What's new

Timeless .095 technique - help

Hey everyone - so recently I purchased a Timeless .095 scalloped plate SS razor. (For a bit of background, I had been using an ATT Classic H for nearly three years.) At the same time I acquired the Timeless, I also purchased an ATT Windsor H. I shave every there days on average. Blades are typically Astra SP, GSB, Pol SI, Med Blues, Perma SS.

I was getting close, efficient shaves with the ATT Classic - one pass was enough with a touch up if I were in a hurry, two passes with touch up would yield a very close, comfortable shave. I get similar results with the Windsor.

The Timeless seems a little different. While it is a smoother razor, I don’t find it to be as efficient, particularly on the first pass. I have used it about half a dozen times so far.

The question is - is it me? Does the Timeless require a different angle? Am I just used to the ATT way? Is the Timeless just not right for me? Any input from your experience would be appreciated.

Thanks.

There is something unintuitive about the Timeless SS head design for me as well. I tried using the .68 plate and couldn't really get a close shave even after 3 passes. I just ordered the .95 plate and hopefully that will work better for me.

Three years is a LOOOONG time and you’ve acquired substantial muscle memory on your equipment (a key reason I don’t recommend newbies change their set-ups too often).

Given time, you may get to the same point with the Timeless. But you may not. I desperately wanted my birthyear vintage Gillette to be “the one” but my EJ89 Barley is super-intuitive for me so I reluctantly assigned my other razors to a display case.

My 2 cents? Try the Timeless for at least a month. If it still sucks, go back to what you know. Experience has narrowed my gear to one razor, two brushes and a handful only of soaps and creams. My brushes are a Chubby 1 in best, an M&F Chief from a group buy here and for lather I reach for Proraso Green (old formula), Cella, Mitchell’s Wool Fat and Irisch Moos (still got a few sticks). Nothing cures acquisition disorder (AD) like a bunch of “meh! shaves. Hope that helps...

Three years is a LOOOONG time and you’ve acquired substantial muscle memory on your equipment (a key reason I don’t recommend newbies change their set-ups too often).

Given time, you may get to the same point with the Timeless. But you may not. I desperately wanted my birthyear vintage Gillette to be “the one” but my EJ89 Barley is super-intuitive for me so I reluctantly assigned my other razors to a display case.

My 2 cents? Try the Timeless for at least a month. If it still sucks, go back to what you know. Experience has narrowed my gear to one razor, two brushes and a handful only of soaps and creams. My brushes are a Chubby 1 in best, an M&F Chief from a group buy here and for lather I reach for Proraso Green (old formula), Cella, Mitchell’s Wool Fat and Irisch Moos (still got a few sticks). Nothing cures acquisition disorder (AD) like a bunch of “meh! shaves. Hope that helps...

+1! Good advice! Give the Timeless a fair trial. Hope your opinion changes with time, but it may not!

The ‘good news’ is that you may already have your ‘destination razor!’ :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks, Mad Man and BigJ. I shaved on two days growth last night with the Timeless and it was a very smooth shave. I seem to have a little bit of a thing when I start off with it, but once I get going the angle seems to be working. The end result is similar to the ATT shaves but not as close. Smoother, yes, all day long smoother than the ATT (especially the Classic). But I’m still not getting that “Wow! I can practically go out of the house...” first pass that I get with ATT. I shall continue.

There is something unintuitive about the Timeless SS head design for me as well. I tried using the .68 plate and couldn't really get a close shave even after 3 passes. I just ordered the .95 plate and hopefully that will work better for me.

I hear you - was almost wondering if I should try the open comb plate.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
The Titanium Timeless Scalloped .95 is by far my favorite shaving razor . I usually Shave everyday but I took this last weekend off
So this morning I had 3 days worth of whisker's
Loaded with a Gillette Spoiler on its 4 use the shave was super smooth and like glass after 2 passes and a clean up.
My normal blade of choice is a Feather.
Probably the only real difference between the SS and the Ti is the weight .
But that's my face :)
Like others have said don't give up to early on the Timeless.
Med Prep blades work well for me too.
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200114082243922_COVER.jpg

Great shave today with the Timeless and a GSB on two days’ growth. 2 passes and a touch up. Best shave with it so far.

Another great shave with the .095 and a GSB On two days’ growth. Smooth. One little weeper on right side of lip, my fault. I’m starting to appreciate what the Timeless is all about. It is a keeper.

Do you people ride the cap or ride the bar? Do you change the angle when ATG vs WTG?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom