What's new

This is not OK, right? FATIP blade exposure.

I bought a Fatip Grande last week and was just getting it ready for a first shave tomorrow when I noticed the blade exposure was nearly double on one side of the razor. I couldn't shift it at all (see photo) so that the blade exposure was even. It seems that the cap is not even (blade is not sliding under the post, although there is a gap where the posts touch the cap). I tried a cap from another razor and the exposure was perfectly even. Send it back or is this just normal?
Yikes.jpg

I bought a Fatip Grande last week and was just getting it ready for a first shave tomorrow when I noticed the blade exposure was nearly double on one side of the razor. I couldn't shift it at all (see photo) so that the blade exposure was even. It seems that the cap is not even (blade is not sliding under the post, although there is a gap where the posts touch the cap). I tried a cap from another razor and the exposure was perfectly even. Send it back or is this just normal?View attachment 1144365
Definitely doesn't look normal to me. I think you should send it back.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Hi, I just shave with my Fatip OC Grande this morning. Your picture...the blade is not aligned, not normal but....that's Fatip, quite normal to have this issue. Mine was the same. Just need to fiddle a few seconds to get it right.

What I did, as I learned from the members here is to flip your top-cap. Sort flip it the other way around. The best is to load the blade with the cap on a flat surface. Slowly screw in the handle and you can hear the blade being compressed. Hold both blade ends and you can sorta even out the alignment as you tighten the handle. This razor ease of alignment depends on the kind of DE blades you use. Some easy and some you need to fiddle. All due to the blade center is of different gaps.

Had a magnificent shave with the razor after that...

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The same thing happened with my Fatip’s. It does help to place a towel on the vanity basin then place the head of the razor on that with the thread up in the air. Drop the blade onto the cap, then place the base plate on that and then screw the handle on. I just stopped using them in the end.

The same thing happened with my Fatip’s. It does help to place a towel on the vanity basin then place the head of the razor on that with the thread up in the air. Drop the blade onto the cap, then place the base plate on that and then screw the handle on. I just stopped using them in the end.

+1! Typical issue for the FaTips. Fortunately, the fix is easy! :thumbup:

I tried a cap from another razor and the exposure was perfectly even. Send it back or is this just normal?
What you are seeing there is mainly uneven blade reveal but also some eneven blade exposure. You will find a lot of tolerance in the pin positions and also the base plate hole on the Fatips. The cap can be centralised to resolve that issue. It seemed more prevalent with the Mk1 and you will soon get used to it. A little adjustment by eye before tightening will quickly resolve that issue. These are the vagaries of some Fatip heads.
You could send it back because of the excessive tolerances or simply spend a few seconds lining it up; they shave well.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Like others have said, just fix it and shave on. You are in control of the blade alignment, the razor isn't. So take control. Don't let the razor tell you what to do.

I love this response. 🤣

To the OP: I use the "towel on the counter" method and rarely have to adjust. The resulting shave is worth the 30 seconds you might occasionally spend adjusting the blade.

I've had 2 Fatip Grandes and a Schone. I'm pretty sure my Fatips were Mk1.

The first one was a gunmetal that I absolutely could not get evenly aligned. I sent that back.

My replacement was the gold version. That one still had issues, but I was able to align it if I fiddled with it long enough. When I was able to get it aligned properly, it gave my some of my best shaves of any razor I've ever owned. It had both high efficiency and excellent comfort. The Fatip Grande also feels almost perfect to me in terms of size, weight, and balance. I got tired of messing with it though, so I PIF'd that one

I picked up a Schone to see if it was any better. I'm pretty sure the Schone is the Mk2 version. It doesn't feel quite as efficient as the Fatip Grande. It can still be forced out of alignment, but it naturally seats evenly if you load it upside down and leave the blade alone as you tighten up. I just don't enjoy it quite as much because of that bit of efficiency difference, so I've relegated it to my travel razor.

What you are seeing there is mainly uneven blade reveal but also some eneven blade exposure. You will find a lot of tolerance in the pin positions and also the base plate hole on the Fatips. The cap can be centralised to resolve that issue. It seemed more prevalent with the Mk1 and you will soon get used to it. A little adjustment by eye before tightening will quickly resolve that issue. These are the vagaries of some Fatip heads.
You could send it back because of the excessive tolerances or simply spend a few seconds lining it up; they shave well.
I've decided to send it back. I tried to align the blade but there was very little play at any stage of tightening the head. I actually busted out my dial calipers, the problem is that the posts are not centered on the cap, it's off by quite a bit. As a result there is no way to center the blade. I have seen that often there is play in the blade and it can then be centered as you tighten the head, a couple of my razors do that. Sadly, that's not the case here.

I've decided to send it back. I tried to align the blade but there was very little play at any stage of tightening the head. I actually busted out my dial calipers, the problem is that the posts are not centered on the cap, it's off by quite a bit. As a result there is no way to center the blade. I have seen that often there is play in the blade and it can then be centered as you tighten the head, a couple of my razors do that. Sadly, that's not the case here.
Interesting. I had one that I swear had a cap that was not "square," as they say in the carpentry business, but I don't have calipers and was never able to prove it. But I believe that it was narrower at one end than it was at the other.

I agree with sending it back if it can't be manually aligned. Fatip quality control is VERY spotty.

I just returned a Piccolo for the same reason. I messed with it for a while and could not get it to align properly, and I decided it was not worth the work when I have very good razors that shave me beautifully and require no babysitting.

I just returned a Piccolo for the same reason. I messed with it for a while and could not get it to align properly, and I decided it was not worth the work when I have very good razors that shave me beautifully and require no babysitting.

I felt the same way after using my Grande for a month. I sold it on here. Supposedly they have made the heads better now... who knows.

I had the same problem.Gave aeay the razor ...my buddy didn't mind the flaw.I want to buy the slant any one have QC problems with that.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

My first OC Slant has zero trouble, cap fits both ways and the exposure is even. The second I bought to put away (I won’t be caught without one 🥰) the cap fits well one way, the other way leaves a gap between the cap and base, the exposure is even like the first however.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Yup...my Nobile Tuxedo...same thing. I have to manually align it before the final tightening twist. It's doable though.

Last edited:
For the life of me, I don't get the appeal of these razors. Except the cost, I guess. But the old adage, you get what you pay for, really rings true with these things. There are too many other great razors out there to settle for these persistent problems with poor quality.

Top Bottom