What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

I strikes me as at least as efficient as the SE1, maybe the SE2, but way more comfortable and manageable because of its balance, light weight, and ergonomics. Understand that exposure is adjustable since there are no blade stops. Unlike something like the Schick E2 or the aforementioned SE1/2 I can zip around my head with considerable abandon without fear of bloodletting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I strikes me as at least as efficient as the SE1, maybe the SE2, but way more comfortable and manageable because of its balance, light weight, and ergonomics. Understand that exposure is adjustable since there are no blade stops. Unlike something like the Schick E2 I can zip around my head with considerable abandon without fear of bloodletting.

Sounds like an awesome SE AC razor! :thumbup1:

Enders Speed was manufactured for quite a long time (1933-56ish) and no question is a brilliant design, both the blade locking mechanism and the ergonomic handle. It handles the Proline blade better than anything I've yet tried .

View attachment 980241View attachment 980242View attachment 980243

Wow it was produced for nearly 25 years. Thanks for the history lesson. I wonder how smooth the vintage would be compared to the Paradigm SE or compare with the Vector’s maneuvering?

Wow it was produced for nearly 25 years. Thanks for the history lesson. I wonder how smooth the vintage would be compared to the Paradigm SE or compare with the Vector’s maneuvering?
The Vector has the under the nose advantage (as does the Mark Cross), but otherwise the Enders is a pleasure in the handling department for me. I'm going to guess the Paradigm has a smoothness advantage from how tightly the blade is secured, but I would prefer the light weight Enders for my head shave. And of course if you pay more than $30 delivered for the Enders you overpaid.

Last edited:
THE GREAT CANADIAN SMACK DOWN: KARVE vs GAMECHANGER

So gang since Frank is away I’ll give my first shot at a Shave-Off and, of course, model it after the master. Looks like it will be a Canadian smack down from everyone’s favorite Canucks as I will be pitting the Karve against the RazoRock GameChanger.

KARVE: This Canadian artisan in Alberta makes the Christopher Bradley DE safety razor in solid brass with a bead blasted matte finish. There are multiple handle lengths (from 3 to 4 inches or 76 to 102 mm) and plates in various gaps (0.47 - 1.23 mm) available in both solid bar and open comb configurations. I will be using a solid bar D plate with a gap of 0.98 mm and an exposure of + 0.13 mm (I do not have a C plate of 0.85 mm and I thought my F plate would be too high at 1.23 mm). It will rest on a 3.5 inch or 91 mm handle weighing in at 103 g. I recently got the knurled Gladius style handle which only looks different from the original Guilloche style handle.

GameChanger: Italian Barber out of Ontario, Canada introduced the more aggressive 0.84 plate (and positive blade exposure not listed) in response to it’s prior successful 0.68 head. It’s a CNC machined 316 marine grade polished stainless steel DE razor. I no longer use the stainless radio knob handle but RazoRock’s polished Titanium Halo 90 mm handle weighing in at 74 g.

DE Blades: Polsilvers in each
Software used: WCS Silvertip torch brush with TOBS Grapefruit Shave Cream
Finishing up with: Ahava Men’s Soothing After-Shave Moisturizer

My best pre shave prep is a shower while my brush sits in a hot cup of water. Since its 50F (or 10C) and rainy here today I figured the TOBS Grapefruit would be a nice refreshing spring scent. And, yes the wife noticed and commented after the shave so I guess it was a good choice. Although I have tried many soaps typically I like the slick lather and prefer the citrus scents rather than tobacco or musks. I decided that new Polsilver DE blades would level the playing field as they work for me in most of my razors and are among my favorite 3 blades for both efficiency/sharpness and relative smoothness.

Pass 1 WTG: I split my face in half and used skin stretching only in my trouble areas of the chin and upper neck just below the jaw line. I figured the larger blade gap Karve D would go on the trickier side as one side has areas that tend to be thicker so that I can have a similar efficiency in the shave. Since this is a smoothness competition the efficiency of either DE is not as crucial - I should obtain similar face smoothness or BBS status on either side. Using the Karve D this heavy brass DE gave very audible feedback with its rigid securing of the blade. Under the jaw it mowed down my 24 hour beard without any difficulty or tugging. It was also nimble enough to attack the chin and upper lip area getting at the area under the nose without difficulty.

Onto the other side the GC 84 was equally efficient with less audible feedback. It was heard well just not as loud. It's glide hides its smoothness as one may not think it's actually cutting very much beard. Nevertheless there was plenty of stubble to rinse off between strokes. Italian Barber advertises its tight manufacturing tolerances and the blade is held securely without any chatter. The light weight and Ti Halo handle allowed it to get under the nose with easy cornering.

