What's new

This Neck Thing is a Real Problem. What Would You Do?

The neck has been discussed many times here. For many it is the most difficult area there is. Mine is a huge problem for me, and I need some advice. My hair grows upward in a big way, and my skin is very sensitive. If I shave downward or accross in any way, with any blade, with any cream, and with any razor I bleed like crazy. My technique i believe to be quite good at this point. The rest of my face gets BBS almost every time with no problem. If i shave upward(wtg) I can get it fairly close but it feels quite rough. Would you keep working on ATG techniques, or would you just accept mediocrity on the neck? This last option makes the most sense, but like all of you i just love a close shave. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

The neck has been discussed many times here. For many it is the most difficult area there is. Mine is a huge problem for me, and I need some advice. My hair grows upward in a big way, and my skin is very sensitive. If I shave downward or accross in any way, with any blade, with any cream, and with any razor I bleed like crazy. My technique i believe to be quite good at this point. The rest of my face gets BBS almost every time with no problem. If i shave upward(wtg) I can get it fairly close but it feels quite rough. Would you keep working on ATG techniques, or would you just accept mediocrity on the neck? This last option makes the most sense, but like all of you i just love a close shave. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Necks can be very difficult to tame, I still struggle with mine from time to time but have mostly gotten it under control.
First thing that comes to my mind is not to continue to do the same thing if it is not working. Give up the idea of insisting on BBS every time. Instead focus on reducing stubble with every pass. A light skin stretch may help to 'pop' the whiskers as the blade cuts them.

You have not mentioned what soaps/creams/razor/blades you have used to get these results. This will shed more light on what the issue could be, merkur blades tear me up but some folks like them.

Maybe something as simple as a different blade will do it for you.

Mine grows up at the bottom of the neck for a couple of inches or so. I shave it twice with the grain and it gets it pretty close. Just work on the angle, no pressure thing and see how that works for you. I'd rather not have a BBS in that area than have irritation. I think it's harder to notice if it's not BBS on your neck compared to your face.

Try tossing in a XTG pass. While I can get BBS on my neck, I find usually its not worth it and will only try if I go the weekend without shaving. Another thing that I find that has helped in my trouble spots is to take all the lather out of the brush by squeezing the bottom and applying that lather very liberally on my neck/upper lip for the ATG pass.

I have the same problem and so I just do 2 x wtg and it works well enough. I also find that using short strokes helps a lot.

I used to have huge problems getting BBS on the neck until I started to shave with a straight and learned what no pressure was. I still usually do a final pass with a DE to tame the tough areas of my neck, but get no irritation.

When I travel I just go with a Mercur Futur or my Rocket and can go 3-4 passes for full BS with no irritation. Whatever pressure you areusing can be less. Also, go with very slick shave creams. Mama Bears soaps work very well for this as do Floris.

Good luck, you'll get it.

I used to get really bad bumps on my neck from shaving ATG, that is, until I switched to using my sledgehammer Slant on that part of my beard. I don't apply any pressure at all, and let the razor head slide across my neck...My hair grows inward there, and now I am bbs or at least silky most days. I also use Shave Secret shave oil as a 4th pass in just that area, 2 drops, and a splash of water then raze it. Works every time now. You can get Shave Secret at Wal-mart. I don't like Pacific Oil...it's not thick or slick enough for me, but YMMV, as always...

Good luck!

What I did was: forget about BBS on my lower neck. Now I just go WTG and XTG there. I looks just fine, there's only a sandpapery feel when I rub it against the grain. I'm happy with that. Invisible stubble is better than visible irritation.

Personally, i dont think your Technique is right.

Your cheeks and jawline are more forgiving to technique, a little bit off and its still ok.
Your neck on the other hand is a completely different story, if your technique is even a LITTLE bit off and you go ATG the razor will grab your skin and you will pay for it.

Blade angle is the most important thing on your neck, make sure you watch it next time, you're better off having too shallow of an angle and not cutting anything than having too steep of an angle and cutting your skin. This is the problem i had, when i started shaving my neck the blade would catch and nick me over and over. I reduced the angle of the blade and had to make more passes, but i managed to get a BBS shave on my neck with no bleeders.

What i do is go half XTG and half ATG with a "gillette slide", BBS every day. I doesn't hurt to stretch the skin a bit also.

I used to have big neck issues until I began to do three things:
#1 Start the shave with your neck. It helps me to better concentrate on that area.
#2 Place heavy emphasis on your pre-shave prep. Make your beard as soft as can be before your shave.
#3 Learn to lightly blade-buff with the grain.

What I did was: forget about BBS on my lower neck. Now I just go WTG and XTG there. I looks just fine, there's only a sandpapery feel when I rub it against the grain. I'm happy with that. Invisible stubble is better than visible irritation.

I have the same problem with my neck as the OP, and I think I'll have to go with this advice until I get better. If I go against the grain, even with a cartridge, it looks like I'm auditioning for a B horror movie.

Today (my third DE shave), I did two WTG, one XTG, and a very, very light ATG on the most visible area only. A little bleeding and still a bit of visible stubble, but it's the best I've gotten yet.

What worked for me is to use absolutely zero pressure and concentrate on the blade angle. That and using gentle, short strokes making sure that the blade sort of 'floats' over my neck with the cream/soap as its 'cushion'. You really should hold the razor in such a way that it literally almost slips from your fingers.

What also worked for me is to actually use lighter razors. This is maybe contrary to the general advice but I have found that for example a 33C or Feather Portable still has enough weight to do the job. In my opinion, some razors are just too heavy. That is the reason, for example, why I sold my Merkur 38C. Letting the weight of the razor do the job is very good thing but there shouldn't be too much weight. A razor between 40g and 60g is the best IMO.

The last and probably the best thing you can do, is to use a full hollow ground straight razor. I have really no idea how and why this works, but somehow it works, I think many straight shavers can testify to that.

Really great advice guys. I will work further on blade angle and pressure. Yes, the neck is a different angle entirely. Thanks.

What worked for me was learning how the hair on the neck area grows. There were some areas where I thought I was going with the grain but I was actually going across (and sometimes even against). So at first I thought I already knew how my neck was but I was mistaken.

Start from the smoothest direction and work the area like a clock by the hours: 12 o'clock - 2 o'clock - 4 etc to define your territory. Following the swirls of your neck may prevent you from getting a smooth shave when sticking to what may appear to be a "standardized" wtg, atg, xtg. Follow the swirls.

Really great advice guys. I will work further on blade angle and pressure. Yes, the neck is a different angle entirely. Thanks.

Shaving your face, as others have said, is soooo much more forgiving than your neck. I was in your boat, in the beginning. My face was BBS, so I thought I had good technique. So I couldn't understand why I was shredding my neck. I only learned proper blade angle (the shallower the better), and what it REALLY means to use no pressure, by concentrating on my neck.

It is possible to go ATG on your neck and get BBS every time you shave. I can say that, because I have done it consistently now for about six weeks. It only came after 1) knowing the grain on my neck, 2) perfecting my preshave prep, 3) learning correct blade angle, and 4) truly using no pressure at all.

Good luck.

go against the grain with a disposible for awhile.
OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW!!!!! That's the reason I started with a DE in the first place!

Make extra lather if you need to, the neck is no place to skimp. Try just a WTG and XTG at first. When I try for a BBS on my neck, the water has to be hot, the lather just so etc... or I'll have to take a "shaving holiday" for a day or two to heal. Once the red is there, abstinence is the only cure.

Short very light strokes, use extra care. If you begin to feel the pull, stop and say "good enough".

Top Bottom