thing but I wish more people knew that they don't just clean it and resell a razor once they return it.. Personally I'd feel bad sending a razor back knowing that it was not going to be sold and they would be losing money. I had this discussion with Brian from Charcoal and he knows a lot more detail about these laws that at the time I was totally unaware of. BTW I was not asking him for a refund or trying to return a razor for exchange but just talking shaving, razors and such.
Just thought you'd like to know.
:thumbsup:

I'd agree with you but it's against the law for a retailer to resell a razor because of sanitary reasons and the possible transfer of diseases etc. I know Timeless does not resell their razors but gives them away. That is one of the reasons I mentioned that I think some people take advantage of their return policy but hey they are offering it so it's all a personal thing but I wish more people knew that they don't just clean it and resell a razor once they return it.. Personally I'd feel bad sending a razor back knowing that it was not going to be sold and they would be losing money. I had this discussion with Brian from Charcoal and he knows a lot more detail about these laws that at the time I was totally unaware of. BTW I was not asking him for a refund or trying to return a razor for exchange but just talking shaving, razors and such.
Just thought you'd like to know.
:thumbsup:

I was not aware of that either. Good info.

Were I to conduct a used razor sale privately, I would typically and thoroughly clean the razor and soak it for some time in rubbing alcohol for sterilization.

Top Bottom