What's new

Time for Alcohol on the Skin?

I had largely discontinued the use of alcohol-based after shave lotion. Many dermatologists frown on putting alcohol on the skin.

However with the current crisis, I'm now resuming the usage of alcohol-based after shave lotions.

I am a very handsome man, so downright good-looking that strangers often ask, "I hate to intrude, sir, but please share your skin care regimen with me." I use an alcohol-based aftershave. It feels clean and fresh - and frankly, it's the right thing to do. When the humidity is low, (like when the heat is on), I also moisturize with some balm or similar substance. Take a look at my avatar. It's working.

On my skin? Nope.

However.....

proxy.php

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I always use an alcohol based aftershave as I love the burn and no shave is complete without it. I am aware that many say it is a sign of too close a shave or poor technique, but I care not - I love the burn, the more burn the better. 😁

I am a very handsome man, so downright good-looking that strangers often ask, "I hate to intrude, sir, but please share your skin care regimen with me." I use an alcohol-based aftershave. It feels clean and fresh - and frankly, it's the right thing to do. When the humidity is low, (like when the heat is on), I also moisturize with some balm or similar substance. Take a look at my avatar. It's working.

So jealous!!

kiss.jpg

I use Dickinson's witch hazel with 14% alcohol for just enough tingle for me. Then follow that with Nivea shave balm.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I think some of us are missing the point. I'm only suggesting alcohol on facial skin may kill some of the cooties associated with the current health crisis. I'm not addressing the pro's and the con's of the type of after shave one may choose to use after shaving.

We are counseled to keep our hands away from our faces, nose, and eyes. We don't want germs on our faces, and alcohol can kill germs. The current crisis calls for prudence and an overabundance of caution. I want to think we all can agree on that.

Therefore I have resumed using alcohol-based after shave lotion, though personally it's not my preference.

Last edited:
I think some of us are missing the point. I'm only suggesting alcohol on facial skin may kill some of the cooties associated with the current health crisis. I'm not addressing the pro's and the con's of the type of after shave one may choose to use after shaving.

We are counseled to keep our hands away from our faces, nose, and eyes. We don't want germs on our faces, and alcohol can kill germs. The current crisis calls for prudence and an overabundance of caution. I want to think we all can agree on that.

Unless you're splashing it on your face all day long, it isn't going to do much. Alcohol is a volatile substance and flashes off almost instantaneously after you apply it. It doesn't "stick around" to protect you from diseases. Especially your eyes, you splashing the aftershave in your eyes?

I agree with the OP. It's now prudent to use alcohol-based AS splashes. I say that because my favorite AS splash is alcohol-based. It's good to know I have a way to keep part of my face clean for a few seconds when I apply the splash.

The whole point of alcohol is to disinfect the skin and tighten up the pores in the first place. So I use it every shave. And have been doing so way before Corona. I did have a small period where I only applied a balm or non-alcohol splash but those days are long gone. Remember Lord Carnarvon, the one who financed Howard Carter's dig to find King Tut's tomb? He died after nicking a mosquito bite during a shave, which then got infected.

Therefore I have resumed using alcohol-based after shave lotion, though personally it's not my preference.

Using a face wash and face moisturizer of some type, is sufficient. If you want to go further, you can also use witch hazel with ethyl alcohol, dab it on with a cotton applicator pad before or after using the face wash, let it dry.
Your face wash product may already contain a certain amount of witch hazel and or alcohol in it, if your not using the sensitive variety.

Do whatever makes you feel safe, if it brings comfort to you, then what the hell not?

Top Bottom