What's new

The Worst Blade

If you're looking for a blade that'll rough up your face and call you, Sally, may I suggest giving these a try with a razor that has a good amount of blade exposure:

proxy.php

My dislike for those blades aside, blade preference is highly individual. I would think that the finer your beard, the more accommodating most any blade will be, which is to say, younger men, or men with finer beards will find they can get great shaves from a blade that would be a poor performer for men with thicker, coarser beards.

Oh, I also found a five pack of Derby's I forgot about and haven't tried. I've been trying to extend blade life recently, because I think it takes good technique to do that, and now I'm wondering if getting a good shave with a less than top-tier blade might also be a good way to benchmark improvement. Derby's aren't getting much love here, so I'm definitely going to try those next, followed by the Bics.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be masochistic. If the blades are super rough and cause me a lot of discomfort, I won't use the same blade again, but if it feels like they might just need a special "touch," I might try pushing to two shaves and up. And who knows, I might end up really liking them.

Derby. I did take one swipe with some blade that came with a Rei Mi razor and knee enough to toss it since it felt like the tug of a Derby. Doesn't matter which razor it is in, Derbys just don't cut my whiskers.

Bic Chrome Platinum - I have never had a blade tug at my whiskers as bad as this one. I stopped after two attempted swipes and changed to a different blade.

My worst by far has been the Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades. You may just be lucky and have tried each blade paired with the right razor for your skin/technique. I did find that my worst blade was more tolerable with one razor, even though it was terrible in three others.

You guys have no idea just how good all of those blades mentioned are until you try a Chinese Flying Eagle blade. By far hands down the absolute worst blade I've ever tried. This blade truly sucks and I have no idea why they are even made. It's a completely unusable blade. It's the only blade I've found so far that I couldn't complete a shave with.

It is just sharp enough to actually catch the hair but not sharp enough to cut through it. This gives it the unique quality of being able to catch the hair enough so that it can be pulled out root and all. After the first pass I switched to another blade to actually cut all of the hair that the Flying Eagle blade didn't manage to pull out.

I put some in a pass around box and sent some to others as well and so far I know of nobody actually finishing a shave with one.

You guys have no idea just how good all of those blades mentioned are until you try a Chinese Flying Eagle blade. By far hands down the absolute worst blade I've ever tried. This blade truly sucks and I have no idea why they are even made. It's a completely unusable blade. It's the only blade I've found so far that I couldn't complete a shave with.

It is just sharp enough to actually catch the hair but not sharp enough to cut through it. This gives it the unique quality of being able to catch the hair enough so that it can be pulled out root and all. After the first pass I switched to another blade to actually cut all of the hair that the Flying Eagle blade didn't manage to pull out.

I put some in a pass around box and sent some to others as well and so far I know of nobody actually finishing a shave with one.[/QUOTE]

Remind me to never accept a gift from dfoulk!!!
He's a saboteur who intends to harm others it seems!
:bayrum2:

Not counting Merkur, which is a blade NO ONE should even try to use, my worst blade of all time is ......

Wait for it ...

Shark!

It's not the first shave that's so bad with Shark (for me), it's the second. The second shave with a Shark (which I've tried a few times, in case I got a dud) just brutally traumatizes my face. It's like shaving with a cheese grater. I respect everyone who can get good, comfortable shaves with this blade.

For me (though I'm just starting to go through a new blade sampler) the worst has been Shark. The first few strokes were smooth, but everything went downhill from there. By the time I was on my last pass it felt more like plucking than shaving.

Top Bottom