What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

As far as match ups. I'd like to see the Timeless 0.68 go up against the Razorock Game Changer 0.68. I think it would be fair for one of those 2 to eliminate the other.

This or the Karve vs one of the Razorocks would be of interest, especially the Gamechanger as these two somewhat battle for the same clientele.

The Karve vs a similar style vintage razor would also be of interest if you were looking to move in another direction.

I was kind of thinking similarly priced razors, with possibly comparable blade gaps, as a matchup. Just wondering if there's some razors that can move up and compete against a more expensive razor then in the same Gap.

CG Level 2 vs Karve D

sorry guys, selfishness here. Im a big fan of CG and have been on the fence about Karve.

alternatively, CG Level 2 vs RS-10 Mild; both are more efficient than their blade feel suggests. I can't decide which I like better between my own copies of each.

+1! That would be a good match-up!! :a11::a11:

@Sharp_Obsession I am trying to think primarily about smoothness with efficiency taking a back seat. The RS10 using the aggressive plate may be close on efficiency to CG2 but could be smoother than CG2. I am not clear and thus hedging my bets.

my testing of my own razors:

"smoothness" (to me this equates to lack of blade feel):
paradigm 17-4 > rs-10 aggressive > CG LVL2 > woflman wr2 .95 > timeless .95 OC > blackbird

how close I can shave with it (NOT efficiency, just how my results are):
timeless > blackbird > paradigm > CG LVL 2 > rs-10 > wolfman

for me every razor gets me a shave that is well above my necessary level of closeness, but for me the Paradigm and RS-10 have too little blade feel. I've said it before but the Timeless is my favorite. I dont know why but despite being a relative newcomer to wet-shaving (been doing it since I wanna say 2014? 2015?) and having only really put the time into upping my game from my little iKon setup recently, I instantly gravitated towards relatively high blade feel razors.

maybe I should do straights :thinking:

Last edited:
my testing of my own razors:

"smoothness" (to me this equates to lack of blade feel):
paradigm 17-4 > rs-10 aggressive > CG LVL2 > woflman wr2 .95 > timeless .95 OC > blackbird

how close I can shave with it (NOT efficiency, just how my results are):
timeless > blackbird > paradigm > CG LVL 2 > rs-10 > wolfman

for me every razor gets me a shave that is well above my necessary level of closeness, but for me the Paradigm and RS-10 have too little blade feel. I've said it before but the Timeless is my favorite. I dont know why but despite being a relative newcomer to wet-shaving (been doing it since I wanna say 2014? 2015?) and having only really put the time into upping my game from my little iKon setup recently, I instantly gravitated towards relatively high blade feel razors.

maybe I should do straights :thinking:

Get yourself a Ikon Tech or look for a Muhle 2011 R41 if your looking for more blade feel or upgrade to a Level 3 OC Charcoal goods razor. Those are 3 that come to my head that are around. Wolfman razors have plenty to in the high gaps but they are hard to get. STR8 razor is a completely different kind of blade feel.

Get yourself a Ikon Tech or look for a Muhle 2011 R41 if your looking for more blade feel or upgrade to a Level 3 OC Charcoal goods razor. Those are 3 that come to my head that are around. Wolfman razors have plenty to in the high gaps but they are hard to get. STR8 razor is a completely different kind of blade feel.

Ive got a level 3 on order in brass (and in my weakness I went ahead and ordered another level 2 baseplate).

I instantly gravitated towards relatively high blade feel razors.
I know this thread isn't about modified razors, barring the occasional handle swaps. But if you're really into blade feel, and aren't too much of a cap rider, try out a "No Guard."

Here's mine which has a post war Gillette Tech head with the guards ground/filed off the baseplate:
upload_2019-5-19_20-14-3.png
:001_wub:

Hey Frank, I have no hijacking intentions. Only playing. :letterk1: :laugh:

I know this thread isn't about modified razors, barring the occasional handle swaps. But if you're really into blade feel, and aren't too much of a cap rider, try out a "No Guard."

Here's mine which has a post war Gillette Tech head with the guards ground/filed off the baseplate:
View attachment 982015 :001_wub:

Like @Shavemd said. Thats some blade feel I'd imagine! :a14:

Ive got a level 3 on order in brass (and in my weakness I went ahead and ordered another level 2 baseplate).

I feel your pain. I’ve got two CG L3s in my den, one OC and one SB, one in antique and one in bright. Yesterday I ordered another, identical to my OC in antique, except this time I got the bright brass version. Do you think the two OCs will shave differently? Me neither.

Yup me too as I just ordered a cap for my other CG baseplate to have 2 complete CG razors. Since I just got them 4-6 weeks ago they have quickly broken into my rotation and are among my top 3-4 now. Looking forward to his copper release and new stuff.... and the CG love fest continues

View attachment 982015 :001_wub:

I never understood these other than it was something to try. Why not just use a straight or shavette ?

I never understood these other than it was something to try. Why not just use a straight or shavette?
:laugh: It makes life A LOT easier with the handle being at 90° to the blade edge (rather than in line with it), for me anyway. One less learning curve. :wink2:

Last edited:
I feel your pain. I’ve got two CG L3s in my den, one OC and one SB, one in antique and one in bright. Yesterday I ordered another, identical to my OC in antique, except this time I got the bright brass version. Do you think the two OCs will shave differently? Me neither.

+1! Me neither. But if it makes you happy then GOOD MOVE!! :a14::a14:

UPDATE: Next Shave Off

Gillette Fatboy vs Gibbs adjustable

Well it’s good to be back and I thought for my first Shave Off for the “ Smoothed Razor “ I’d get the adjustable category out of the way. As you remember the last 2 remaining razors in each category move on into the last group so whichever razor wins this match up moves on along with the Toggle into the one remaining group. This way we have only 2 groups left. Those that are still in play and those that have been eliminated.

I’ll be doing the Shave Off tomorrow morning
( Wednesday) and I’ll report it when I get home from work.

Also like to thank all the members who filled in for me in my absence and also to all of you following this thread for your patience! It’s very much appreciated!

Great Shaves Gents!

DB

UPDATE: Next Shave Off

Gillette Fatboy vs Gibbs adjustable

Well it’s good to be back and I thought for my first Shave Off for the “ Smoothed Razor “ I’d get the adjustable category out of the way. As you remember the last 2 remaining razors in each category move on into the last group so whichever razor wins this match up moves on along with the Toggle into the one remaining group. This way we have only 2 groups left. Those that are still in play and those that have been eliminated.

I’ll be doing the Shave Off tomorrow morning
( Wednesday) and I’ll report it when I get home from work.

Also like to thank all the members who filled in for me in my absence and also to all of you following this thread for your patience! It’s very much appreciated!

Great Shaves Gents!

DB

Look forward to the results!! :a21::a21:

Top Bottom