Pass 2 ATG: After another lathering and the stubble virtually all removed in the initial pass it was time to go ATG. The heavier Karve was still quite audible as it cleaned up the residual hairs. In my trickier under the jaw region it was still smooth getting rid of those pesky hairs and cleaned up the chin and upper lip without difficulty or blood letting.

Again the lighter GC 84 was quieter and more subtle in removing the left over stubble. It glided over the upper neck and at times I was unsure it was removing any extra hairs. But rinsing the lather there were plenty of cleanly cut strands circling down the sink. It easily cleaned up under the nose getting into those tight places.

Post Shave: I used warm water followed by Ahava Men’s Soothing After-Shave Moisturizer. If you have never used it, it really is soothing without using menthol, alcohol or having any odor. There is never any sting or greasy feeling. It may be pricey but your face will thank you. The final aspect was the wife which, as I stated earlier, commented in the positive unaware that I was comparing these razors.

SUMMARY: Both razors can give excellent shaves which I easily obtained. I typically prefer more efficient razors and will usually double shim my GC or use my Karve with the F plate (1.23 mm gap) so that my shave will last the day. Nevertheless these are both great razors which are available and affordable for less than $100 USD. You can’t go wrong with either for both a smooth and efficient shave but in this smack down of the Canucks I gotta give it to RazoRock’s GameChanger with its Halo Titanium handle.

SCORING SYSTEM:

Karve SB D Plate

1. Smoothness = 47
2. Efficiency = 18
3. Balance = 8
4. Maneuverability = 7
5. Glide = 7

Karve Total = 87

GameChanger 0.84 Plate & Ti Halo Handle

1. Smoothness = 49
2. Efficiency = 17.5
3. Balance = 8.5
4. Maneuverability = 8
5. Glide = 8

GameChanger Total = 91

APPEARANCES: Below you can see the set up of these Canucks and I applaud these companies. The Karve’s heavier brass is a looker and as far as I know the only modern solid DE produced at this price point which is easily obtainable. I understand there will be a stainless steel (likely matt finish) and aluminum versions with colours (yes, that's how it's spelled in Canada) coming soon. I for one would love a polished brass (maybe protected like ATT Windsor’s Copper DE) or even better a Titanium version in the future. I look forward to see how this artisan continues to evolve and provide us with his interpretation of the modern DE razor.

The RazoRock GameChanger’s head is very similar to some of the vintage Gillettes (i.e. Techs) and some of the more expensive moderns (i.e. Wolfman, Charcoal Goods). In its polished stainless it is also quite a looker and at its very affordable price (even with the polished Titanium handle - a true steal at less than $30) I dare say it may be a poor man’s Wolfie. The Italian Barber drops these often and sells out with the impression that hundreds if not thousands are now out in the wild. IMHO it really is a winning configuration for which I would love to see an even more aggressive blade gap in the future (as it has evolved from the Mamba 0.53 to GC 0.68 and now GC 0.84).

IMG_1081.jpg

Bottom line is that you cannot go wrong with either of these.

So gang since Frank is away I’ll give my first shot at a Shave-Off and, of course, model it after the master. Looks like it will be a Canadian smack down from everyone’s favorite Canucks as I will be pitting the Karve against the RazoRock GameChanger.

KARVE: This Canadian artisan in Alberta makes the Christopher Bradley DE safety razor in solid brass with a bead blasted matte finish. There are multiple handle lengths (from 3 to 4 inches or 76 to 102 mm) and plates in various gaps (0.47 - 1.23 mm) available in both solid bar and open comb configurations. I will be using a solid bar D plate with a gap of 0.98 mm and an exposure of + 0.13 mm (I do not have a C plate of 0.85 mm and I thought my F plate would be too high at 1.23 mm). It will rest on a 3.5 inch or 91 mm handle weighing in at 103 g. I recently got the knurled Gladius style handle which only looks different from the original Guilloche style handle.

GameChanger: Italian Barber out of Ontario, Canada introduced the more aggressive 0.84 plate (and positive blade exposure not listed) in response to it’s prior successful 0.68 head. It’s a CNC machined 316 marine grade polished stainless steel DE razor. I no longer use the stainless radio knob handle but RazoRock’s polished Titanium Halo 90 mm handle weighing in at 74 g.

