What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

17-4 vs RS-10 is an interesting shave off matchup.

I like the RS-10 design better and shaving with it but 17-4 gives me better results (and better results than just about anything else except BB which has its own issues).

I think that having split the shave-off into two categories is the right call. There's definitely a difference in how I evaluate a razor and its ultimate results. For me efficiency = results and it's less about how far I can push it than I reach my minimum threshold for results and past that I start to care about other things.

between the two the RS-10 wins for me, but that's an overall gestalt of the razor thing. Ive said it before but I really mean it; I love the handle on the RS-10.

17-4 vs RS-10 is an interesting shave off matchup.

I like the RS-10 design better and shaving with it but 17-4 gives me better results (and better results than just about anything else except BB which has its own issues).

I think that having split the shave-off into two categories is the right call. There's definitely a difference in how I evaluate a razor and its ultimate results. For me efficiency = results and it's less about how far I can push it than I reach my minimum threshold for results and past that I start to care about other things.

between the two the RS-10 wins for me, but that's an overall gestalt of the razor thing. Ive said it before but I really mean it; I love the handle on the RS-10.
Thanks for your input my friend and interesting as well. For me the RS 10 with what they call the aggressive plate is a little more efficient and it may be smoother. I'd have to do the side by side to confirm my thoughts based on individual shaves with both. Like I mentioned the BB falls behind the other two in smoothness and on the ATG pass but still a great shaver and it's no surprise that many like yourself really like it.

Thanks for the input! :a14:

Update:

Hello Gentlemen

So I thought it best to let you know I have to take about 10 days off for a special Shave Off and review of a razor I was sent to compare to another razor that has not yet been released to the public for sale as of now. I'll be doing the Shave Off on another site and the reason is I’ve consulted with a B&B moderator as I wasn’t sure if using a pre production razor on here was ok or against the rules and I’m very glad I did that because it is not allowed on here according to the site rules, which I completely understand and respect! This thread has been a labor of love for me and I’m glad I contacted the mods about doing the Shave Off instead of just doing it and then finding out it was against the rules and having this thread shut down or loosing my membership. Rules are rules and they are put in place for a reason, which again I highly respect.

I’d also felt I needed to make you all aware of why I won’t be back on here with a Shave Off until I finish with that one which like I said will probably take me between 9 to 10 days. After that I will be back and resume where I left off.

Also I know many of you are on multiple shaving forums so it was inevitable that some of you would see the Shave Off and maybe come back on here and start making comments about it in this thread. Please don’t!

I would very much appreciate the subject not being discussed on here at all starting right now and during the Shave Off I’m doing on the other site as I don’t want to take any chances with messing up this thread or taking a chance of having it shut down because of comments made that may be inappropriate or against forum rules. That’s why I’m asking for no comments to be made in response to this announcement! It’s not necessary and again let's not take any chances of breaking the forum rules as you could also find yourself in trouble as well if your comments break the rules. Also please do not to post comments on here while or after I do that Shave Off and when I’m back on here! Those belong elsewhere and if the razor becomes available to the public in the future well then we can take it from there but for now mum it the word. If you have comments then please make them on the other site in the thread. I hope you can all respect my wishes and requests. I’m sure some of you will be over there and I’ll enjoy interacting with you like I always have just can't and will not on here. Again no need for responses to what I’ve just written above please!

I’ve worked really hard to keep this thread both drama free and to avoid any heated debates or discussions amongst members I would like to keep it that way while I'm gone and again I hope you can all understand, respect and basically protect this thread in my absence by keeping it free of drama, controversy or heated debates and discussions.

Ok so that’s is all I’m going to say on the subject so let’s move on to more important business.

I do welcome responses and comments on the subject below so feel free!

So in my absence I encourage anyone who would like to post a Shave Off of his own to go for it. While I’m gone I’ll be checking in probably every day and I’d really like to see some really cool Shave Offs with both modern and vintage razors. It will be good reading for all and I really like to read about others experiences with various razors I’ve shaved with or also read about razors I’ve never shaved with. So guys please feel free to go for it guys and lets see some creative Shave Offs posted in here in the next 9 to 10 days!

Upon my return I’ll just jump in where I left off with the “ Smoothest Shave Off “

Also I’ll update the list of razors that are still in the " Smoothest Shave Off and the ones that either have been eliminated or have moved on to the next round in the next few hours.

I thank you all for your support in this thread!

