What's new

Thinking about getting back into DE

Yea, I'm not chasing daily BBS anymore for sure. I find my success rate us significantly higher when I only try occasionally. I'm also not saying I'm not going ATG sometimes either. I'm looking for a situation where I can go ATG to get another level of smoothness but also not have it take me to 100% BBS because even if I do it successfully I find irritation builds if it's too frequently. Another reason why I want to revisit mild open combs (like the 15c I'm giving a whirl tomorrow), seems like an effortless near BBS from your ATG pass but not quite as close as other razors thus reducing the ingrown chance further. I also have a lot of flat lying hairs and I've frequently read that they are better for this.

Shaved today with the exact same set up and situation as yesterday except today was the 2nd shave on that voskhod blade. Man that thing is smooth! I was greedy and went ATG again because yesterday went so well and I did get the same closeness of shave but I can tell I'll now need to take it easy for the next day or two.

Looks like you're getting there to regular bbs.

It might be a bit early but it sounds you might want to consider trying a good vintage OC or karve a/b OC.

With the issues of how your hair grows in different directions and how often you get ingrown hairs etc, a razor with a rigidly held blade might be something to consider.

A good condition Gillette short comb or karve a/b OC might be worth a look.

Cheers

Yea, I'm not chasing daily BBS anymore for sure. I find my success rate us significantly higher when I only try occasionally. I'm also not saying I'm not going ATG sometimes either. I'm looking for a situation where I can go ATG to get another level of smoothness but also not have it take me to 100% BBS because even if I do it successfully I find irritation builds if it's too frequently. Another reason why I want to revisit mild open combs (like the 15c I'm giving a whirl tomorrow), seems like an effortless near BBS from your ATG pass but not quite as close as other razors thus reducing the ingrown chance further. I also have a lot of flat lying hairs and I've frequently read that they are better for this.

Shaved today with the exact same set up and situation as yesterday except today was the 2nd shave on that voskhod blade. Man that thing is smooth! I was greedy and went ATG again because yesterday went so well and I did get the same closeness of shave but I can tell I'll now need to take it easy for the next day or two.

If the 15C is anything like the Merkur 1904, that's an open comb that NEVER bit me!!

Looks like you're getting there to regular bbs.

It might be a bit early but it sounds you might want to consider trying a good vintage OC or karve a/b OC.

With the issues of how your hair grows in different directions and how often you get ingrown hairs etc, a razor with a rigidly held blade might be something to consider.

A good condition Gillette short comb or karve a/b OC might be worth a look.

Cheers

Merkur 15c on deck for today. I've got band practice tonight so it will be a quick 1 passer.

If the 15C is anything like the Merkur 1904, that's an open comb that NEVER bit me!!

Same head, different handle. I had one a few years ago and quickly dismissed it because while it gave me effortless DFS, I never could get a proper BBS... Well, I'm not shooting for BBS all the time anymore so I'm thinking that almost irrelevant amount of residual stubble that use to drive me crazy will now be just close enough without giving me problems. The 37c got me there but I had to go sooooo slow, I can move a bit quicker with a mild open comb.

Top Bottom