What's new

The Worst Blade

You guys have no idea just how good all of those blades mentioned are until you try a Chinese Flying Eagle blade. By far hands down the absolute worst blade I've ever tried. This blade truly sucks and I have no idea why they are even made. It's a completely unusable blade. It's the only blade I've found so far that I couldn't complete a shave with.

It is just sharp enough to actually catch the hair but not sharp enough to cut through it. This gives it the unique quality of being able to catch the hair enough so that it can be pulled out root and all. After the first pass I switched to another blade to actually cut all of the hair that the Flying Eagle blade didn't manage to pull out.

I put some in a pass around box and sent some to others as well and so far I know of nobody actually finishing a shave with one.[/QUOTE]

Remind me to never accept a gift from dfoulk!!!
He's a saboteur who intends to harm others it seems!
:bayrum2:

LOL, I actually like the people here so those blades came with a serious warning that they sucked bad. I had to include them though as they were all black with gold lettering and about the coolest looking blade I've ever seen.

I just tried a 'Zorrik' this last weekend and I remember thinking that it was possibly the worst blade I've ever tried.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Wilkinson swords for me. Tried one and it felt like a cheese grater. Threw the rest of the pack away.

NNNNOOOO! If you're going to throw anything else away, just send them to me! :thumbup1: Wilkinson Swords always sound rough when I'm shaving with them, but I always end up with a clean, irritation free shave.

Not counting Merkur, which is a blade NO ONE should even try to use

After a couple of months of putting it off due to the comments on this site, today, I tried the Merkur Stainless that came with my razor. I seriously don't know what all of the fuss is about. Granted, it wasn't the most comfortable shave I've had, but I wouldn't consider it bad in any way, shape, or form. I had a weeper/irritation free BBS shave on most of my face, with a DFS+ on a small patch of my jugular. I wouldn't buy a pack of Merkurs, but I don't think they're unusable. Maybe I just got lucky with the one that came with my razor, though.

After a couple of months of putting it off due to the comments on this site, today, I tried the Merkur Stainless that came with my razor. I seriously don't know what all of the fuss is about. Granted, it wasn't the most comfortable shave I've had, but I wouldn't consider it bad in any way, shape, or form. I had a weeper/irritation free BBS shave on most of my face, with a DFS+ on a small patch of my jugular. I wouldn't buy a pack of Merkurs, but I don't think they're unusable. Maybe I just got lucky with the one that came with my razor, though.

Nope, not just you. I like them enough, just not enough to justify the price.

Previously I mentioned 7am blades being among my worst. My newest addition is the Super Max Super Stainless in the green/yellow pack. Tried in 3 different razors and got tired of seeing blood. Tried a Super Max Platinum afterwards and if I hadn't known better I'd have thought they came from a different company. The rest of those Super Stainless are going to have to get traded.

Nope, not just you. I like them enough, just not enough to justify the price.

Previously I mentioned 7am blades being among my worst. My newest addition is the Super Max Super Stainless in the green/yellow pack. Tried in 3 different razors and got tired of seeing blood. Tried a Super Max Platinum afterwards and if I hadn't known better I'd have thought they came from a different company. The rest of those Super Stainless are going to have to get traded.
I think i blotted the 7am from memory it was so bad. Completely forgot about it.

It's not the first shave that's so bad with Shark (for me), it's the second. The second shave with a Shark (which I've tried a few times, in case I got a dud) just brutally traumatizes my face. It's like shaving with a cheese grater. I respect everyone who can get good, comfortable shaves with this blade.
+1

i just tried getting a second shave on a shark a couple days ago, and it was not fun. I pushed through two passes before I gave up and swapped out another razor (easier than swapping blades on the fly). Both passes were uncomfortable, but the second was the worst, and on that second pass, each stroke was harsher than the previous. By the last stroke it seemed like I was doing more damage to my skin than my hair. Aside from the redness, it was hard to tell I'd shaved two passes, because the stubble that was left was substantial enough to be from a shave he night before. I didn't do any lasting damage, but I wish I would have swapped out earlier. I had the mentality that somehow I was going to use such perfect technique that I could pull a decent shave out of it, even as I was clearly nosediving toward one of the most horrendous shaves of my life. One pass with my 1968 Gillette Knack and a Personna Red with one shave under its belt cleaned up the mess the Shark left behind.

The first shave was totally decent though. In fact, I look forward to using the other four, once each. And I won't be buying these, at least not in bulk, as is my wont, usually.

Gillette SilverBlues really seem to tear my face up. Have only used them a few times however. As I mentioned in the other thread, I would say the dorcos seem to be the worst.

Beginner and all here... Astra SP's, will continue to revisit along the journey until i've finished the pkg i have and see if that doesn't change.

Last edited:
1) I had theorized that I could get a close shave with my RazoRock Jaws, no matter what blade I put in.

2) I've read nothing but terrible reviews of the Sharp "Hi Chromium" DuraBlade.

3) I had three DuraBlades on hand, having been given them by two different PIFfers.

So, in the interest of science, I put a Sharp DuraBlade to the test. This morning was my second shave with it.

First shave: Some tugging, a few unexpected weepers, but the final result was indeed a close shave.

Second shave: Definite tugging. Then, halfway through the first pass, one edge of the blade got REALLY tuggy, so I only used that side for the easiest spots. It was like shaving with a bread knife. Then, halfway through the second pass, it mysteriously got better again. Not sure what to make of that. A rough shave all the way through. But, in the end again, a close shave with no irritation to speak of.

Analysis: This is the only blade so far that hasn't been pleasant to shave with in this particular razor. I shudder to think what it would be like in a different razor. I won't be ordering any, that's for sure. I'm not even sure I'll use the other two I have on hand. Worst blade I've used thus far.

I know I'm committing heresy here, but after trying at least a dozen blades, my worst blade is the beloved voskhod. It tugs at me like a needy 2 year old.

For some reason, I picked up some generic grocery store, white plain box DE blades just because I was surprised to find them there and they were $2. Yeah...I got a $2 box of blades. Should have shaved with my Dremel. I put a piece of tape on one end of the rest and scraped paint off my window panes. They barely accomplished the task...but I lived to tell the tale.

Top Bottom