What's new

Time for my first PIF- Uncle Jon's Pipe Smoke

That said, after reading this thread,
DE Shaving helping to keep me sane....,drwevil is not in the drawing. It looks like he's had a tough time lately, so I am selecting him outright and I'll be mailing him the container of Uncle Jon's Pipe Smoke I originally bought for this PIF, so message me with your address and I'll get that out to you. I will buy another for the winner and have it mailed directly from Uncle Jon's.

That's just pure class, sir. I can't think of a better outcome for a PIF.

Cheers, friend. You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Keep up the good work.

Oh wow thanks.
Jeff you sure know how to tear a bloke up .. in a good way. Thank you for your support... all of you. It really means a lot.
I'm kind of lost for words.
B&B really is one of the top notch forums on the net. Certainly a safe place to share some personal stuff.

I am really going to have to get that journal going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's my pleasure, the least I can do. Though, now that I think about it, I should have just PMed you instead of putting it on the thread (I could have come up with an excuse why the other winner got his direct from Uncle Jon's). Oh well, too late now

It's my pleasure, the least I can do. Though, now that I think about it, I should have just PMed you instead of putting it on the thread (I could have come up with an excuse why the other winner got his direct from Uncle Jon's). Oh well, too late now

I don't mind at all...
Thanks again. I am more grateful than you know.

OK, it is time.

The numbers were drawn by assigning everyone a number and using a random number generator online (easier than hand writing everyone's name and pulling from a hat, and I got impatient).

Winner:

DelayedNeutron

So, be sure to send me your address and I'll order the second 2oz container from Uncle Jon's. I only ask that drwevil and DelayedNeutron post a review after a few shaves to let us know what they think.

They should be going out today or tomorrow (I waited until pulling the other winner to send out drwevil's).

OK, it is time.

The numbers were drawn by assigning everyone a number and using a random number generator online (easier than hand writing everyone's name and pulling from a hat, and I got impatient).

Winner:

DelayedNeutron

So, be sure to send me your address and I'll order the second 2oz container from Uncle Jon's. I only ask that drwevil and DelayedNeutron post a review after a few shaves to let us know what they think.

They should be going out today or tomorrow (I waited until pulling the other winner to send out drwevil's).

Consider it done. I like reviewing stuff. I might even do a video. [emoji1604]

DelayedNeutron, yours is currently "out for delivery" according to the USPS site so keep an eye out!

Remember, it is a thirsty soap. I look forward to hearing what you think.

@Jeff10236

Just got it about an hour ago! Thanks!!!!!

Immediately cracked it open and the scent is pretty phenomenal. I don't have it in front of me at the moment to give an accurate description but will follow up.

That said, the wife was immediately, "Let me try..." and she just gets a glazed over look and said, "You realize wearing that scent could be dangerous, right?"

Will lather it up tomorrow and give it a go.

Thanks again!

@Jeff10236

Just got it about an hour ago! Thanks!!!!!

Immediately cracked it open and the scent is pretty phenomenal. I don't have it in front of me at the moment to give an accurate description but will follow up.

That said, the wife was immediately, "Let me try..." and she just gets a glazed over look and said, "You realize wearing that scent could be dangerous, right?"

Will lather it up tomorrow and give it a go.

Thanks again!

If your wife likes the scent that much, maybe it might be dangerous for me to let you know that he also sells an aftershave in that scent :D

I'm looking forward to hearing about the shave.

Alright, so finally got around to using this soap today. I don't like trying new scents during the workweek, and this was the first weekend I had time to get a shave in. As a baseline, I'm coming from using primarily Proraso creams and Stirling soaps.

Jeff got the soap out super quick, and upon receiving it the wife and I both were very impressed with the scent straight from the puck. A smooth buttery blend of vanilla, darker fruit, refined sweet, and tobacco that while sweeter than most pipe tobaccos I've experienced, was very very enjoyable. The puck smells exactly like it looks--good enough to dollop some on your desert, but not sickeningly sweet.

