What's new

Timeless 68 vs bronze

I am looking for a daily driver.
I currently have a 34C and a Gillette NEW O.C. SC.
I feel that the 34C is too mild for me as I constantly have stubble left over after 3-4 passes and need to do a lot of buffing (creating irritation).
The NEW is a little too aggressive for me as I need to shave daily. It is great on 2-3 days growth but is just too much for me to shave with on a daily basis. I get razor burn after using this razor after a couple of days and I need to let my skin heal before shaving again.
I am wondering about the timeless razors. I have heard that the 68 is as mild as the 34C but is more efficient.
Not sure how the bronze is in comparison.
I like the price of the bronze (well not really) but may be willing to buy that one to try it out.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

I hope I don’t have RAD and that I will keep wanting new razors. I can’t afford this. Yikes.

Get yourself a Rockwell 6s or 6c (more budget friendly). That way you get 6 different tries on what really suits you. Plus it is pretty much consensus that the Rockwell is a smoother shave at half the price.
I don't own a Timeless, but other than the Rockwell I've read of people saying it isn't that smooth of a shaver. YMMV of course.

Get yourself a Rockwell 6s or 6c (more budget friendly). That way you get 6 different tries on what really suits you. Plus it is pretty much consensus that the Rockwell is a smoother shave at half the price.
I don't own a Timeless, but other than the Rockwell I've read of people saying it isn't that smooth of a shaver. YMMV of course.

+1 on what he ^^^^^^ said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the above. I have both the 6s and the Timeless .68. The 6s is an outstanding razor and the 6c is getting similar reviews at about half the price. The Timeless is certainly a “nicer” razor - I find it a bit smoother and the fit and finish are well above the 6s - but you pay a significant premium for that small difference. For your situation, the 6s or 6c provides you a nice upgrade with options for you to find your ideal level of aggressiveness, and all at a lower price point. I’d suggest starting there and if that doesn’t kill your RAD, you can always save up for the Timeless and piece it together. Best of luck!

If you have your heart set on a Timeless try the Bronze first, it is milder than the 68. If it is not agresive enough you got 30 days to return and get the 68. I use a KAI blade in my Bronze and get a BBS after 3 passes. I tend to get more weapers with the 68.

YMMV. Depends on what you really want. If quality of workmanship is the point then get the Timeless. If 'value/$' is the point then you can justify the other purchase. (Or you can go the B&B route, "GET BOTH!)

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
YMMV. Depends on what you really want. If quality of workmanship is the point then get the Timeless. If 'value/$' is the point then you can justify the other purchase. (Or you can go the B&B route, "GET BOTH!)
"GET BOTH," of course, is clearly the most rational (and satisfying) option.

I have a 34c HD which I use when travelling / visiting family. Have you thought about getting a Above The Tie M2? I have the M2, R1 and H2 plate.

"GET BOTH," of course, is clearly the most rational (and satisfying) option.

Would love to get both and may do that...eventually (but I am sure they will have newer versions by the time I can afford them).

I have a 34c HD which I use when travelling / visiting family. Have you thought about getting a Above The Tie M2? I have the M2, R1 and H2 plate.

I have looked at the ATT and am just don’t know which one to look at.

I have actually thought about aluminum versions as well but not sure how they hold up in the long run and how they would actually shave.

Last edited:
I have actually thought about aluminum versions as well but not sure how they hold up in the long run and how they would actually shave.

I have the Calypso M1. Shaves very nice especially with a Perma Sharp blade. I wouldnt be concerned how it holds up over time, mainly because it all comes down to maintenance. Good quality aluminum will last you as long as stainless steel if you dont abuse it. Stainless Steel is getting a lot of attention because folks get told they won't rust. Which is simply not true as anyone with basic metallurgic knowledge can confirm - stainless steel is just more robust. But it will rust if not looked after properly.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I think the 68 oc is my perfect razor. Just had a week if trying the rr mamba and went back to timeless yesterday. Its not aggressive as much as its efficient. In fact I had no idea what efficient meant until the 68. I found out ATT sells its used pieces so I won't buy retail from there.

I think the 68 oc is my perfect razor. Just had a week if trying the rr mamba and went back to timeless yesterday. Its not aggressive as much as its efficient. In fact I had no idea what efficient meant until the 68. I found out ATT sells its used pieces so I won't buy retail from there.

The Timeless .68 SB is my favorite razor and I use it about 95% of the time. It sits next to several really high end hard to get razors that don't see much use anymore.

About ATT, just to clarify ATT sells it's returned pieces as used items on it's website at a lower cost. They don't misrepresent them as new items and charge new item prices for them. If you want a better deal and are willing to purchase used items then they are available for you. If you prefer new then you can order new and be assured that you're getting new items.

