What's new

Thoughts on Cornell & Diehl

Can't get handle on this company. I like rich, full, heavy, dark, strong tobacco (I'm not a daily smoker so I want to be wowed when I do sit down with a pipe). C&D is the way to go, then, according to many recommendations. While I haven't tried a lot of their stuff, what I have smoked hasn't agreed with me. Almost without exception, I have found Cornell & Diehl-produced blends, including those for GL Pease and Capt. Earle's, to be dry (both tobacco and smoke), harsh, young/green tasting, and many of them (GLP English blends come to mind) have an awkward chunky cut that I don't particularly care for when packing a bowl.

On a more superficial level, their tin art/aesthetic does nothing to draw me in, either. Specifically, the cartoon-like pictures seem a bit goofy, and in general they don't seem to be convinced that stylized, "professional"-looking labels are the way to go. I'd like to think that I don't judge a book by its cover, that it's all about the baccy inside, but it would be naive (and foolish on the part of a company) to think that appearances don't matter. Or maybe they're just going for the quaint, old fashioned, nostalgic vibe and assume pipe smokers are drawn to this--which many probably are, including me, but I really don't get that from their labels.

It's not my intention to disparage C&D, it's just that I don't understand their prominence in the pipe tobacco world. They have a youtube video about the making of Union Square and it's interesting in light of the ongoing issues they've been having with moldy product. I'm not suggesting simple cause and effect, but there were a number of things revealed in the video that I found surprising regarding their production facility and employees. But I'm really getting off topic now. I was originally only wondering what others thought of their tobacco.

I'm indifferent to C&D. Of the blends that I've had, they've ranged from okay to good. That's not to say that they're bad, I just prefer other blenders.

My "go to" for robust tobacco flavored blends comes from Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co. They are my go to blender. I started with their Lakelands and worked my way through their flakes, shag cuts, and rope tobacco. I've never had a bad blend from them.

They're one of my favorite blenders.

For me, their tobacco comes at the perfect smoking moisture out of the tin. They also don't use a lot of additives and the natural tobacco taste shines through as opposed to some other companies that use a lot of propylene glycol to keep their tobacco moist. I like the fact that they give you 2oz instead of 50g (1.76 oz). I think they do burley better than anyone (not aged burley flake, but in the sense of variety). They're also stand up guys. I had mold issues with Bijou and they reimbursed me immediately without question. That was the only time I've ever had an issue with one of their products.

Their tin art isn't that dazzling but it's a nonissue for me. It's what's inside that counts.

Also, they've since moved locations to a more updated facility since the video you saw.

Their straight VAs don't compare to that of SG or McClelland but I think they have the other types of blends down pat.

I also think GL pease chose them for a reason instead of other blenders.

Before I'd buy another C&D product the company needs to be "mold free" for a year. I always cellar and I would not do that with them right now. Obviously there processes need revamped. The facility is so small that cross contamination is assured. It's a shame.

Being primarily a burley man, i smoke C&D bulks most every day (haunted bookshop, old joe krantz, big 'n burley, a few others). Never had mold and it delivers a nic hit that's about right for me.

For what its worth, C&D is the ONLY tobacco company that I've ever had mold issues with. This hasn't kept me from purchasing their product completely but its always been in the back of my mind, but its been beaten to death over the last six months or so.

Autumn Evening is one of my go to smokes and one of the few aromatics that I keep in a regular rotation.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I really don't think I've ever tried a C&D branded blend, although I've had a good number of GLP ones. There are a few bulk blends that I keep forgetting to tack on an order, though.

Never personally had a negative issue (yes, I've heard others have) with C&D. I've enjoyed about 10 of their blends over the years.

I have to join Andrew in saying that C&D is probably my favorite blending house. Mainly because I am a GL Pease junkie. I absolutely love his blends. I have a few C&D blends but the majority of them are GLPs. I have never had an issue with mold (knock on wood).

C&D is one of my favorites. And for the record I've had mold issues with their products, but I've also had mold issue with Samuel Gawith (big time), Gawith & Hoggarth, Dunhill (re: the Orlik factory in Assens) and Sutliff.

Sucks. Happens.

Many years ago I had mold issue with Samuel Gawith Curley Cut. Other than that I've dodged the bullet. I was newly introduced to C&D by a friend who sent some samples. I ended up ordering some bulk of a half dozen blends, and like them. I've been smoking GL Pease Robusto and Blackpoint for years and years, which I suppose amounts to the same thing.

Dunhill bulk, and Gawith & Hoggarth have been staples for years. Mostly Rum Flake from G&H, and EMP, or 965 from Dunhill. Smoking my morning bowl of Robusto with my coffee as I type.

Oh, boy. I didn't mean to open up that can of moldy worms. My fault, shouldn't have mentioned it in my post. I was really just looking for opinions on my opinion that C&D stuff is generally young, rough around the edges, and not particularly rich/round/full tasting despite having some nicotine to them. I suppose it all comes down to individual tastes, subjectivity, YMMV, etc.