2017-04-30 11.04.55.jpg

I loaded up what is becoming one of my go-to razors, a Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Prismatic with a fresh Astra SP blade. Brush was a Maggard 22mm Finest. Bloomed the soap with hot water while I showered and the scent exploded before I even started in with the brush. Soaked the brush during the shower, and only popped it once to remove water. Twice is my norm, but Jeff had warned this was a thirsty soap.

I ran the outside of the brush across the soap to start loading, then pressed lightly straight down and twirrled in both directions for 20-30 seconds. The container it came in was a bit small for loading, and soap was running out the sides. This is a good problem to have, as it means it's a full container with lots more soap to use! I would suggest the 4oz size though, as it looks to come in a larger container that would ease the loading process. Within a few circles on my face, I had a solid lather going and the smell was simply heavenly. The vanilla and dark fruit and smoke just took over the bathroom and the smokiness became a bit more apparent, while the vanilla and fruit notes held their own--smells very much like the straight puck. The later was very nice, slick, held up well on the face, and provided for a very nice 2 pass WTG and XTG shave. Maybe not the slickness of a Stirling soap, but better than my Prorasos. I had to do two separate thorough ATG mornings this past week for meetings, so I'm letting my face rest. That said, the brush had enough lather left in it after 2 passes to later up at least one more plus touchups, likely more.

I didn't have an AS that would work with the scent, so I just hit the face with the alum block with very little feedback. The brush cleaned up very easily in warm water, and there was no residue or "crud" in the razor head like I've had with a couple soaps I've tried. My face felt smooth and moisturized afterwards--I didn't miss skipping an AS splash. 8 hours in, including a sweaty trip to the feed and seed, and the scent is still lingering in a very nice way. The wife has complimented it multiple times today.

I would exactly call this a summer scent--I'll stick to my menthol lines for the days I'm sweating after a shower. But this one will definitely go into the rotation once things cool back off in the fall. A warm and hearty scent, making me think of sitting in leather chairs around a fireplace with a hot beverage.

Again, many thanks to @Jeff10236 for the very generous PIF. It is much appreciated on this end. Cheers!

I'm glad you liked it. Until today when I broke out my other favorite, TOBS Almond, I've shaved with Uncle Jon's Pipe Smoke everyday for a week or a little more (I even got a new soap I've been wanting to try, Cella, which smells heavenly in the container, and I kept using the Pipe Smoke). As for scents, I've found it complements most AS well. I usually use Proraso Red, Clubman, Clubman Vanilla, or Old Spice afterwards. Without an AS the smell lingers (in a nice way), but not as strongly as an AS of course. If you like the scent enough, Uncle Jon's sells a Pipe Smoke AS.

Drwevil, I messed up and misaddressed the package to you. Dyslexia (no, I'm not someone who jokes about typos and misspellings, I'm actually dyslexic), I flipped the city and province. I'm sure it would have got to you without trouble, but my OCD postman returned it to me and I haven't gotten around to getting it back to the post office. Probably get to it on Tues. My apologies.

I'm glad you liked it. Until today when I broke out my other favorite, TOBS Almond, I've shaved with Uncle Jon's Pipe Smoke everyday for a week or a little more (I even got a new soap I've been wanting to try, Cella, which smells heavenly in the container, and I kept using the Pipe Smoke). As for scents, I've found it complements most AS well. I usually use Proraso Red, Clubman, Clubman Vanilla, or Old Spice afterwards. Without an AS the smell lingers (in a nice way), but not as strongly as an AS of course. If you like the scent enough, Uncle Jon's sells a Pipe Smoke AS.

Drwevil, I messed up and misaddressed the package to you. Dyslexia (no, I'm not someone who jokes about typos and misspellings, I'm actually dyslexic), I flipped the city and province. I'm sure it would have got to you without trouble, but my OCD postman returned it to me and I haven't gotten around to getting it back to the post office. Probably get to it on Tues. My apologies.

Interesting. I have all of those AS's in stock except for Old Spice--I was stuck on the sweetness and maybe not the bit of sandalwood in there. Will give it another go with A/S.

Top Bottom