What's new

Thinking About Two-Bands

Below is a picture of two of my favorite brushes; a Shavemac D01 three band and a Rooney 1XL two band. The Shavermac knot is 26 X 50 and the Rooney 27 X 47. I thought it worth comparing these brushes as they are almost indistinguishable from each other in use. Too often specific characteristics are ascribed to two-bands, when in fact the maker , the knot shape, density and the loft to knot ratio, have as much or more to do with how the bush performs. These brushes have about the same density, great backbone and not even a hint of scritch with über-soft tips. They easily load soap and work fabulously for face lathering quickly releasing lather. The point is that when considering a brush that will best suit your preferences and shaving style, all of the specifications are important. This is borne out by a couple of Simpson Persian Jar 3s I have; one in two-band and the other in Super three-band. The three band is denser with a shorter loft and has all the characteristics normally expected of a two-band. Thäter makes wonderful brushes, but the difference their two-band bulb & fan shapes is as wide as Mars and Venus.

$IMG_2376.jpg

excellent comparison and thoughts, and all so true.

loft, density, hair type, knot shape, splay, density and more....there are so many things to consider.

often a brush that looks like it will be perfect for something, turns out to be not so and other times a brush looks like it will be just ok, and ends up being perfection, and all because of slightly different characteristics that often go overlooked.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
excellent comparison and thoughts, and all so true.

loft, density, hair type, knot shape, splay, density and more....there are so many things to consider.

often a brush that looks like it will be perfect for something, turns out to be not so and other times a brush looks like it will be just ok, and ends up being perfection, and all because of slightly different characteristics that often go overlooked.

+1

Great OP.

Can you (Face&Head) feel a difference between the two brushes based on knot shape?

Wow, your 1XL is huge! Mine never got past 25mm! That is more in line with the 2XL.
Great thoughts on the brushes and enjoy them.

Wow, your 1XL is huge! Mine never got past 25mm! That is more in line with the 2XL.

Right you are! My 2XL is 28 X 48, so the most significant difference is the size of the handle (I think the hair in the 2XL is some of the best I've ever experienced). The surprise is the little Stubby 1 3-band. I don't believe this has been produced in some time. The handle is just 37mm (current offerings are 42) with a 26.5 X 45 knot. This is the most densely packed brush I own, more than the XLs or even my Chubbies. The hair is very fine and it has the "gel like" feel often used to describe the XLs of previous generations. I'm normally a big brush lover but this is a real honey.

$IMG_2380.jpg

Top Bottom