What's new

Time for Alcohol on the Skin?

I think some of us are missing the point. I'm only suggesting alcohol on facial skin may kill some of the cooties associated with the current health crisis. I'm not addressing the pro's and the con's of the type of after shave one may choose to use after shaving.

We are counseled to keep our hands away from our faces, nose, and eyes. We don't want germs on our faces, and alcohol can kill germs. The current crisis calls for prudence and an overabundance of caution. I want to think we all can agree on that.

Therefore I have resumed using alcohol-based after shave lotion, though personally it's not my preference.
In the same spirit, while I would prefer to drink green tea or almond milk, out of an abundance of caution I'm switching to 90 proof bourbon. You can't be too careful.

In the same spirit, while I would prefer to drink green tea or almond milk, out of an abundance of caution I'm switching to 90 proof bourbon. You can't be too careful.

1584636809357.png
151 proof rum would be more effective.

Like other(s) commented above, I like the sting of alcohol based A/S s. They make minor stubble stand up for any final buffing off.

I'm often an outlier, but I don't get a burn from my alcohol splashes (except Captain's Choice Cat o' Nine Tails, which is partly why I love that aftershave). Several alcohol-based aftershaves, including Maol Grooming, Chatillon Lux and Declaration Grooming, are so chock-full of face food that they feel more like balms than alcohol splashes.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am a very handsome man, so downright good-looking that strangers often ask, "I hate to intrude, sir, but please share your skin care regimen with me." I use an alcohol-based aftershave. It feels clean and fresh - and frankly, it's the right thing to do. When the humidity is low, (like when the heat is on), I also moisturize with some balm or similar substance. Take a look at my avatar. It's working.
Man.... I coulda wrote the same thing. I'm always gettin' stopped by homely strangers!

I had no idea this thread was about killing virus. There is ZERO chance your splash will contain enough alcohol to kill it. It takes 60%+ alcohol content.

What a strange thread. How in the world would you have the C virus on your face after you’ve presumably showered, soaped up, rinsed etc?

Unless you're splashing it on your face all day long, it isn't going to do much. Alcohol is a volatile substance and flashes off almost instantaneously after you apply it. It doesn't "stick around" to protect you from diseases. Especially your eyes, you splashing the aftershave in your eyes?
Brother Budget,
Respectfully, that's like saying unless we wash our hands every 15 minutes, hand washing isn't going to do much. That technically may be true, but it's start in the right direction.

If it saves only 5% from this illness and possible death, was frequent hand washing and splashing some alcohol based after shave on our faces worth it?

I had no idea this thread was about killing virus. There is ZERO chance your splash will contain enough alcohol to kill it. It takes 60%+ alcohol content.

What a strange thread. How in the world would you have the C virus on your face after you’ve presumably showered, soaped up, rinsed etc?
Are you presuming everyone showers before shaving? None of us should be too dogmatic about the dynamics of this horrific illness, or the possible strategies to control it. Even the experts are uncertain or disagree on some things.

In the meantime I'm using alcoholic based after shave on my face, washing my hands frequently, and keeping my hands off my face. No more facerbating for the duration. It can't hurt. And it may help, especially in marginal situations.

Brother Budget,
Respectfully, that's like saying unless we wash our hands every 15 minutes, hand washing isn't going to do much. That technically may be true, but it's start in the right direction.

If it saves only 5% from this illness and possible death, was frequent hand washing and splashing some alcohol based after shave on our faces worth it?

+1! Frequent hand washing and other hygiene can only help!!

The reason the health officials are advising that we refrain from touching our face is because the membranes in our eyes, noses, and mouths are perfect viral entry points - your skin has nothing to do with this warning. So unless you are planning on drinking, snorting, or flushing your eyes with AS, I think you can relax a bit. Frequent hand washing is the answer, and since I shave right after I shower and am therefore the cleanest thing in my house at the time, I'm not worried about my shave regimen.

Keep Calm and Shave On - hey, that might be my new tag line.

I live in a hot and humid part of India. Alcohol based splashes, preferably with menthol work for me. Added bonus they disinfect my hands after application. :)

Top Bottom