What's new

Tiki Glasses

What are folks thoughts on tiki glasses? "Too nerdly for words"? (Is that a bad thing?) "The proper accessories always make whatever it is one is trying to do"?

I guess I am really looking for input just from folks who like tiki drinks.

In theory I would like some tiki glasses. I like my whiskey/whisky is an appropriate glass. I sure like good glassware for wine. I am making a lot of tiki drinks these days and spending time reading up on the whole genre. On the other hand, when I actually look at the glasses, the fact that everything that looks traditional to me are opaque seems like a turn off, and the clear glass ones do not seem very authentic tiki to me. A lot of these drinks are good-looking with garnishes, so are nicer to be able to see. An umbrella sticking out of the top of a Maoi would not do it for me.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The chintzier and wackier the better. It’s probably the least serious genre of drink, but they sure are good.
Plenty of good substitutes exist. Highball glass, hurricane, or double rocks can all be used.

Not expecting to see a Reidel sommelier series tiki glass any time soon, I would imagine.

B2E92094-0424-4BE5-91D2-4D7C4C7AD7F7.png
We went out for a late dinner at a Tiki pop up last night. They serve the Tiki drinks in the appropriate glassware. I have none, yet....

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The chintzier and wackier the better.

No one could have said it better. I suppose one could find an "elegant" tiki glass, but that sounds about as much fun as an "elegant" chili dog.

Oddly enough, this week's Milk Street podcast included a discussion with a bartender who makes and writes about Tiki drinks. He pretty much said that drinking out of something crazy is part of the "Tiki experience."

I wonder if it is Tikimon, who I met about a month ago. He participates in Exotictikiisland.com podcasts. Lots of tiki has entered my life since The Knize started exploring Tiki cocktails!

B6860AC1-68F4-49BC-B3B2-6BAAA16D6C26.jpeg

Like this beer from Point Ybel in Ft. Myers. The brewer has a Tiki Sour Series. Now I’d like to try a Dead Reckoning. Looks like a monster Tiki cocktail!

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
On the other hand, when I actually look at the glasses, the fact that everything that looks traditional to me are opaque seems like a turn off, and the clear glass ones do not seem very authentic tiki to me. A lot of these drinks are good-looking with garnishes, so are nicer to be able to see. An umbrella sticking out of the top of a Maoi would not do it for me.

Kind of like drinking beer from a Bavarian stein ... can’t see what you are drinking and more trouble than they are worth ... but appealing to someone who is really interested in traditional German beer.

They seem cheap enough that you can get a set without paying a lot, and give them a go. Perhaps they will grow on you.

Not expecting to see a Reidel sommelier series tiki glass any time soon, I would imagine.
You underestimate their capacity to market slightly different versions of handblown crystal stemware to affluent status seekers.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
They have some interesting glassware here:

also have a pineapple glass too.

Are Tiki glasses / umbrella drinks + fake maraschino cherries a thing? I feel like someone should make a bar focused on drinks like this (like in NYC or something). My only recollection of such things is being a child and seeing how to make off with the cherry at some random asian restaurant my parents were at ;) . I can't recall anywhere I've seen tiki style drinks post that time period, though :(

Are Tiki glasses / umbrella drinks + fake maraschino cherries a thing? I feel like someone should make a bar focused on drinks like this (like in NYC or something). My only recollection of such things is being a child and seeing how to make off with the cherry at some random asian restaurant my parents were at ;) . I can't recall anywhere I've seen tiki style drinks post that time period, though :(
New Orleans - Latitude 29
Chicago - Three dots and a dash

or best yet, pick up a book from Beachbum Berry and make them at home!

Reactions: Avi

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Houston has Lei Low. It's a great Tiki dive bar that reasonably limits its occupancy so that it's not a friggin' madhouse and keeps the music low enough so that you can both enjoy it and talk to your friends. Yes, it can be done!

Reactions: Avi
Excellent question, BTW. Unknown to me, in Washington, DC, Jack Rose has a rooftop Tiki bar Thursday through Saturday. Jack Rose is the best bar I have ever been to. I suspect they do a good job. Potomac Distillery at The Wharf has a bar that is considered Tiki. Seemed like a decent rum bar to me. Not all that Tiki. There are other places in DC said to be Tiki. I have not been. My guess is that there must be Tiki bars in every city. These things go in trends. Like Speakeasies.

Top Bottom