What's new

Thirdeye Pastrami?

It's been well over a decade since this thirdeye blogpost , but it looks timeless.

I have a question: Does anyone know if this is still the thirdeye method or has the thinking evolved over the years?
Also, what do y'all do for your pastrami?

And hey, what about wood? I imagine oak and a bit of fruitwood is a sufficient amount of smoke for pastrami.

I'm very satisfied with my straight up brisket (I say high heat o-tay!) but haven't yet given that beef a'brining first.

Roger

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
This is pastrami:

I bet it tasted good. Looks hand cut . . . but not well cut and usually there is more meat. If anybody finds their way to Toronto. . . avoid Katz' deli. Because of it's location I've had to have business lunches many times there . . . it never fails to fail.

thats one of the things i miss the most, here in spain all coldcuts are pork or turkey based, i would kill for a decent pastrami sandwitch, and making it from scratch takes close to 2 weeks just to get the meat ready to smoke,

Real smoked meat says hi!

proxy.php

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Real smoked meat says hi!

So many people here have never had Montreal Smoked meat and don't know what they are missing. As a former St. Lambert guy I know too well what I'm missing. I think Smoked meat is to Montreal as Pizza is to NYC . . . ain't nobody that does it better.

Last edited:
I just ate and this thread is making me HUNGRY :o16::o16::o16: Please keep it up!!!

Anyone ever try The Hat out in the LA area? Found it when we were on vacation there. Wife and I enjoyed it. French fries comes in a paper lunch bag. A small french fry is enough for two people.

It's very nice how ...hungry... everyone gets when thinking of pastrami.

This thread was meant to be about brining, smoking and yes, eating, the brisket.

Does anyone have any thoughts about cooking pastrami?
Bob S? Jim? Anyone?

Here's what I think I'll do:

• Brine - My 2 mini-briskets are brining in the fridge and will have been there for about 36 hours when I rinse it and throw it on the Egg.
  • Fuel - I plan to use oak charcoal with some applewood, because that seems a good mild smoke with which I have some experience.
  • Fire - I think I'll cook it around 250F until an internal temp of 125F or so, and then ramp it up to quite hot to an internal of 140F. I don't think I'll foil it at all, as I like a bit of leathery crust as a counterpoint to the juicy interior.
  • Rest - Since I don't want to spend too much time cooking while my group is tasting great bourbons, I'll try to be pulling it around 1-2 hours before serving and let it rest wrapped in towels in a picnic cooler until the magic moment.
  • Serve - I resolve that, for once, I will put a decent edge on my carving knife. Thin slices make the difference between a good flavor and a good overall dining experience with pastrami. And as Dave Niehaus would (almost) say GET OUT THE RYE BREAD AND MUSTARD, GRANDMA. IT'S THE GRAND PASTRAMI!!!

Roger

Last edited:
It's very nice how ...hungry... everyone gets when thinking of pastrami.

This thread was meant to be about brining, smoking and yes, eating, the brisket.

Does anyone have any thoughts about cooking pastrami?
Bob S? Jim? Anyone?

Here's what I think I'll do:

• Brine - My 2 mini-briskets are brining in the fridge and will have been there for about 36 hours when I rinse it and throw it on the Egg.
  • Fuel - I plan to use oak charcoal with some applewood, because that seems a good mild smoke with which I have some experience.
  • Fire - I think I'll cook it around 250F until an internal temp of 125F or so, and then ramp it up to quite hot to an internal of 140F. I don't think I'll foil it at all, as I like a bit of leathery crust as a counterpoint to the juicy interior.
  • Rest - Since I don't want to spend too much time cooking while my group is tasting great bourbons, I'll try to be pulling it around 1-2 hours before serving and let it rest wrapped in towels in a picnic cooler until the magic moment.
  • Serve - I resolve that, for once, I will put a decent edge on my carving knife. Thin slices make the difference between a good flavor and a good overall dining experience with pastrami. And as Dave Niehaus would (almost) say GET OUT THE RYE BREAD AND MUSTARD, GRANDMA. IT'S THE GRAND PASTRAMI!!!
Roger

BBQ Brisket/Pastrami and ect need to reach 195 internal or so to be tender.
A probe inserted all over the meat should pass through "like butter"

This should take 7-8 hours, at the temps you mentioned, but let the meat tell you when its ready. I like oak and cherry wood for my pastrami.

BBQ Brisket/Pastrami and ect need to reach 195 internal or so to be tender.
A probe inserted all over the meat should pass through "like butter"

This should take 7-8 hours, at the temps you mentioned, but let the meat tell you when its ready. I like oak and cherry wood for my pastrami.

Thanks, Jim.

Do the rules for brisket apply to the brined pastrami? I noticed that Thirdeye's Method 1 calls for an internal of 165 to 170 and the meat is tender. This is a temp well below the "plateau" of 185 to 190, so I took it that the brining and the long rest he calls for would turn those collagens to heavenly juices. Maybe not, though.

If pastrami cooks just like a regular ol' brisket, then I know exactly what I want to do. I had thought it was significantly different...

Roger

Top Bottom