C&D stuff is generally young, rough around the edges, and not particularly rich/round/full tasting despite having some nicotine to them. I suppose it all comes down to individual tastes, subjectivity, YMMV, etc.

I actually don't find that to be true at all. They don't case their components, so I can appreciate the rough & harsh around the edges claim, but most pipe smokers I know (including myself) that like C&D blends just sort of get used to and past it. But young, not rich or round or full tasting? Not my experience.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
One of the issues with C&D is they have about 700 different blends so it's kind of hard to generalize. I do find their tobacco comes a bit drier in the tin than most blenders, they tend to use more burley in their blends than many other blenders, and when they use Virginias, they tend to use brighter virginias and not a lot of dark, stoved, or mature virginias. I think that does all add up to a different flavor profile and I would agree they often (1) pack a higher nic punch; (2) overall do lack a little of the deeper notes I like. With that said, I've had some excellent C&D tobaccos (and GL Pease blends made by C&D). And the tin art? I agree it's not the best. I do like their more recent tin art on the small batch series, so maybe there's better things to come in that department.

And now some recommendations. You said you like richer, darker, stronger tobaccos. If you want to try some C&D offerings along those lines, try 5 o'clock shadow, Bourbon Bleu, and Oak Alley. If you want something other than C&D, Gawith Hoggarth has lots of stouter offerings such as Kendal KY, Kendal Dark, Dark Birdseye, and any of the unflavored ropes. I'll also recommend PH Dark Strong Flake, War Horse Bar, Orlik Dark KY, and MacBaren Bold Kentucky. And for giggles, if you haven't tried it, you need to try Solani Silver, which is a VA and Dark KY blend. If you're looking for a Nic bomb, try GL Pease Triple Play, grab a chair and hold on, because the world will go sideways on you if you smoke a big bowl of that.

Hmm, I don't know. It's hard to peg the whole brand a certain way. Like any company, they have hits and misses. The recent mold issue is certainly a miss, but that seems like a reasonable risk for tobacco that isn't drenched in preservatives.

Everything I've had from C&D has been great quality, even if the blend itself wasn't to my liking. One that comes to mind is Shandygaff (whew, that ginger is a killer). On the other hand, they make what has become my go-to English/Balkan blend, Star of the East. I have also enjoyed Haunted Bookshop, Old Hollywood, and Morley's Best.

I think you nailed it. With hundreds of blends, you can't generalize. Thanks for the suggestions. I really want to like C&D tobac, as there probably are plenty of gems waiting to be mined from that mountain. I'm a big fan of many of the ones you mentioned, such as Kendal KY, Dark Birdseye (and many other GH blends), PH Dark Strong Flake, Solani Silver, and Triple Play (with some age). Also waiting on an order that includes War Horse Bar and Mac Baren Bold Kentucky. I'm not necessarily a nicotine fiend, it just so happens that the fuller, darker tasting/feeling blends I lean toward have appreciable amounts of it in them. There's probably a correlation there, at least to some degree.

One of the issues with C&D is they have about 700 different blends so it's kind of hard to generalize. I do find their tobacco comes a bit drier in the tin than most blenders, they tend to use more burley in their blends than many other blenders, and when they use Virginias, they tend to use brighter virginias and not a lot of dark, stoved, or mature virginias. I think that does all add up to a different flavor profile and I would agree they often (1) pack a higher nic punch; (2) overall do lack a little of the deeper notes I like. With that said, I've had some excellent C&D tobaccos (and GL Pease blends made by C&D). And the tin art? I agree it's not the best. I do like their more recent tin art on the small batch series, so maybe there's better things to come in that department.

And now some recommendations. You said you like richer, darker, stronger tobaccos. If you want to try some C&D offerings along those lines, try 5 o'clock shadow, Bourbon Bleu, and Oak Alley. If you want something other than C&D, Gawith Hoggarth has lots of stouter offerings such as Kendal KY, Kendal Dark, Dark Birdseye, and any of the unflavored ropes. I'll also recommend PH Dark Strong Flake, War Horse Bar, Orlik Dark KY, and MacBaren Bold Kentucky. And for giggles, if you haven't tried it, you need to try Solani Silver, which is a VA and Dark KY blend. If you're looking for a Nic bomb, try GL Pease Triple Play, grab a chair and hold on, because the world will go sideways on you if you smoke a big bowl of that.

Micah is spot on with these suggestions. Some of my favs.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm not real experienced, but I've not had a problem with any of the C&D or GLP 'baccies over the last few years. Maybe the "mold" problem was just for a particular batch they made in that time period.

I had a bowl of C&D last night from a mason jar that was over a year and a half old and no problems. The Va/Per C&D Bayou Morning was a bit on the heavy side with the perique though...I like the GLP Telegraph Hill blend better. But I have smoked all of that.

Top Bottom