What's new

Thoughts on new Gillette Flexball

IMHO the breakthrough innovation for cartridges are the spring mounted blades that were introduced on the Sensor, my most frequently used razor. My skin is far from perfect and that particular feature provides me with close comfortable shaves.

I use a variety of razors including DE and Fusion. I always come back to the Sensor. It's the best for me.

Sounds like you found your perfect razor. Did you find that the Sensor carts seemed to degrade in quality as the M3 and Fusion where introduced? Some swear the older models aren't as high quality as they used to be.

Yes indeed dabrock the Sensor is perfect for me. G 2 would a close second. And, I have found the blade quality has decreased over the years, but overall, the Sensor is a better shaver than newer cart systems. There must be a loyal segment of middle aged men like myself that have remained loyal to the product, otherwise they would be obsolete I suppose. When they stop making Sensor carts, I'll grow a Duck Dynasty beard 👍

I'm a head shaver and I'm not really sure how much the ball would help. I do just fine with a Gillette Guard or injector. Takes a little more effort with a SE. Before those I was using a Fusion and with two passes it was fine so I am not really seeing what benefit it would give. Interestingly enough I had a harder time using the HeadBlade which was designed for head shaving.

The worst I cut my head shaving was w/ a HeadBlade. It took a strip of skin off the back of my head. Actually did it twice once w/ the original, then just recently w/ the newer model( thought it would be better than the first). I do like there type of shaving cream, makes your head feel nice and cool

Ya, Headslick is good stuff, but at $10 and it only lasted me a month or less, not cheap.
I never tore myself up with the Headblade, I just didn't care for it.
I did somehow get the Fusion turned around and with that stupid "under your nose" blade, sliced off a 3" piece that could have been used for a skin graft.
Man... that bled forever. Ended up wearing a bandage for 4 days because it looked so bad.

It was King Gillette himself who said, "Give away the razors, sell the blades." I was stunned at the cost of my last 5-pack of Mach-3 carts, for a basically lousy shave. I remembered with fondness my original Gillette 195, my first and only razor for 20 years.

Long story short, found this site, got myself another 195, now called a Fatboy, got my brush rebadgered, and I am experimenting with different soaps and creams.

This is totally YMMV; I'm happier and get better shaves, but many love the carts. For instance, I know I won't ever use a straight razor; DEs are called safety razors for a reason (me.)

I'm not bashing cartridge razors, I don't like them but plenty do. However, I will be very interested if anyone tries the Flexball and concludes that the ball actually adds to the shave.

The worst I cut my head shaving was w/ a HeadBlade. It took a strip of skin off the back of my head. Actually did it twice once w/ the original, then just recently w/ the newer model( thought it would be better than the first). I do like there type of shaving cream, makes your head feel nice and cool

I did the same thing with the Headblade. I was actually able to remove a layer of skin from between the blades. I used it again recently and had much better results with the lessons I've learned from shaving with a SE/injector. Headslick is a good product, but I've been using Kiss My Face and Razorock Shave Gel as a brushless cream if I don't feel like using a brush.

The marketing of the Flexball says:

Cuts hair 23 microns shorter
23% increased skin contact

Carts already cut too close by cutting under the skin... this can't be good

The marketing of the Flexball says:

Cuts hair 23 microns shorter
23% increased skin contact

Carts already cut too close by cutting under the skin... this can't be good

My problem with the ad copy is that it's just that, ad copy. They site comparative statements but without the proper context to give it meaning. I have to assume they are refering to the old Fusion handles but it doesn't really say that explicitly. For all we know those numbers could be in relation to an electric razor or pumice stones.

Sounds like you found your perfect razor. Did you find that the Sensor carts seemed to degrade in quality as the M3 and Fusion where introduced? Some swear the older models aren't as high quality as they used to be.
It happened to me recently. I too switched to cartridges when they became widely available and in my case it was Sensor. I remember using one for ten shaves and the last ones were a bit of a drag. Sometimes I would go over ten shaves with the expense of quality drop. Not long ago I picked one up again and barely finished the fifth shave. My skin was irritated and felt raw for a day.

I intend to try cartridges again just to break the monotony but will never switch completely due to several factors. Mainly cost and the use of plastic, even if the shaves could be stellar.

I noticed a surge in cartridge use talk over some forums and expect is being pushed harder. At the end of the day, whatever works for you is best, cartridge or not.

The Flexball 84.6% satisfaction rating overall. This razor is going to be a huge hit when it hits store shelves on the 18th.

Last edited:
Sooner or later they will have to cut DE blade production. Especially now when guard is being introduced and gets good reviews.
Ball technology...:lol:

The Flexball 84.6% satisfaction rating overall. This razor is going to be a huge hit when it hits store shelves on the 18th.

Interesting but that brings to mind two questions: 1) how was this rating calculated and 2) how does it compare to previous models like the Mach 3 and original Fusion?

40% of us here WILL buy this razor. But only 5% will admit to it. This is the Dyson of razors.

I can assure you I'm in the 60% in that scenario. lol I went back and tried a Mach3 for a shave, and it was so horrid of an experience that I will never use another cart, ever, at this point.

Only time will tell. Once you see an honest review curiosity will get the best of you. Don't take me the wrong way I am a DE guy all the way but when I need a quick BBS shave the Flexball will be my weapon of choice.

Only time will tell. Once you see an honest review curiosity will get the best of you. Don't take me the wrong way I am a DE guy all the way but when I need a quick BBS shave the Flexball will be my weapon of choice.

I'd be highly willing to give it a fair trial shave, as I stated earlier... I just won't spend money on trying it. lol

40% of us here WILL buy this razor. But only 5% will admit to it. This is the Dyson of razors.

:lol: Sounds more like Japanese cars in the 70's when some people would only drive them at night and would apologize to their neighbours if they were caught with them.

Top Bottom