What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

I'm glad to see the Blackbird SB moved into this category. With its smallish .58mm gap it is going to have a hard time keeping up with some of the others, 80DC, 17-4, etc. The blade forward design should allow it to hold it's own pretty well.

Keep up the good work my friend. You are finally getting into a group of razors I have experience with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CG vs BB will be a close one. My B.B. Solid bar is from the Kickstarter so it has some sharp edges. Really want to see how your B.B. does against the CG 2

I agree Loot--1 of them has to lose but it is a tossup which I think will be close and fun.
I am a little concerned because Frankie has never shaved with the BB. If he finds the sweet spot, I think the BB will win.

CG vs BB will be a close one. My B.B. Solid bar is from the Kickstarter so it has some sharp edges. Really want to see how your B.B. does against the CG 2
Although I like super efficient razors, the CG2 is my favorite. The L3 starts getting a little harsh.

Ok I’ll use Feather blades in both as my beard is a bit overgrown.

I’m actually very excited and looking forward to shaving with the much loved by many BB.
You know me I’ll call it as I see it. Although the Level 2 is a very familiar razor trust me I’ll find the sweet spot on the BB and give you my unbiased review.

Thanks all for your comments and support!

DB

Just out of curiosity. How did you come to choose the BB SB instead of the BB OC?

Also excited to see this matchup because I have two BB’s and want to get a Charcoal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello sir and welcome to the thread. The BB SB was put in the “ Efficient category “ and the OC BB is in the upcoming “ Very Efficient category “ so that’s the how and why.
I can say from shaving with all the Levels of Charcoal Goods razors you can go wrong with any of them. Just pick your preferred efficiency level and there’s one that I’m certain will fill your needs. They are also in my humble opinion beautifully manufactured razors by Brian who also is a great guy who is passionate about his razors and gives great customer service. Hopefully my review will give you a good idea of what their like to shave with.
Thanks again for your input! :thumbsup:

Perfect explanation. As I have both The SB and OC.

After getting them I sold off my 2 Traderes. They just couldn’t compare.

I am on the wait list for the CG. They are gorgeous. I will probably get one regardless of the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Say it ain't so Frankie! No love for the BB. I'm crushed as it is one of my favorites. I've never had it skip or chatter or it would be gone. Interesting. Very interesting.

I do have the bright copper (it was) L2 SB and gotta say, it is a very nice shaver.

Who is up next?

I haven’t tried a CG L2 or a straight bar BB. But the L3 CG open comb in antique brass is my favorite razor, and the BB OC is not far behind! It will be interesting to hear how the L3 CG differs from the L2 SB, and how the BB SB differs from the open comb. Good stuff, Frank!

Thanks BigJ and it sure is in the books! :a17:

I can't wait to see if the OC version of the BB shaves completely different than the SB and also how it holds the blade.

James my friend it's not that I don't have any love for the BB I just was surprised as the lack of rigidity and I even did a comparison after this Shave Off and the CG held the blade more tightly but it's also not as tight as I like personally but I've always been able to get a good shave out of the CG razors no matter what level. The BB razor was very nice on the WTG pass but it was on the ATG pass were it started to chatter and it skipped a bit on my cowlick. Also I was on 3 days growth which is one day longer than I normally go so I'm sure that added to the chatter. Even with the issues it still gave me a good shave my friend but in this case it was just slightly outdone by the CG which I believe is just a tad and I mean a tad more efficient. So very close. Oh and it was not because I haven't shaved with it before as I found the angle immediately as it was very easy to find. It also felt good in my hand so no other issues at all. I can't wait to try the OC baseplate on the BB..

Next up.. um I'm not sure. Gotta go over the list and of course I love to hear some suggestions for the next shave off all the folks following this thread.

An thank you my friend for sending me this and other razors for this Shave Off. :a14:

Maybe go ahead and run the OC later in this round. If the BB SB is close to a L2 in efficiency (I agree it is), I can tell you the OC plate will not be able to compete, at all, with L3, .80+ gap WR1's, 2011 R41, etc. No? Asking it to ensure another first round loss. Hopefully, the OC plate will perform better for you. Just my .02 my friend.

Getting your opinion on some of my gear has been fun. You've already bought 2 of the ones I sent...so it's been well worth the effort.

Blackland lists both at .58mm. Clearly Blackbird gets its aggressive feel more from exposure than gap.
You may have point but I’ve read from others the OC is a bear! Do you know what the blade gap on the BB OC is?
You have a Timeless 95 SB so how do you think it can compares to the BB OC?

Yes you and Mark have been bad influences in my wallet lol

Frank that's another good shave off. The lack of rigidity is the reason I want ever have the blackbird. As you know I only like ridged razors. Looking forward to the next battle.
Happy shaves
Jason

My friend you know we like a lot of the same razors so with that said I really like the CG L 2 OC but it’s not close to the CG L 3 OC in efficiency. I’ve not shaved with the BB OC but James wants me to put it in the Efficient category and based on what your saying about the OC BB it’s probably better left in the Very Efficient category where I already have it placed.

What’s your thoughts?

Frank, I would leave the BB OC in the “Very Efficient” category, but that’s just me. I put this razor in the same category as the Ikon Shavecraft Tech—very blade forward (more so than my R41 2011 or CG L3 OC, for example), and very efficient. Perhaps it’s my shaving angle, blade choice, or other factors, but the BB OC on my face is a truly efficient beast.

Top Bottom