What's new

Thousand Dollar Shaving Society

Total set up value (USD)

• Total voters
I came across a rather humorous YouTube video produced by Kirby Allison entitled “Thousand Dollar Shave Society.” This video proposes traditional wet shaving as a high end alternative for discerning adults to the dollar cartridge clubs.

We all know that traditional shaving can be very economical but we are also no doubt all aware that there are some very pricey high end products available. I’m sure that many den collections here can easy break the thousand dollar barrier.

The question I would like to ask is:

What is your most expensive single set up?

Are you able to break or get anywhere close to the thousand dollar shave society threshold? I am happy to accept any dollar currency including Australian, Canadian and the very economical Trinidad Dollar but please calculate a total set up cost back to USD for comparison. Are there any stories about this set up. Was it worth the money? It it your favourite? And is there anything else you would add if money was no object?

If you are still building your collection do you have your eye on a grail set up that would fit this category?

Enjoy the video. I’m sure we would all pick the shave scene to pieces but it is funny.

Holy geez. I could not assemble any setup that approaches even $100, let alone a thousand. My most expensive razor cost me $19. I paid $40 for a brush nine years ago that’s not currently in service, and the most expensive brush in rotation was $12 for the handle and $17 for the knot. I have a tub of AoS lather that’s worth $25 at retail but I paid $2 for it and have never paid more than $6 for any lathering product. Blades are under a buck, I don’t have a soap mug that cost over $10, and I’ve never paid more than ten dollars for an aftershave.

Holy geez. I could not assemble any setup that approaches even $100, let alone a thousand. My most expensive razor cost me $19. I paid $40 for a brush nine years ago that’s not currently in service, and the most expensive brush in rotation was $12 for the handle and $17 for the knot. I have a tub of AoS lather that’s worth $25 at retail but I paid $2 for it and have never paid more than $6 for any lathering product. Blades are under a buck, I don’t have a soap mug that cost over $10, and I’ve never paid more than ten dollars for an aftershave.
There is also a prize for the cheapest most expensive set up. To qualify post a picture of the assembled set up with your guess at the RRP. Im sure there will be stiff competition at both ends.

It depends on whether you count the cost of consumables as the purchase price or divide into cost per use.
About $115 if you count the purchase prices, about $85 if counting cost per use.

It depends on whether you count the cost of consumables as the purchase price or divide into cost per use.
About $115 if you count the purchase prices, about $85 if counting cost per use.
Definitely purchase price rather than cost per use. We will save that for another thread. Happy to use RRP or cost to you. Don’t forget to vote. Interested to see just how badly the acquisition disorder has hit some members. You seem to have managed to stay sensible and level headed.

I can’t get above $750 on a single set-up. I’d love to hear about the $1,000 set-up from the fella who voted in that category...

I can’t get above $750 on a single set-up. I’d love to hear about the $1,000 set-up from the fella who voted in that category...
Let’s hear that details. With pics if possible. $750 is doing well for a single set up.

I'm about to get my bathroom renovated at a cost that's north of $10k.
Can I include that ??

Otherwise it's Wolfman WR2 and WRH2 + MdC soap + Shaving Scuttles Scuttle + Shavemac Silver tip + Penhaligons ASB and EDT = ~US$820 (Aus$1250)

Oh and 25 cents for the blade :biggrin1:

Last edited:
I'm about to get my bathroom renovated at a cost that's north of $10k.
Can I include that ??

Otherwise it's Wolfman WR2 and WRH2 + MdC soap + Shaving Scuttles Scuttle + Shavemac Silver tip + Penhaligons ASB and EDT = ~US$820 (Aus$1250)

Oh and 25 cents for the blade :biggrin1:
Oh course the bathroom Reno counts! Does it have some special shave features built in? I would love to get a heated, fog resistant mirror put in. It amazing how this stuff adds up.

Here is the highest $ amount that I have in my den (current prices):
Wolfman WR1/WRH2 handle and stand, polished SS: $575
EverReady/Rudy Vey 2-band Shavemac: $175
Pick any soap, blades and splash in the den and I still don’t come close to $1,000!

And This AM I shaved with my Lord L6 razor (currently $6.00 on Amazon), so I did not come close to $100! :a29: :a29:

My most expensive setup is nothing fancy but I love it, it consists of the RazoRock Lupo DLC 89.99, a WCS honeycomb synthetic brush green 27.00, RazoRock Mudder Focker Soap 9.99, loto del svr preshave oil 15.00 and Nivea after shave balm 13.00. blade is either an Astra SP or a Gillette 7oclock yellow.

Well I’m ashamed to say that I got there, but only just... The acquisition rot really has reached the very core now. Total single set up value $1,000.66 USD.

The below costs are RRP without shipping. I did get some items on sale which makes me feel a little better.

AUD
$364.85 Timeless Razor
$250.00 Czech & Speake soap w/bowl
$764.55 Plisson Brush
$ 50.00 Ceramic Lather Bowl
$ 11.39 Nivea Balm
$ 24.99 Thayers WH
$ 5.99 Tuck of Feather Blades
$ 35.00 Omega Brush Stand
$ 15.00 Tray

Total $1,521.77 (AUD) or approx 420 Mach 3 carts. At a cartridge a week and assuming soap and de blade refills cost as much as canned goo the break even period would be 8 years and 1 month.

A review:
Best Buy: Timeless razor. Love it. No regrets.
Worst buy: Czech & Speake tin. Lovely tin but seriously over priced. I could have done without it.
Best deal: Plisson brush. Actual cost after sale and EU tax deduction $434. I still prefer my Chubby 1 Super though.

I will use this setup tomorrow as I consider if I haven’t taken this shaving thing a little too far. I may console myself in the fact that it’s still cheaper than golf and I do use and enjoy it most days. Who knows after eight years I may even be saving some money!

2F838599-D0CD-451E-B107-C80D9D921B29.jpeg

If I accumulate all purchases I belive I did spend more than 1000$ over last few years.

So my most expensive setup with items currently in my drawer

All prices are estimates form € to $

Rockwell - aprox 120$ (customs got me here)
Synt brush - aprox 15$
Tabac refill stick - aprox 8$
Blade - aprox 0,5$ (Gillette Extra Bleue bought locally for 4,5€/ tuck of10, aprox 5$)
Nivea Balm - aprox 9$ (in US is cheaper, again this is EU price)

So altogether 152,5$, estimate but precise enough. If customs (tax and handling) are not calculated deduct 20$ from this

I believe that there is one poll or one calculation that would cause some nightamres here :302:

Assemble every piece of shaving gear in your house and calculate total cost of everything you own. Do you guys even dare?
$764.55 Plisson Brush

That much for a BRUSH? Ok you paid a lot less but still 440$ for a BRUSH? You can load and lather Williams in 15s with it or something? Is it 7 times better than 100$ badger? Really interested here
And what kind of soap w bowl is 250? What does it do?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Mine would be:

WR2 1.25 SB — $350
Brad Sears Rosebud — $200
GD Pre-Shave — $16
MdC Fougere — $75
Vintage Personna Blade — $1
Furbo Blu AS — $22

Not even close.

Top Bottom