Great shaves my friends!

DB

Last edited:
Thank you Frank.

I look forward to seeing some shave offs by some of the other guys who are participating in this thread. I might do one myself but I don't have very many razors to choose from. If someone has a Timeless 95 and a Gibbs, I would love to read about that shave off.
Happy shaves
Jason

Thank you Frank.

I look forward to seeing some shave offs by some of the other guys who are participating in this thread. I might do one myself but I don't have very many razors to choose from. If someone has a Timeless 95 and a Gibbs, I would love to read about that shave off.
Happy shaves
Jason

I forgot to mention that I would prefer the Timeless to be titanium.

Good idea Jason

I'd like to see how a Timeless .95 Ti would compare to a Gibbs and if my Gibbs wasn't in my Shave Off I could ship it out to you as you have that smooth shaving Timeless Ti... um I may have to give that some thought and I may have time to ship it out to you for a Shave Off.

I'll touch base tomorrow

Thanks my friend!

That sounds good Frank, I would like to try a Gibbs out that is in good working order. If you recall the one I got was not in good shape and would not come apart so I had to get my money back. Talk to you soon.
Happy shaves
Jason

That sounds good Frank, I would like to try a Gibbs out that is in good working order. If you recall the one I got was not in good shape and would not come apart so I had to get my money back. Talk to you soon.
Happy shaves
Jason

Jason, I have a few and could ship you one to try. I even have a few of Claudio's handle options. Let me know what you want to try.

@sharp
Jason, I have a few and could ship you one to try. I even have a few of Claudio's handle options. Let me know what you want to try.

Jared to the rescue!!
You’re the best my friend and yes for me send one to Jason so he can do a Shave Off on here. Also call me if you get a chance I have some things to go over with you on your razors and brushes you sent me.

:thumbup1:

Yes the Karve E or F plate vs Gamechanger
84 please!
Ok then an all Canadian smack down with Alberta based Karve vs Ontario based (Italian Barber) Razorock GameChanger. I do think the KarveD SB 0.98 vs GC 0.84 would be fairer as the F plate has a 1.23 gap (I don’t have C or E plates)

My own Gamechanger smackdown...vs the Proline equipped Enders Speed. While the Gamechanger did fine on the beard, it was completely humiliated by the efficiency and ease of the Enders-Proline on the head shave. I'm not sure the Shake Sharp stands a better chance but will try that tomorrow.
IMG_20190512_093603-01.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ok then an all Canadian smack down with Alberta based Karve vs Ontario based (Italian Barber) Razorock GameChanger. I do think the KarveD SB 0.98 vs GC 0.84 would be fairer as the F plate has a 1.23 gap (I don’t have C or E plates)

I think that sounds good AJ. The Canadian Smackdown is a good name. I look forward to reading your report.
Happy shaves
SMURF

My own Gamechanger smackdown...vs the Proline equipped Enders Speed. While the Gamechanger did fine on the beard, it was completely humiliated by the efficiency and ease of the Enders-Proline on the head shave. I'm not sure the Shake Sharp stands a better chance but will try that tomorrow.View attachment 980164

Scott thanks for doing the Shave Off. I don't know where you come up with all these razors I've never heard of but they all seem to be very efficient razors and you know I like efficiency! That Enders handle shape looks kind of like the Paradigm SE handle only it looks like bakelite and not metal.

:a14:

Scott thanks for doing the Shave Off. I don't know where you come up with all these razors I've never heard of but they all seem to be very efficient razors and you know I like efficiency! That Enders handle shape looks kind of like the Paradigm SE handle only it looks like bakelite and not metal.

:a14:
Enders Speed was manufactured for quite a long time (1933-56ish) and no question is a brilliant design, both the blade locking mechanism and the ergonomic handle. It handles the Proline blade better than anything I've yet tried .

IMG_20190512_112016-01.jpg
The_Waco_News_Tribune_Tue__Nov_14__1933_.jpg
Screenshot_20190512-131603.jpg

Enders Speed was manufactured for quite a long time (1933-56ish) and no question is a brilliant design, both the blade locking mechanism and the ergonomic handle. It handles the Proline blade better than anything I've yet tried .

View attachment 980241View attachment 980242View attachment 980243

Wow that is a cool razor and the Proline is my favorite SE blade. How would it compare in efficiency to lets say a Asylum RX, Cobra Classic or a ATT SE 1? just curious my friend.

Top Bottom