What's new

Thinking about getting back into DE

Great suggestions above re choice of razors!

I would also add that you may be better off going for C&C rather than BBS shaves. Go WTG and/or XTG only. My thought is that going for too close a shave may increase your chance of getting razor bumps!

I've had a long history with shaving problems, like most people who come here. I joined her a few years ago and have had the opportunity to learn and try so many things, for which I'm very greatful. To make a very long story short, I stopped using DEs in place of a Gillette Guard then stopped using that in place of a Braun series 9 (very condensed version of that tale)... this was all due to continuous bumps and ingrown hairs. No matter what I did (prep, blade, razor, etc) I always got ingrown hairs and it continued after almost 4 years of regular practice with DE. I'm now at a point in life again where I have a few minutes to shave each day and I have interest in picking up DEs again. If it still doesn't work out then I'll stick with the Braun, it gives very satisfactory results with little to no irritation... It's just boring.

So, after that long winded intro, I need some razor advice. I know YMMV so I'm more looking for experiences/opinions on this:

I found the pif "take a razor, add a razor" thread. Here is the link, it may help.

PIF: Take a razor, add a razor

Great suggestions above re choice of razors!

I would also add that you may be better off going for C&C rather than BBS shaves. Go WTG and/or XTG only. My thought is that going for too close a shave may increase your chance of getting razor bumps!

Using devices like cartridges and electric foils have really changed my idea of what is considered an "adequate" daily shave. I've moved beyond a daily BBS need at this point in my shaving and that's a big reason why I want to revisit them.

I found the pif "take a razor, add a razor" thread. Here is the link, it may help.

PIF: Take a razor, add a razor

Awesome, thanks!

Funny story and a quick update:

After all this talk I was craving something even close to a traditional shave. I found an extra safety razor with blades I bought at the dollar store for $1 and never opened. I opened it up, gave it a quick alcohol spray, loaded a blade, and jumped in the shower for a shave (I always used to shower shave) with the only thing I had around... Barbasol original. I only did a two pass, no atg, shave which is not what I used to do. This resulted in a comfortable DFS, with a dollar razor + blade and foam, and no irritation at all. Very good confidence booster for me wanting to get back into DEs. This was this razor's maiden voyage and on literally the last swipe of my two pass shave I dropped it on the floor of my shower which bent the safety bar all outta whack so I retired it. Only $1, don't expect it to take a heavy fall. Finished off with a little witch hazel then some Osage rub and I'm good to go.

With that being said, I just placed an order with maggard (my preferred shop from my prior DE days). I went with the 37c as I have previously run many razor trials and for me it always came out on top. I got a maggard 22mm synth brush because it's the style I preferred and I got a la toja shave stick because I was a face latherer before and found the mineral salts to really help with neck problems. For blades I went with a time tested favorite for me, Astra SP. I also picked up something new I have had interest in trying: Bic Chrome Platinum. If anyone has any blade suggestions I would appreciate it! I liked blades like Astra SP, gsb, 7oc black, for example.

Should be here early next week!

For blade suggestions, I would recommend the PolSilver and the Voshkods. I have fairly sensitive skin and a wire like beard that grows fast. These two blades have worked incredibly well for me. Also, I know this may sound counter intuitive but I found that making my shave as simple as possible and switch to medium temp to cool water helped my irritation and ingrown hairs a ton. I now shower, medium to cool water splash on face/neck when I get out. Lather up with a good soap and work the lather into my face/neck a bit with the brush, simple WTG and XTG passes then cold water rinse and go. No pre shave, no aftershave no cleanser or scrub, no nothing else. Honestly cutting out all that other stuff and just doing a basic simple shave and touching my skin less and using soaps with really good post shave has made all the difference :)

For blade suggestions, I would recommend the PolSilver and the Voshkods. I have fairly sensitive skin and a wire like beard that grows fast. These two blades have worked incredibly well for me. Also, I know this may sound counter intuitive but I found that making my shave as simple as possible and switch to medium temp to cool water helped my irritation and ingrown hairs a ton. I now shower, medium to cool water splash on face/neck when I get out. Lather up with a good soap and work the lather into my face/neck a bit with the brush, simple WTG and XTG passes then cold water rinse and go. No pre shave, no aftershave no cleanser or scrub, no nothing else. Honestly cutting out all that other stuff and just doing a basic simple shave and touching my skin less and using soaps with really good post shave has made all the difference :)

A lot of what you mentioned has helped me in the past as well. Not touching my skin and really minimizing post shave ingredients made improvements. I use room temp to cold water because I usually shower shave and usually take room temp to cold showers. I also only use Osage rub due to it's limited ingredients (and scent!) And sometimes some witch hazel.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
In my DE trials I went through easily 30+ razors in 4 years. I consistently found the best results with either the merkur 37c or the paa prismatic. I know they are very different razors but if anyone here has experience with both, may I ask your thoughts and which you prefer?

30+ razors? You tried that many? I’m surprised that you didn’t give up on all DE razors!

Last edited:
30+ razors? You tried that many? I’m surprised that you didn’t give up all DE razors!

