What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

Another great shave off and detailed write up.

I am a bit surprised that the ATT was smoother than the Timeless. I would have guess ATT would win on efficiency but Timeless would be smoother. Is the ATT Copper have a wider base plate or what do you think makes it smoother?

As always, looking forward to the next round! :a18:

Hello my friend and thank you for the kind words!
I believe it is the baseplate that is the reason the Timeless Bronze goes from being a very smooth mildly efficient razor to a much more efficient razor with a lot more blade feel by changing to the OC baseplate. The gap difference between the two is substantial with the SB being a .38 to the .74 of the OC.
On the Copper the head design is different than other ATT DE offerings and like I mentioned I was actually quite surprised as it was much smoother than any ATT razor I have ever used. Think Timeless SS .68 smooth and that gives you an idea of how smooth the Copper Windsor is.

Thanks for your comments and input. As always it’s much appreciated!

DB

Another great shave off and detailed write up.

I am a bit surprised that the ATT was smoother than the Timeless. I would have guess ATT would win on efficiency but Timeless would be smoother. Is the ATT Copper have a wider base plate or what do you think makes it smoother?

As always, looking forward to the next round! :a18:
The top cap on the ATT Windsor Copper is wider in all directions and It has more blade rigidity and this, I believe, is what makes it so much smoother

Hello my friend and thank you for the kind words!
I believe it is the baseplate that is the reason the Timeless Bronze goes from being a very smooth mildly efficient razor to a much more efficient razor with a lot more blade feel by changing to the OC baseplate. The gap difference between the two is substantial with the SB being a .38 to the .74 of the OC.
On the Copper the head design is different than other ATT DE offerings and like I mentioned I was actually quite surprised as it was much smoother than any ATT razor I have ever used. Think Timeless SS .68 smooth and that gives you an idea of how smooth the Copper Windsor is.

Thanks for your comments and input. As always it’s much appreciated!

DB

The top cap on the ATT Windsor Copper is wider in all directions and It has more blade rigidity and this, I believe, is what makes it so much smoother

Thanks Gents! Much appreciated.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
upload_2018-8-31_11-53-47.gif

Another great shave off Frank. Good to see you back from your business trip. This category is going to be fun to watch. Have a great Friday.
Happy shaves
Jason

I think you’ve lost some followers perhaps since unless you have the resource you don’t own/use those razors.

Perhaps but as you know I’m doing this for fun and also to give those that either wonder what it’s like to shave with a lot of these razors who maybe are thinking about getting one and how it compares to a lot of other razors. Of course it’s just one persons point of view and shaving experience with the particular razor I’m using.
About 65 to 70% of the razors I’m using in the Shave Off’s are from my own personal collection and especially the vintage razors and a lot of the Efficient and Very Efficient categories.

By the number of pm’s I get either about a certain razor or the SSSST I’d say it’s dooing well and like I mentioned I’m having fun doing it amigo!
Thanks for the input!

Even though I do not have some of these razors, it is still interesting to read about them. Having one person compare the razors is a good baseline. I don't know how many times I have read a review of a razor with one person complaining how rough and aggressive it is and the next complaining about how mild it is. Anyway, I appreciate and enjoy the reviews.

I really appreciate this thread too. I ran through a bunch of less expensive razors, and now I'm starting to look at more expensive ones. It's awesome to hear consistent perspective on so many highly regarded razors.

Not that you would do this anytime soon, but for your next shave off maybe you could do the originals (or high end) vs the clones. I really enjoyed reading the Gibbs vs Rex.

A few ideas:
Ming Shi vs Futur
Game Changer .68 vs Wolfman .69
Post War Tech vs RR Teck II
Fasan vs PAA BOCS

I think you can probably come up with more/better ones than me. I'm sure the quality of fit/finish would be wildly different, but would the results?

Anyway, keep up the great writing! This is one of my favorite threads.

I think you’ve lost some followers perhaps since unless you have the resource you don’t own/use those razors.

Totally disagree with this post.Plenty of people have both the resources and these razors and this can help people decide which ones to get. I see a lot of people following this thread, more than any thread I have seen since I have been on this board since 2005 except for a few like the 3017 thread etc... YMMV.

Totally disagree with this post.Plenty of people have both the resources and these razors and this can help people decide which ones to get. I see a lot of people following this thread, more than any thread I have seen since I have been on this board since 2005 except for a few like the 3017 thread etc... YMMV.
Well, maybe. I mean no ill will.

Hey, we're all friends here. I didn't detect any malice in your post, for whatever my opinion counts.

This thread casts a pretty wide net, and includes a lot of razors from all over the spectrum. For my part, although I likely won't ever see a lot of the razors being compared, it's interesting to see how they compare with some of the ones with which I am familiar.

Perhaps it would be interesting for a future shave-off that compares only the best of the commonly available razors. Just a thought.

Its cool--Just be aware of how hard what Frank is doing. Even though I am sure he is enjoying it, it takes
a lot of work to do the detailed descriptions of these shaves. I am not sure too many people could do this as good as Frank does. On top of that it takes a lot of time away from his personal life I'm sure. I would love to shave with all these razors but there is no way I could eloquently describe the shaves as Frank does.

Hey, we're all friends here. I didn't detect any malice in your post, for whatever my opinion counts.

This thread casts a pretty wide net, and includes a lot of razors from all over the spectrum. For my part, although I likely won't ever see a lot of the razors being compared, it's interesting to see how they compare with some of the ones with which I am familiar.

Perhaps it would be interesting for a future shave-off that compares only the best of the commonly available razors. Just a thought.

Yes, perhaps SE versus De or
Slants.

Its cool--Just be aware of how hard what Frank is doing. Even though I am sure he is enjoying it, it takes
a lot of work to do the detailed descriptions of these shaves. I am not sure too many people could do this as good as Frank does. On top of that it takes a lot of time away from his personal life I'm sure. I would love to shave with all these razors but there is no way I could eloquently describe the shaves as Frank does.

I figure Frank is doing something he enjoys. I would never be able to use your or Frank’s experience to replicate or predict my own experiences.

I’ve done PAA slant evaluations.
It’s fun.

UPDATED: Efficient Category list.

As you can see the list of razors in the " Efficient Category " has changed slightly as some razors have been added. A lot of these razors with other baseplates on them will be also placed in the " Very Efficient Category " so I thought I'd post it up for your viewing. If a razor is listed in Red it means it's been knocked out by another razor like the Timeless Bronze got knocked out by the ATT Copper Windsor H Plate. How about some input on the next pairing. I'm shaving either late tonight or in the morning so there is plenty of time to get your suggestions in. As always if you have a razor that you think should be in this category that qualifies price wise then please contact me to send it in and I will add it to the list.

Thanks all.

Timeless Bronze OC – Efficient

Timeless SS .95 gap SB - Efficient

Charcoal Goods Brass Level 2 – Efficient

Blackland Blackbird SS SB – Efficient

Wolfman WR1 SS .80 DC - Efficient!

Paradigm 17 4 SB - Efficient

Gillette New Deluxe Big Boy Chromium – Efficient

ATT Copper H plate – Efficient

Gibbs # 14 plus & minus - Efficient

Gibbs # 17 adjustable - Efficient

Top Bottom