My best pre shave prep is a shower while my brush sits in a hot cup of water. Since its 50F (or 10C) and rainy here today I figured the TOBS Grapefruit would be a nice refreshing spring scent. And, yes the wife noticed and commented after the shave so I guess it was a good choice. Although I have tried many soaps typically I like the slick lather and prefer the citrus scents rather than tobacco or musks. I decided that new Polsilver DE blades would level the playing field as they work for me in most of my razors and are among my favorite 3 blades for both efficiency/sharpness and relative smoothness.

Pass 1 WTG: I split my face in half and used skin stretching only in my trouble areas of the chin and upper neck just below the jaw line. I figured the larger blade gap Karve D would go on the trickier side as one side has areas that tend to be thicker so that I can have a similar efficiency in the shave. Since this is a smoothness competition the efficiency of either DE is not as crucial - I should obtain similar face smoothness or BBS status on either side. Using the Karve D this heavy brass DE gave very audible feedback with its rigid securing of the blade. Under the jaw it mowed down my 24 hour beard without any difficulty or tugging. It was also nimble enough to attack the chin and upper lip area getting at the area under the nose without difficulty.

Onto the other side the GC 84 was equally efficient with less audible feedback. It was heard well just not as loud. It's glide hides its smoothness as one may not think it's actually cutting very much beard. Nevertheless there was plenty of stubble to rinse off between strokes. Italian Barber advertises its tight manufacturing tolerances and the blade is held securely without any chatter. The light weight and Ti Halo handle allowed it to get under the nose with easy cornering.

Pass 2 ATG: After another lathering and the stubble virtually all removed in the initial pass it was time to go ATG. The heavier Karve was still quite audible as it cleaned up the residual hairs. In my trickier under the jaw region it was still smooth getting rid of those pesky hairs and cleaned up the chin and upper lip without difficulty or blood letting.

Again the lighter GC 84 was quieter and more subtle in removing the left over stubble. It glided over the upper neck and at times I was unsure it was removing any extra hairs. But rinsing the lather there were plenty of cleanly cut strands circling down the sink. It easily cleaned up under the nose getting into those tight places.

Post Shave: I used warm water followed by Ahava Men’s Soothing After-Shave Moisturizer. If you have never used it, it really is soothing without using menthol, alcohol or having any odor. There is never any sting or greasy feeling. It may be pricey but your face will thank you. The final aspect was the wife which, as I stated earlier, commented in the positive unaware that I was comparing these razors.

SUMMARY: Both razors can give excellent shaves which I easily obtained. I typically prefer more efficient razors and will usually double shim my GC or use my Karve with the F plate (1.23 mm gap) so that my shave will last the day. Nevertheless these are both great razors which are available and affordable for less than $100 USD. You can’t go wrong with either for both a smooth and efficient shave but in this smack down of the Canucks I gotta give it to RazoRock’s GameChanger with its Halo Titanium handle.

SCORING SYSTEM:

Karve SB D Plate

1. Smoothness = 47
2. Efficiency = 18
3. Balance = 8
4. Maneuverability = 7
5. Glide = 7

Karve Total = 87

1. Smoothness = 49
2. Efficiency = 17.5
3. Balance = 8.5
4. Maneuverability = 8
5. Glide = 8

GameChanger Total = 91

APPEARANCES: Below you can see the set up of these Canucks and I applaud these companies. The Karve’s heavier brass is a looker and as far as I know the only modern solid DE produced at this price point which is easily obtainable. I understand there will be a stainless steel (likely matt finish) and aluminum versions with colours (yes, that's how it's spelled in Canada) coming soon. I for one would love a polished brass (maybe protected like ATT Windsor’s Copper DE) or even better a Titanium version in the future. I look forward to see how this artisan continues to evolve and provide us with his interpretation of the modern DE razor.

The RazoRock GameChanger’s head is very similar to some of the vintage Gillettes (i.e. Techs) and some of the more expensive moderns (i.e. Wolfman, Charcoal Goods). In its polished stainless it is also quite a looker and at its very affordable price (even with the polished Titanium handle - a true steal at less than $30) I dare say it may be a poor man’s Wolfie. The Italian Barber drops these often and sells out with the impression that hundreds if not thousands are now out in the wild. IMHO it really is a winning configuration for which I would love to see an even more aggressive blade gap in the future (as it has evolved from the Mamba 0.53 to GC 0.68 and now GC 0.84).

View attachment 980262

Wow! AJ if this was your first Shave Off brother you nailed it!! I really enjoyed reading it so Great job!!

I have the Karve and the GC in my den ready to use in the Shave Off but you did such a great job I should make sure not to pair them together as you did a great job of explaining about both razors!