My suggestion is to buy the .68 Timeless with a dual baseplate. OC on one side and SB on the other. It's a few bucks more but worth having the ability to start a pass with the OC and finish with the SB for example. Also recommend is the 85mm barber pole handle unless you have really big hands, then I'd say go for the 100mm BP handle. I have both the Pineapple 100 and Barber pole 100 and like the BP better and although I like both I now prefer the shorter version of the BP handle as the balance is perfect IMO.
If your going the Rockwell route I'd go for the 6c it's half the price and in my opinion has better glide to it than the 6s satin finished SS version which I find has some drag to it like most other SS satin finished razors do. They both will give you a darn good shave but for me they are sort of a " meah razors " and kind of white bread boring to be honest but that's just my opinion and the opinion of a few other members on here that I talk to frequently who feel the same way I do about the Rockwells. Good shavers just so of boring but hey a lot of members on here love it and endorse it so that's your call. Personally if I'd rather put the same money into a vintage razor than a Rockwell.

To me the Timeless is a long term keeper and my .95 dual plate is one of the top 5 shavers in my den so I'd say if money isn't an issue go for the Timeless and based on what you wrote I'd say go with the .68 gap and I'd consider the dualie.

With a 30 day return policy you can always send it back although IMO to many people take advantage of their generous policy and do the ole " Let me try one and then send it back before the 30 days are up and do so just so they can say oh yeah I've tried a Timeless it's ok but I wouldn't spend that much on a razor.
I'd also call Matt and have a talk with him about your shaving needs. Good guy and very helpful.

Good luck with whatever razor you go with. :a17:

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The Timeless .68 SB is my favorite razor and I use it about 95% of the time. It sits next to several really high end hard to get razors that don't see much use anymore.

About ATT, just to clarify ATT sells it's returned pieces as used items on it's website at a lower cost. They don't misrepresent them as new items and charge new item prices for them. If you want a better deal and are willing to purchase used items then they are available for you. If you prefer new then you can order new and be assured that you're getting new items.
Point taken. And I'm not looking to start trouble. I have 2 ATT razors. But the cheapskate in me bristles at finding out they sell used base plates (after buying another at retail)

Point taken. And I'm not looking to start trouble. I have 2 ATT razors. But the cheapskate in me bristles at finding out they sell used base plates (after buying another at retail)

Used doesn't bother me as long as it's being sold as used. Since they offer a 30 day return policy those returned parts and pieces have to go somewhere, so why not clean them up, soak them in barbicide and sell them at a discount to those who would rather get them at a lower cost. I usually hit up the BST first to try and help out a forum member but it's another option if there's nothing available there.

Kinda like a car lot having new and used cars for sale. You can buy whatever one you want to.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I agree. But I never take advantage of return periods. And I paid retail for another baseplate. Then found out they sell used ones. Remember Kramer said retail is for suckers. Lol. All I'm saying is its the first time I felt out of the loop where the seller has used items I didn't know about it feels different that buying in the bst board. I spend a lot on this hobby but little things like that get under my skin.

Got the Timeless 0.68 straight and scalloped. Incredible instrument! I am one who can dig longer handles without NBA-sized hands. Much more control, I find. And, any extra weight is all the more welcomed too.

I also find anything more than aggression in the 0.68 range isn't good for my skin, used daily. Good thing both razors (and others I have) give shaves that'll last a couple days. Skin healing be important.

That said, I'm hoping the Timeless Bronze can be a daily affair occasionally. I love my Rockwell onna 2-plate for that purpose, and a Timeless in the same range would be a sweet deal.

We'll see when it arrives...

Got the Timeless 0.68 straight and scalloped. Incredible instrument! I am one who can dig longer handles without NBA-sized hands. Much more control, I find. And, any extra weight is all the more welcomed too.

I also find anything more than aggression in the 0.68 range isn't good for my skin, used daily. Good thing both razors (and others I have) give shaves that'll last a couple days. Skin healing be important.

That said, I'm hoping the Timeless Bronze can be a daily affair occasionally. I love my Rockwell onna 2-plate for that purpose, and a Timeless in the same range would be a sweet deal.

We'll see when it arrives...

Looking forward to your report with the bronze.

I will be looking into the 6S and 6C as well.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Looking forward to your report with the bronze.

I will be looking into the 6S and 6C as well.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

First use today.

I also used Mike's natural soap, Mickey Lee's peppermint pre-shave, and Cremo face wash...after a shower.

Popped in a new Israeli red Personna, and went to work.

I actually have a couple tiny burrs on the top plate corners of my Timeless, but fortunately, these didn't affect anything as far as I can tell.

The Bronze looks cool and feels rustic to me. It is definitely mild (Rockwell 2/3-plate), which is what I wanted for those daily periods with only a bit of stubble.

I'll say here what I said to them, in response to a request for feedback. It's beautiful and relatively mild, but not as smooth on the face as the Rockwell, likely because it lacks a radiused edge on its top plate. That would've made a big difference IMO.

Still, it's what I prefer for the most part, and I got a very nice shave (BBS) the first time out.

Milder razors are often more forgiving razors too. It also means I can afford to gain practice and experience with a razor, especially during the buffing stage, with minimal risk of overdoing it.

Knowing when to stop...is also important. We can always git dem stragglers next time;)

Top Bottom