What's new

Thoughts on new Gillette Flexball

Saw it this morning at Walmart for 26.22. What happened to the give you the handle for free?

Where? My WM has them for $11.47 with razor holder and 2 carts.
The "Power" version is the same price, but with 1 cart and 1 battery.
They have one for $7.something with no razor holder and only one cart... just the handle and one cart.

I was reading the Boston Globe this morning and noticed an article about the new Flexball Fusion.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...t-not-cheap/QfgCpZ4EIpFAO5TL4vv4FI/story.html

Any thoughts on this? I've been a Mach3 user for a while and am waiting on my first DE razor (will be here Friday from West Coast Shaving). I've been looking forward to going to the DE, so I don't think I want a cartridge anymore.
But, the article is stating that the shave is as or almost as close as a straight blade.

It appears,to my highly trained eye, to be a gizmo. First I thought it to be a thingamajig or dodad but the pivoting framis ball and cantilevered whatsis all point to a highly refined example Madison avenue tomfoolery.
Too much going on.
I imagine there is a giant warehouse of mini beeper vibro motors that Gillette has to dispose of by any means possible; therefore the powered version.

Only thing I see it missing is a button to squirt out some shave gel and another button that when pushed out pops a mini shave brush on the end of the handle that rotates so you can face lather.

Do that sir, and you will have a winner!

Just make sure you put enough shave gel in there for more and 3 shaves, not like those gel strip thingy's
Ah who am I kidding, never mind, you'll screw me on the shave gel anyway,

Where? My WM has them for $11.47 with razor holder and 2 carts.
The "Power" version is the same price, but with 1 cart and 1 battery.
They have one for $7.something with no razor holder and only one cart... just the handle and one cart.

Maybe it was in the wrong slot which wouldn't be out of the ordinary for the Walmart I go to. I was going to say maybe it's NJ pricing, but seeing as you are from the LA area the prices should be the same.

Bought and tried one out of curiosity.

The new head only brings a sideways "pivoting" of about 5-7 degrees on each side. Expected a bit more.
Nothing to rave about, and it does not do a better job than the regular fusion I previously had and my DE still does a better job.

Maybe if your face topography is very particular it may help a bit, but it was a deception for me.

Marketing!

Bought and tried one out of curiosity.

The new head only brings a sideways "pivoting" of about 5-7 degrees on each side. Expected a bit more.
Nothing to rave about, and it does not do a better job than the regular fusion I previously had and my DE still does a better job.

Maybe if your face topography is very particular it may help a bit, but it was a deception for me.

Marketing!

Ya... It works and works well, but it's nothing special... there's a marginal improvement in the angle of forgiveness.
My Fusion handle was getting pretty crusty anyways, so it was due for replacement.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Full disclosure: I haven't used the new flexball cart and just casually looked at the slalom display.

it seems to me that the new addition is more jist a hinge than "ball" or am I mistaken? And the orange ball is more decoration than anything. I suppose with the new hinge addition and the old flap hingge combines to give a range of movement of a ball... *shrug*

it seems to me like they are running out of marketing ideas on this and a new "system" will be coming soon. fusion has been out a while.

I tried a fusion again today. not with flexball. tore me to shreds as usual. I can push to m3 but really more than two blades is it for me. in todays world most men will not/cannot master a straight. it whoops it hands down imo. a de is very close to a straight and much easier to use as well. I use both but no carts. of course I have been shaving since you or a barber only used a straight.

it seems to me like they are running out of marketing ideas on this and a new "system" will be coming soon. fusion has been out a while.

8 years. It released in the spring of 2006... I've been using the Fusion since it was released. Funny that the Fusion had been out for at least a year when "American Chopper" did the Mach-3 theme bike for Gillette.
The M3 works for you and not the Fusion. The inverse is true for me. The Fusion is the only cart that gives me a good, smooth, clean, and irritation free shave.
M3 and Schick Hydro leave rough spots, irritation, and nicks.

It appears,to my highly trained eye, to be a gizmo. First I thought it to be a thingamajig or dodad but the pivoting framis ball and cantilevered whatsis all point to a highly refined example Madison avenue tomfoolery.
Too much going on.
I imagine there is a giant warehouse of mini beeper vibro motors that Gillette has to dispose of by any means possible; therefore the powered version.

Nicely done!

I've tried the Gillette Fusion for about 6 months, was no better shaves than my DE razor and I felt less pampered,. Besides the fact that Gillette had their hand in my pocket @ $42.+ per dozen cart. Now maybe if Gillette came out with a swivel head DE razor, I might be interested but until then I'll stay a die hard wet shaver. After 50 years with the tried and true the chances of change to plastic are slim to nil.
Denis :001_smile Happiness is a BBS

I may try it out on my head. I tend to enjoy carts for that anyway. More forgiving. I just wish the blade cost wasn't so outrageous. Though frankly, with my propensity to spend too much on shaving gear, I'd probably actually spend less on carts than I do on razors, blades, brushes, soaps, etc. Had I never come across this forum and others like it urging me to chase vintage razors, fancy soaps and high dollar brushes, I'd have more money in hand and a relatively decent cart shave.

Top Bottom