What's new

The Wilkinson question

Oh, I must have misunderstood something in the thread and I had it stuck in my head that these were ID'd as German Wilkinsons. Then maybe they're actually made at the Schick factory in Milford. I found some EPA or industry directory stating there are blades manufactured there.

No, you were right. According to my Schick contact, the only Wilkinson Sword DE blades still being produced, are produced in Germany. Again, there are other Wilkinson blades out there, but they're all old stock.

Wilkinson's response:

Dear Rich,

Thanks for your response. Your email now provides me a clearer idea and I should be able to now provide some more clarity. I don’t know if you are aware, but in the US Wilkinson Sword are known as Schick. This goes back to the 1950’s when the two businesses merged to become Schick-Wilkinson Sword. The current business is owned by Energizer Holdings.
The Wilkinson Sword name in the US is owned by Gillette. I don’t know when this goes back to, but it is true. Therefore these are in-fact Gillette blades. To find out more details about the history of this product you are best asking Gillette. I thought these were WS blades, but now as you have mentioned it, these are Gillette.

Thanks

Stewart

A member at the shave den received this email from Wilkinson's.
http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1944

Wilkinson Sword India is also owned by Gillette. It came about when Gillette owned 40% of Swedish Match who owned Wilkinson Sword, the authorities then made Gillette sell their shares before they could finish Wilkinson.

Paul

Paul, that's very odd, as that's completely different than what my Shick-Wilkinson (Energizer) rep has told me. Why would they be able to sell me Wilkinson Sword products if the name was owned by Gillette? I'm scratching me head now.

Wow, this thread keeps getting better. Keep it up, fellows!

So one thing is for sure: all NEW Wilkinson blades are German, and the ones of UK origin are old stock. As for the blue package, the mystery continues...

Wilkinson's response:

Dear Rich,

Thanks for your response. Your email now provides me a clearer idea and I should be able to now provide some more clarity. I don’t know if you are aware, but in the US Wilkinson Sword are known as Schick. This goes back to the 1950’s when the two businesses merged to become Schick-Wilkinson Sword. The current business is owned by Energizer Holdings.
The Wilkinson Sword name in the US is owned by Gillette. I don’t know when this goes back to, but it is true. Therefore these are in-fact Gillette blades. To find out more details about the history of this product you are best asking Gillette. I thought these were WS blades, but now as you have mentioned it, these are Gillette.

Thanks

Stewart

A member at the shave den received this email from Wilkinson's.
http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1944

Wilkinson Sword India is also owned by Gillette. It came about when Gillette owned 40% of Swedish Match who owned Wilkinson Sword, the authorities then made Gillette sell their shares before they could finish Wilkinson.

Paul

I am the member at the Shave Den that received the above email. I've also posted on B&B trying to determine the origin of these blades:

proxy.php

The complete transcript of the email dialogue is copied below:

My first email:
Good Day,
Is anyone able to identify these Wilkinson blades as to country of
manufacture, areas of distribution, etc.?

Wilkinson Sword's Response:
Thanks for your email. I've looked at the picture and these appear to be
the double edge blades. This brand is better known as 'Classic'. Please
see the pictures attached. This product is produced in Germany and is
available in Europe . This might be available in other countries
across the world as well. Which country do you live in?
If you could let me know then I can provide you with more details about
distribution.

Kind Regards,
Stewart

My second email:

Dear Stewart,
Yes, they are double edge blades. I'm in the US and I bought these at a little ethnic (middle eastern) grocery store in Atlantic City . They had been torn off of a display card and the guy was selling them from a plastic bag that he keeps behind the counter. What baffles me is the packaging. I have used Wilkinsons extensively and am familiar with the Classic brand and the way it is packaged. The packaging on these (more pictures below) is unique. I've never seen Wilks with this style of packaging. The blades themselves also look different than the Classic blades with the printing saying "Imported Steel". What baffles me the most, and you can't see this in the pictures, is that on the side of the package it says "Wilkinson Sword & Crossed Swords device is a Trademark of The Gillette Company, USA ". To my knowledge Wilkinson was never owned by Gillette. In fact I always thought they were competitors. Some of my friends on an online shaving forum suggested that these were counterfeit blades possibly pirated and sold as the real thing. Whatever they are they are very good, sharp and smooth shaving blades, better in my opinion than the Wilkinson Classic brand. Any more information you can give me is appreciated.

Wilkinson Sword's response:

Thanks

Stewart

Stewart Lees
Energizer Wilkinson Sword
Email: [email protected]

These Wilks below are made by Wilkinson Sword India (owned by Gillette) they also make Gillette 7 o'clock Platinum. As to your blades Jonathan, maybe they were made before 1990 when the US Wilkinson name was owned by Swedish match or before.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Regards,

Paul

These Wilks below are made by Wilkinson Sword India (owned by Gillette) they also make Gillette 7 o'clock Platinum. As to your blades Jonathan, maybe they were made before 1990 when the US Wilkinson name was owned by Swedish match or before.

Regards,

Paul

Paul - this is a tremendous help. I've looked at the thread in The Shaving Den and that is quite the resource to have for a budding Wilkinson aficionado. The blue pack you show there (with "Classic" on it) matches mine perfectly. So German, probably, with some question as to date packaged and what corporate name the blades came out under.

Actually, the name Wilkinson Sword is owned by Schick in the US.

Hi John or any other Scholled member here...

Do you happen to know what year Wilkinson transfered there manufacturing facility to Germany from the UK..
I happen to have seen some B&W label units from the Mid 90's so I am very curious.

I've not seen the others you picture...Croma looks interesting especially. I'm going to keep an eye out for all these.

Slightly OT, I realize, but the Cromas are reallly nice (and sharp) blades. I get 5 great shaves out of them. They can be gotten here from boardmember dridiot (Jason) in Singapore. He's great to deal with. And among my order (2nd one) are 50 cromas which should be here in about a week.

i think there was a thread saying why brazilians prefere wax,
btw, anyone seen those wilkinson "economie" blades ? usualy come in a plastic blue box,

I picked some of these Wilkinson's up at a local discount shop. My first shave was excellent using a Blue Tip. Today I used the same blade with a Red Tip and wasn't quite as thrilled. I want to test the Red Tip out with a new blade and cycle through that blade to get a true sense. Anyway, as the pics reveal, these are made in Solingen, Germany. A city renown for its legendary knives and swords.

These are what are sold here in Swansea, Wales (centre of the universe)
I have only used a DE razor once (in Gillette Rockett HD, paid a £1 for it today at a car-boot(US=Trunk) sale) I used one of these blades, I usualy use a straight razor or a Rolls, I must say the shave was fine.
I pay 79p(just over a dollar) for a clip of 5.

Top Bottom