What's new

Thousand Dollar Shaving Society

Total set up value (USD)

• Total voters
I believe that there is one poll or one calculation that would cause some nightamres here :302:

Assemble every piece of shaving gear in your house and calculate total cost of everything you own. Do you guys even dare?

That much for a BRUSH? Ok you paid a lot less but still 440$ for a BRUSH? You can load and lather Williams in 15s with it or something? Is it 7 times better than 100$ badger? Really interested here
And what kind of soap w bowl is 250? What does it do?

1582716171141.png

Well gents, my first total set up was under $5.00 and that included a brand new Gillette Slim that I still use. I think I would be hard pressed to get near $200.00 today for a set up, even with my most expensive razor, a Weber PH with Classic Handle.
I have to wonder why we spend so much on shaving gear and set ups when our very first set up was perfect. Has shaving become a Hobby or an Obsession searching for the perfect razor or soap? As for me, I think I found my perfect razor years ago for $1.98, as for a better soap I thank the guys of B&B for finding Tabac. My wife was right when she asked, how many razors do I need to shave with. Only one but maybe two soaps.

Here is the highest $ amount that I have in my den (current prices):
Wolfman WR1/WRH2 handle and stand, polished SS: $575
EverReady/Rudy Vey 2-band Shavemac: $175
Pick any soap, blades and splash in the den and I still don’t come close to $1,000!

And This AM I shaved with my Lord L6 razor (currently $6.00 on Amazon), so I did not come close to $100! :a29: :a29:
I started with Lord L6 ... then started my son with same L6 ... cheap but great starter! Now on this thread, my most expensive razor is a straight but counting that and my most expensive creme/soap,
mug and brush ... I fail to meet more than $300! El Chapo Cheapo here :biggrin1:

I always strived to do it for less than $100. Adding another $100 and I am enjoying truly luxurious shaves and don’t regret the money spent one bit.

In the grand scheme of things, this hobby costs peanuts compared to health and auto insurance, taxes, gas, food, etc, even if you go completely overboard on razors, brushes, and soaps.

I have downsized significantly over the last year+, and currently only own 3 razors, for example. Most $$ single setup I can cobble together as of today:

Blackland Vector (polished) -- $240
titanium handle by Stork -- $130
LOL, my most expensive synth brush (bought used, but removed knot & bought & set new knot myself) -- ~$55
Pereira lather bowl -- ~$38
soap, Saponificio Varesino -- ~$45
= $508

I don't use post-shave splashes other than witch hazel; fragrances I use I don't consider part of the shave, YMMV.
I think about 8 months ago I could've maxed-out at close to $750.

Last edited:
Well I’m ashamed to say that I got there, but only just... The acquisition rot really has reached the very core now. Total single set up value $1,000.66 USD.

The below costs are RRP without shipping. I did get some items on sale which makes me feel a little better.

AUD
$364.85 Timeless Razor
$250.00 Czech & Speake soap w/bowl
$764.55 Plisson Brush
$ 50.00 Ceramic Lather Bowl
$ 11.39 Nivea Balm
$ 24.99 Thayers WH
$ 5.99 Tuck of Feather Blades
$ 35.00 Omega Brush Stand
$ 15.00 Tray

Total $1,521.77 (AUD) or approx 420 Mach 3 carts. At a cartridge a week and assuming soap and de blade refills cost as much as canned goo the break even period would be 8 years and 1 month.

A review:
Best Buy: Timeless razor. Love it. No regrets.
Worst buy: Czech & Speake tin. Lovely tin but seriously over priced. I could have done without it.
Best deal: Plisson brush. Actual cost after sale and EU tax deduction $434. I still prefer my Chubby 1 Super though.

I will use this setup tomorrow as I consider if I haven’t taken this shaving thing a little too far. I may console myself in the fact that it’s still cheaper than golf and I do use and enjoy it most days. Who knows after eight years I may even be saving some money!

View attachment 1067215

I must know more about this brush! I had no idea they even made brushes that expensive! Not hating, just very curious.

My most expensive:

Homelike START razor: $120 (2 plates)

Blade: .25 cents

Grooming Dept preshave:$16

GIS Barbershop cream: $21.50

Dickenson’s Witch Hazel: $6

Alt Innsbrook aftershave:$37.75

Total: $201.50

I don't want a Wolfman, I don't want a Wolfman, I don't want a Wolfman...

Edited to add: that didn't work, still want a Wolfman. Oh well

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Ming Shi 2000S = $8
Synthetic badger brush = $0.80
Palmolive soap stick = $0.55
London Bridge blades = $0.90

Total set cost $10.25 and gives great results.

Holy geez. I could not assemble any setup that approaches even $100, let alone a thousand. My most expensive razor cost me $19. I paid $40 for a brush nine years ago that’s not currently in service, and the most expensive brush in rotation was $12 for the handle and $17 for the knot. I have a tub of AoS lather that’s worth $25 at retail but I paid $2 for it and have never paid more than $6 for any lathering product. Blades are under a buck, I don’t have a soap mug that cost over $10, and I’ve never paid more than ten dollars for an aftershave.

All right, so here are the items that took the most out of my pocket. Had to recheck how much I paid for some things to remember.

EE283A33-52AE-4BCA-A426-56CC2C4C91B7.jpeg

Razor, Gillette Slim, $15.50
Brush, Made Rite handle $12 + Shave Forge super badger knot $17 = $29
Mug, Old Spice, $10
$54.50 total for hardware

Cream, Gillette Pure, $6. None of my soaps or other creams cost me more than that
Blade, Gillette Platinum Plus, 55 cents each
Aftershave, Captain’s Choice Sandalwood, $14

$75.05 all in.

All right, so here are the items that took the most out of my pocket. Had to recheck how much I paid for some things to remember.

View attachment 1067402

Mug, Old Spice, $10

Cream, Gillette Pure, $6. None of my soaps or other creams cost me more than that

$75.05 all in.
Thanks for sharing.

I have:
5 razors that combined come to around $200.
4 brushes ranging from $10 to $20 each.
10 soaps/creams ranging from $6 to $30 each. (Most around $10-$15)
200 or so blades - different varieties.
9 aftershaves / balms ranging from $5 to $15.

This doesn't count PIFs.

Ming Shi 2000S = $8
Synthetic badger brush = $0.80
Palmolive soap stick = $0.55
London Bridge blades = $0.90

Total set cost $10.25 and gives great results.
Living in the Philippines clearly has it’s advantages. I would have thought that the seven day straight razor sets and custom boxes we have been hearing about would have pushed the price up a little. Very good value either way. Those are extremely competitive prices.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The seven-day set is still in the making. That should cost about $300 plus my honing gear at about $50.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My most expensive razor was a hair under $250. Most expensive brush about $100 or so. So yeah, I don’t get anywhere near a grand. Nowhere near half that.

Carbon CX - $250
Declaration Grooming Brush - $280
APR Les Santal soap, splash, EdP - ~$400

Good thing I only paid for the brush!

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati

View attachment 1067402

Mug, Old Spice, $10

$75.05 all in.
That gillette pure isn't too bad either.

Top Bottom