What's new

REVIEW: Frank Shaving G5/G7 synthetic brushes.

Being that I have and use regularly 2 of these knots in handles I commissioned I would respectfully disagree with the TNS Angel Hair and the Quarter Moon being non-premium as they are premium in my opinion and the reason I switched to all TNS knotted brushes in my cabinet... I'd put these and the Timberwolf of his up against any brush out there, any day!!

I meant they are non-premium pricing wise.
TnS angel, quarter/full moon are all superb!!

Disclaimer: I'm going by the assumption that the G5 black knot is commonly referred to as G5B and the G7 is referred to as G5C.
The G7 has a remarkable likeness to a two band badger (2BB). This matches the reviews I've read regarding the G5C knot.

This bulb knot has all the characteristics of a 2BB!
The G5C discussed in this thread is a fan, not a bulb. Are you referring to a different G5C? Or are these the same fibers, different shape?

Sorry, I’m still new to shaving brushes and am trying to understand some of the different synthetic knots. And all these “G5” knots are confusing me.

The G5C discussed in this thread is a fan, not a bulb. Are you referring to a different G5C? Or are these the same fibers, different shape?

Sorry, I’m still new to shaving brushes and am trying to understand some of the different synthetic knots. And all these “G5” knots are confusing me.

I don't have the "G5C" so it was just my assumption. They may actually be different fibres but given both the G5C and the G7 are made in Germany, there's a chance they may be the same fibre.

The G7 has a light scrub (zero scritch) and excellent splay similar to a 2 band badger. That's what differentiates this from more standard/budget synthetic knots.

I don't have the "G5C" so it was just my assumption. They may actually be different fibres but given both the G5C and the G7 are made in Germany, there's a chance they may be the same fibre.

The G7 has a light scrub (zero scritch) and excellent splay similar to a 2 band badger. That's what differentiates this from more standard/budget synthetic knots.
The AP ShaveCo G5C is not made in Gemany like the G5A/B, it is made in Japan...

The AP ShaveCo G5C is not made in Gemany like the G5A/B, it is made in Japan...

I should clarify that FS have stated the fibre is made in germany but finished/processed in Japan.

I don't know if this clarifies or adds further to the confusion 😄

I used the G7 again today and I'm really impressed with how well it emulates a broken in 2 band badger.

I agree on the comparison of G7 to Evo. I would also say they feel similar.
I found the Simpson platinum fibre to be the softest at the tips but didn't like the experience as much as STF and G7.
My order of preference would be: Muhle STF*, G7, Evo, Simpson.
I totally agree with everything you said there! I was quite impressed with the G7, and for me as well, this is now my 2nd favorite synthetic brush after Muhle STF 25mm. Evo is 3rd for me as well, followed by Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic Bristle (I don't like the artificial feeling "backbone" of Simpson brushes that comes as a result of keeping the loft short. The excessive resistance to splay is not much fun at all.)

As you mention (for FS G7), no scritch whatsoever. Instead, a sweet scrub that imitates a quality finest badger hair. I don't know how they did it but it feels quite natural and, different from the "synthetic" feel most other synthetic brushes have. I also agree that Muhle STF 25mm is still (by far) the best overall synthetic brush and it seems it will remain so for many years to come. I will try to share some pics of my 26 mm G7 brush soon.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Nice looking brushes. Wondering if they're sourcing their synthetic fibers from the same place that AP Shave Co is.

I totally agree with everything you said there! I was quite impressed with the G7, and for me as well, this is now my 2nd favorite synthetic brush after Muhle STF 25mm. Evo is 3rd for me as well, followed by Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic Bristle (I don't like the artificial feeling "backbone" of Simpson brushes that comes as a result of keeping the loft short. The excessive resistance to splay is not much fun at all.)

As you mention (for FS G7), no scritch whatsoever. Instead, a sweet scrub that imitates a quality finest badger hair. I don't know how they did it but it feels quite natural and, different from the "synthetic" feel most other synthetic brushes have. I also agree that Muhle STF 25mm is still (by far) the best overall synthetic brush and it seems it will remain so for many years to come. I will try to share some pics of my 26 mm G7 brush soon.

Yeah, that G7 scrub is quite special in how they've gotten a synthetic to feel like a broken in 2 band badger.

The STF on the other hand feels like a plush silvertip badger. The 25mm version is absolute perfection!

I know the thread is about fs G7. But can you compare TNS quarter moon with paa brush? I want to get a new brush or knot for a while.

I don't have any PAA brushes as they've never caught my attention but from all the reviews, I'd say the quarter moon will have more backbone.