Thanks again for filling in for me while I’m gone. :a14:

Thanks Frank. I guess I picked up some skills reading your 4000+ thread. It certainly took some time and I appreciate your hard work even more now that I attempted a shave-off. Now about that other Canadian Titanium razor ....

SCORING SYSTEM:

Karve SB D Plate

1. Smoothness = 47
2. Efficiency = 18
3. Balance = 8
4. Maneuverability = 7
5. Glide = 7

Karve Total = 87

1. Smoothness = 49
2. Efficiency = 17.5
3. Balance = 8.5
4. Maneuverability = 8
5. Glide = 8

GameChanger Total = 91

View attachment 980262

That was a great shave off AJ. I very much enjoyed reading it. I can't remember for sure but I think I did this same shave off and it was the same for me. I also prefer the GC with a titanium handle but mine is a stork aristocrat handle that I love.
Happy shaves
SMURF

Excellent job AJ and I have had similar results keeping the GC and selling off the Karve. The Karve is a beautiful razor and at a great price point but it just couldn’t knock out my regulars and I agree the GC is a good interpretation of a poor mans Wolfman

My own Gamechanger smackdown...vs the Proline equipped Enders Speed. While the Gamechanger did fine on the beard, it was completely humiliated by the efficiency and ease of the Enders-Proline on the head shave. I'm not sure the Shake Sharp stands a better chance but will try that tomorrow.View attachment 980164

That is a unique and cool looking razor, thanks for sharing. I also liked reading about the history of the Enders razor.
Happy shaves
SMURF

@smurfups77 @Shavemd Thanks for the support. It is interesting that although we never traded opinions we all came to the same independent conclusions regarding the GC vs Karve and two of us preferred a Titanium handle with the GC. Hopefully the artisans read these threads and take notes of our positive and negative experiences with their products as we can all benefit accordingly.

SCORING SYSTEM:

Karve SB D Plate

1. Smoothness = 47
2. Efficiency = 18
3. Balance = 8
4. Maneuverability = 7
5. Glide = 7

Karve Total = 87

1. Smoothness = 49
2. Efficiency = 17.5
3. Balance = 8.5
4. Maneuverability = 8
5. Glide = 8

GameChanger Total = 91

View attachment 980262

Absolutely great writeup, AJ! As a Canuck, it's great to see the Canadian folks producing great razors. The Gamechanger is on my list to try for sure!

Absolutely great writeup, AJ! As a Canuck, it's great to see the Canadian folks producing great razors. The Gamechanger is on my list to try for sure!

There are several top notch Canadian razor producing companies to be proud of (in alphabetical order) including Fendrihan (I think they are), Italian Barber (RazoRock), Karve & Wolfman. Given that its population and economy is 1/10 that of it's southern US brothers it's quite an accomplishment. Although the US can boost more than 4 artisan/razor companies I doubt there are 40 (or 10 times that of the Canadians). So beyond producing hockey players, maple syrup, petroleum, wheat and a tremendous amount of natural resources we can add DE razors ... who knew eh ! :a14:

I started following Frank back during the Aristocrat shaveoff (which led to my purchase of a 1st gen #15) and have kept in touch with him ever since. I greatly appreciate the time and passion he puts into helping folks in the wet shaving community, so when we get a chance to do a favor for him, I do so happily. I did a shaveoff with that 15 vs an RFB back when Frank was working some health issues, and I offer up another shaveoff while Frank is lending his talents elsewhere.

This shaveoff is all about efficiency. Before I get into the details, I’ve got to make this one a tribute to another great person I’ve met from these forums. I can safely say I wouldn’t have a chance to shave with either of these razors if it weren’t for his generosity and I count myself lucky to know him. A huge thanks to my friend @loot !

Gear used:
GD unscented preshave
GD Barbershop
Paladin Butterscotch Chief
Wolfman Ti 0.94WR1 SB
Charcoal Goods antique brass Level 3 DC (used SB only)
Polsilver SI blades
B&M Cool aftershave
GD rejuvenating serum unscented

I went with a two pass shave, WTG and ATG. I had 3 days growth...which both of these razors laughed at. First pass WTG, started with the CG. Tremendous efficiency, very smooth, and just a great razor to hold. CG is a standout to me among the modern razors. Switched sides and went to the WR1. Noticeably lighter in its Ti form, the WR1 was also tremendously efficient, very smooth, and exudes excellence. At the end of the first pass, I’d say too close to call between these two heavyweights.