I basically did haha. I don't remember (nor will list) them all but some highlights include: 5+ different techs, 4+ different superspeeds, 2-3 old types, every PAA razor besides the DOC, every merkur razor besides the adjustables and the travel razors with the fold up pouch, most of the razorock razors, most of the maggard branded razors, and more. I also went through 4 different shavettes and 6-7 different injectors. I gave every razor at least 1 month of use with a few different preferred blades, lathers, and shaving situations (shower, sink, on the road). Out of all of them the only thing that consistently outperformed the rest for me was the 37c and that's why I chose it as my come-back razor.

Sad part is... That's just hardware. I dont even want to get into my soap, cream, and aftershave trials during that same time.

Minor update: I've been playing with the new gillettse skinguard (another thread going about this) and while I was on the fence at first, if it continues to perform like it did today then I may not even worry about DEs again haha. My other ordered items should be here soon.

If you like the Skinguard then you shouldn't get an aggressive DE. If you still want to play I would suggest a vintage Slim Adjustable razor as an excellent product that can be fine tuned to your needs. And avoid BBS shaves.

If you like the Skinguard then you shouldn't get an aggressive DE. If you still want to play I would suggest a vintage Slim Adjustable razor as an excellent product that can be fine tuned to your needs. And avoid BBS shaves.

I actually had a slim previously and while I loved it I found my ocd caused me to over fiddle with the setting haha. I'll have to pick it up once more. I'm also going to try the guard again, I think if I let my skin get used to blades again then I can start working towards DE as regular shavers.

I actually had a slim previously and while I loved it I found my ocd caused me to over fiddle with the setting haha. I'll have to pick it up once more. I'm also going to try the guard again, I think if I let my skin get used to blades again then I can start working towards DE as regular shavers.

It's hard for anyone to really give you any advice or info you don't know as you've tried so many razors.

I'm sorta luckier in that I only had my dad's old Gillette English tech to practice on.

Even though a whole bunch of razors are on their way from slims, to karves and GCs etc, etc, I'm just going to work on technique till I can shave and get BBS every time with the GET.

So far so good with the exception of the first 3 days when I tried too hard and got some razor burn, I've learned to shave better and better.

Why not you find a simple razor (one that you can't mess too much with unlike an adjustable) that you know shaves well with and just try different techniques like shallow cap riding or use a smoother blade.

It's hard for anyone to really give you any advice or info you don't know as you've tried so many razors.

I'm sorta luckier in that I only had my dad's old Gillette English tech to practice on.

Even though a whole bunch of razors are on their way from slims, to karves and GCs etc, etc, I'm just going to work on technique till I can shave and get BBS every time with the GET.

So far so good with the exception of the first 3 days when I tried too hard and got some razor burn, I've learned to shave better and better.

Why not you find a simple razor (one that you can't mess too much with unlike an adjustable) that you know shaves well with and just try different techniques like shallow cap riding or use a smoother blade.

I've been thinking about revisiting a tech, I had a few and always loved their smooth shave but I always fought to get a close shave and dismissed them. I've grown in my shaving mentality and maybe they are worth a revisit. I also really like tto style razors so maybe a mild super speed is in order.

I've been thinking about revisiting a tech, I had a few and always loved their smooth shave but I always fought to get a close shave and dismissed them. I've grown in my shaving mentality and maybe they are worth a revisit. I also really like tto style razors so maybe a mild super speed is in order.

Don't rush and work on technique.
Mine is an English tech so it's slightly more aggressive than a US slim but even to me it's really mild.

It was so mild I tried to make it cut better and used an aggressive technique and got razor burn.

It's when I went slow, respected the razor and didn't try too hard that I got really nice shaves.

It shouldn't take 4 passes to get bbs I get bbs in 2 when I respect it. However, I don't really like it to be honest, it's too light and the handle too small but makes a great travel razor.

Try the tech n work on feeling how the head cuts as u test the angles

Good luck

It shouldn't take 4 passes to get bbs I get bbs in 2 when I respect it. However, I don't really like it to be honest, it's too light and the handle too small but makes a great travel razor.

When someone has swirls, it can take 4 passes for those areas. I can get 1 pass BBS's, except for border areas, which require another pass, and swirls, which require yet another. If I had more than 2 swirls, I could see it taking 4 passes.

When someone has swirls, it can take 4 passes for those areas. I can get 1 pass BBS's, except for border areas, which require another pass, and swirls, which require yet another. If I had more than 2 swirls, I could see it taking 4 passes.

Ah good to know. Didn't think of swirls.

Op has used 30+ razors so I doubt a razor rock mamba or whatever new will make a huge difference. What really works is getting a good technique.

A vintage Gillette slim is as good if not better as many newer razors and with the right technique most razors will give bbs after a few tries.

Cheers

I can get 1 pass BBS's, except for border areas, which require another pass, and swirls, which require yet another.
When I see statements like this it really makes me wonder what someone is really thinking or not!!

If you can get a BBS shave in 1 pass there would be no reason for a second, third, etc... You obviously can't get a BBS shave in 1 pass so why call it a 1 pass BBS shave? A BBS shave is of the entire portion of what your shave consists of, be that face, neck or head only or all the above... If you shave and can't acquire a BBS in all area's you shave then you haven't achieved BBS...its as simple as that!! If it takes more than 1 pass, then its not a 1 pass BBS shave!!

Seems simple enough to me!!

Top Bottom