What's new

The venerable Old Fashioned - post your favorite recipe!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Of the many, many, cocktails I have had, the Old Fashioned is unique. While most other cocktails find their genesis in Italy or France, the Old Fashioned is unabashedly American. And there are as many ways to make it as there are states in the union; this one cocktail can provide a flavor profile to match any palate.

In this thread we will post our favorite variations of the Great Old fashioned.

opf.jpg

I've been drinking bourbon my entire adult life and have never had an Old Fashioned!
My brother-in-law loves them and makes them often. I shall have to ask him to make me one.

Sugar cube with 2 dashes Angostura bitters muddled with enough water to dissolve the cube
Add ice and 2 oz bourbon
Garnish with orange peel and a cherry
IMG_7984.jpeg
Tonight’s cocktails. She takes orange bitters and an extra sugar cube. Sorry to see the Eagle Rare bottle empty.

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Mine veers from the traditional. A finger of water with a scant teaspoon of turbinado sugar and splashes of Angostura regular and orange bitters. Plunk in a Luxardo cherry and fill the OF glass with cubed ice. Fill to just below the top with desired whiskey. "Sweeten" with more bourbon as desired. I am partial to Knob Creek bourbon or Rittenhouse rye. EW BIB or Old Overholt are fine lower cost substitutes.

My recipe is pretty simple. I add 1/4 oz of agave syrup, three dashes of Angostura orange bitters, and two ounces of Old Overholt bottled in bond rye. Stir with ice in a mixing glass and pour into a chilled glass with a couple of "premium cocktail cherries". Quite good!

I use home made orange liquor (think lemoncello made with orange peel), a brandied cherry, and Wild Turkey 101, or Very Old Barton (my mixing standby). The orange liquor has some bitterness to it, and if I'm feeling frisky I will add a few drops of cherry liquor, also home made.

A little sweetness, some orange essence, and good bourbon, hard to go wrong -- except maybe in drinking too many at one time!

I've sort of drifted away from drinking for the most part...sorry...but in my life I've enjoyed quality spirits in moderation.

One thing I never got down was utilizing the sort of clear high-quality ice (aside from purchased ice) that most people would agree adds immeasurably to the aesthetic of fine spirits or cocktails like an Old Fashioned on the rocks.

I realize there are a number of commercial contraptions for making clear ice, including various shapes (like spheres and cubes) and some DIY ice cooler hacks.

I just tried something easy, and I pass it along as something to try.

The only "gear" one needs is an insulated metal tumbler, like a Yeti or similar.

Fill 3/4 with filtered water. Place in fridge 12 hours or so. Remove from freezer. Thaw a bit. Remove solid disk of clear ice (along with some reclaimable water for the plants.

If you have some insulated tumblers (with straight or slightly flared sides) that are doing nothing but sitting in a cupboard, consider making yourself some easy "gourmet ice cubes" if you don't already have a system.

Nothing lifts the "impression" of a drink quite like clear ice in a nice glass as far as I'm concerned.

The clear ice has been such a treat for various uses, but--despite my relative "dryness"--last night I felt compelled to do a short pour of good bourbon over my clear puck. What a feeling of luxury.

Bill

My wife and I served apple cider old fashioned at our recent get together.
We used apple cider made fresh from her parent's apple trees.
It was a hit!

Ingredients​

• 1/4 cup apple cider
  • 2 ounces good quality bourbon or whiskey
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 3 drops of Angostura orange bitters
  • 1 apple slice, for garnish
  • 1 orange slice, for garnish
  • Cinnamon stick for garnish (optional)

Top Bottom