The quarter moon has a nice splay and the fan shape of the knot gives a nice face feel.

Nice looking brushes. Wondering if they're sourcing their synthetic fibers from the same place that AP Shave Co is.

It's very hard to say who is sourcing from where however, I'd say FS has more scale to be able to develop fibres given they are a major wholesaler to the shaving brush making industry.

In fact, they developed the G4 fibre in-house and many brands/brush makers use this knot in their brushes.

Finally I'm able to share some photos. For ease of comparison, I've captured four of my premium synthetic brushes (Simpson Chubby 2, Omega Evo 1st gen, Frank Shaving G7 26mm, Muhle STF 25mm) together, along with my timeless bowl (which I like very much) ;)

IMG_20220801_213052.jpg
IMG_20220801_213101.jpg
IMG_20220801_213105.jpg
IMG_20220801_213117.jpg
IMG_20220801_213154.jpg
IMG_20220801_213203.jpg
IMG_20220801_213227.jpg

Finally I'm able to share some photos. For ease of comparison, I've captured four of my premium synthetic brushes (Simpson Chubby 2, Omega Evo 1st gen, Frank Shaving G7 26mm, Muhle STF 25mm) together, along with my timeless bowl (which I like very much) ;)

View attachment 1497756View attachment 1497757View attachment 1497758View attachment 1497760View attachment 1497761View attachment 1497762View attachment 1497755

Gorgeous collection!!
Thanks for sharing!

The G7 handle looks lovely!!

Being that I have and use regularly 2 of these knots in handles I commissioned I would respectfully disagree with the TNS Angel Hair and the Quarter Moon being non-premium as they are premium in my opinion and the reason I switched to all TNS knotted brushes in my cabinet... I'd put these and the Timberwolf of his up against any brush out there, any day!!
I don't know premium knots from regular ones but agree the TNS Quartermoon is an excellent knot.

Update:

After having used the G5C, I can confirm the G7 is NOT the same fibre/knot.

It's not just a fan VS bulb situation.
The G7 fibre actually is different feeling.
It gives a slight scrub, like a two band badger. It's not at all scratchy, but a soft scrub and face feel/presence.

The G5C has feather-soft tips and feels ultra soft on the skin. The splay and tactile response characteristics are awesome, similar to a badger. The G7 also exhibits these characteristics.

Both are wonderful synthetic fibres/knots and I put these in the premium synth category.

Both are worth having in the den as they provide different experiences.

Update:

After having used the G5C, I can confirm the G7 is NOT the same fibre/knot.

It's not just a fan VS bulb situation.
The G7 fibre actually is different feeling.
It gives a slight scrub, like a two band badger. It's not at all scratchy, but a soft scrub and face feel/presence.

The G5C has feather-soft tips and feels ultra soft on the skin. The splay and tactile response characteristics are awesome, similar to a badger. The G7 also exhibits these characteristics.

Both are wonderful synthetic fibres/knots and I put these in the premium synth category.

Both are worth having in the den as they provide different experiences.
Hello,
Congratulations on your review!
I read the thread and it made me want a G7 knot brush. I did a quick search and came across Dscosmetic's offerings. According to user reviews, they offer good value for money.
As an actual owner of a G7 knot brush I would appreciate some advice on size, would 26mm or 30mm be more suitable?
My favorite synthetic brush size is 28mm on the Omega Evo 2.0, but I don't see a G7 with that size. So I'm wondering which way to compromise, 30mm, which will probably eat more foam, or 26mm, which might not be dense enough?

These are the two options I'm choosing between:

30mm

26mm

Greetings!

• Cheers
Reactions: nav
Hello,
Congratulations on your review!
I read the thread and it made me want a G7 knot brush. I did a quick search and came across Dscosmetic's offerings. According to user reviews, they offer good value for money.
As an actual owner of a G7 knot brush I would appreciate some advice on size, would 26mm or 30mm be more suitable?
My favorite synthetic brush size is 28mm on the Omega Evo 2.0, but I don't see a G7 with that size. So I'm wondering which way to compromise, 30mm, which will probably eat more foam, or 26mm, which might not be dense enough?

These are the two options I'm choosing between:

30mm

26mm

Greetings!

Thank you!!

I would advise 26mm personally because the G7 will splay a bit more than omega Evo.

This is based on the assumption that you'll receive the G7 with minimal glue bump.
If glue bump is 10mm or more, the brush will be stiff and unpleasant.

Please request the seller to send you a brush with minimal glue bump.

Top Bottom