What's new

Tiger Razor

So recently ive decided that i want to try shaving with a straight so i ordered the good stuff from Larry ( Just waiting for it to show up :biggrin1:), But anyways i stopped at my local antique store the other day and picked up a Tiger Razor. Its in pretty good condition but needs a little a work. The big problem though is that it looks as though the scales are warped so i was wondering if theres anyway or person who could salvage the scales or are they gonners? I tried to take pictures by my camera is terrible so this is the only two decent shots of the razor i got. The last one is my attempt at getting the scales.

They can be improved, but V difficult to get perfectly straight.
If the blade swings clean between them, leave it.
Just clean it all up. Looks good.

Make sure you finish sanding the razor a? ;)

+Szymon

Forgive me if this information is located on B&B I wasn't able to find it with a quick search.

I've successfully used a slightly modified method of the one found here:

http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/Fixing_warped_scales

From my one time experience, my advice is to be careful how long you submerge them in the water. If too long they might discolor.

As stated above, if the razor closes without hitting the scales, you might just want to leave them as is, if they interfere with the razor closing or if the edge hits them you'll want to fix or replace them.

Hope that helps.

Legion

Staff member
You just want to be super careful if you decide to leave them on. It is pretty rare to find warped scales that do not try to catch the blades edge at some point. If you are careful you can close them without hitting the edge, but one lapse in concentration, re-hone time!

Personally I would rescale to be on the safe side.

Well thanks for the help, The blade was hitting the scales so ive decided to take them off and am just going to get it rescaled after i finish cleaning it up.

Hey I'm currently restoring this exact razor. My scales appeared in good shape, but crumbled as soon as I un-pinned it. I am currently restoring the blade and have saved the inlay from the scales for eventual transfer to a new pair. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

The sanding helped clean the razor up a lot. What grit did you take it up 2? some of the scratches were pretty deep, I used 600 greaseless to get most of them out. But over all it cleaned up very well! Good job on the sanding!:thumbup1:

Here are a couple of pics of your razor Timber Wolf!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I don't know if it's an illusion but do I see a frown in the middle of the blade?

Top Bottom