2nd pass ATG, the CG offered comfortable, but very present blade feel. The efficiency shines on the ATG pass, with no stubble left to be found after this pass. I find the CG L3 reminding me of an R41, just much smoother. Yet as good as it is, the WR1 really shines on the ATG pass. The efficiency is still there, but so is the smoothness...incredible smoothness for such an efficient razor. Blade feel is there, but more comfortable. The blade rigidity is noticeable and the Ti Wolf is incredibly maneuverable.

So as you’ve likely surmised, I have to give this shaveoff to the WR1. For me, it simply does everything just a little bit better than any other razor out there. Fit/finish, efficiency/smoothness, maneuverability, the list goes on. That’s certainly not a knock against the CG - it is a fantastic razor and holds a special place in my den, but the WR1 gave a slightly smoother, more comfortable shave, with the difference showing primarily on the ATG pass. Both razors are tough to acquire, though the CG has the advantage there. If you want to bring your den instantly into the top tier, the CG is a perfect solution. Hunting the Wolfman can be maddening. The commitment is likely measured in months if not years. But in my mind, with my experience, it’s totally worth it. It’s not hype, it’s simply that good.

CE614D87-71B9-4B77-879E-889722AF5707.jpeg
C081467F-0C9A-4540-8BE0-B3B80C50C86E.jpeg

@Glock Great insights into these super razors especially when pitted against one another. I may not have them in my den but IMHO that antiqued brass CG with the hammered handle is a sight and is even better looking than the SS Wolfie irrespective of the small differences in shaving experience.

I started following Frank back during the Aristocrat shaveoff (which led to my purchase of a 1st gen #15) and have kept in touch with him ever since. I greatly appreciate the time and passion he puts into helping folks in the wet shaving community, so when we get a chance to do a favor for him, I do so happily. I did a shaveoff with that 15 vs an RFB back when Frank was working some health issues, and I offer up another shaveoff while Frank is lending his talents elsewhere.

This shaveoff is all about efficiency. Before I get into the details, I’ve got to make this one a tribute to another great person I’ve met from these forums. I can safely say I wouldn’t have a chance to shave with either of these razors if it weren’t for his generosity and I count myself lucky to know him. A huge thanks to my friend @loot !

Gear used:
GD unscented preshave
GD Barbershop
Paladin Butterscotch Chief
Wolfman Ti 0.94WR1 SB
Charcoal Goods antique brass Level 3 DC (used SB only)
Polsilver SI blades
B&M Cool aftershave
GD rejuvenating serum unscented

I went with a two pass shave, WTG and ATG. I had 3 days growth...which both of these razors laughed at. First pass WTG, started with the CG. Tremendous efficiency, very smooth, and just a great razor to hold. CG is a standout to me among the modern razors. Switched sides and went to the WR1. Noticeably lighter in its Ti form, the WR1 was also tremendously efficient, very smooth, and exudes excellence. At the end of the first pass, I’d say too close to call between these two heavyweights.

2nd pass ATG, the CG offered comfortable, but very present blade feel. The efficiency shines on the ATG pass, with no stubble left to be found after this pass. I find the CG L3 reminding me of an R41, just much smoother. Yet as good as it is, the WR1 really shines on the ATG pass. The efficiency is still there, but so is the smoothness...incredible smoothness for such an efficient razor. Blade feel is there, but more comfortable. The blade rigidity is noticeable and the Ti Wolf is incredibly maneuverable.

So as you’ve likely surmised, I have to give this shaveoff to the WR1. For me, it simply does everything just a little bit better than any other razor out there. Fit/finish, efficiency/smoothness, maneuverability, the list goes on. That’s certainly not a knock against the CG - it is a fantastic razor and holds a special place in my den, but the WR1 gave a slightly smoother, more comfortable shave, with the difference showing primarily on the ATG pass. Both razors are tough to acquire, though the CG has the advantage there. If you want to bring your den instantly into the top tier, the CG is a perfect solution. Hunting the Wolfman can be maddening. The commitment is likely measured in months if not years. But in my mind, with my experience, it’s totally worth it. It’s not hype, it’s simply that good.

View attachment 980843 View attachment 980844

Great write up. Two razors I have wanted to try. I really have to try a higher gapped WR1. Thanks again for this write up!

proxy.php

Thank you kindly for a fabulous write-up...everything I look for in a review: clarity, brevity and doggedly sticking to the subject in hand. Five Stars.

I recently sold my newly acquired Level 3 SB plate as I think I want something smoother, and you have put some ideas in my head.

Loot reckons the Lvl 3 is about even in efficiency to the 0.86, so I would assume the 0.94 must also be more efficient than the LVl3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom