What's new

The Veg: My Verdict

I don't really have the energy to make this quite as entertaining as my Alt Innsbruck post, so I'll take a more direct path in sharing my thoughts.

I wrestled with the idea of even trying this stuff for a while. I mean, honestly - if it's so distinctly polarizing, why would I even bother? Philosophically, it just doesn't make sense. One of the things I look for in an aftershave is a great scent. If I know this to be true about myself, and I know that Lilac Vegetal is both strongly scented and uniquely divisive, it doesn't make much sense to bother with it.

But it beckons. Something about the legend, or hoping that your own essence - when magnified - will be more like cannon smoke and raw courage than the involuntary bodily reaction to the unexpected appearance thereof. So, I ordered a few samples from Pinaud, and decided to give the Veg its due.

1. The plastic bottle does it no favors. In fact, great disservice. Yet, even out of the plastic, the scent eventually settles. Do not pass judgement on Lilac Vegetal by taking a whiff from the plastic bottle, or even for the first few minutes you wear it. Consequently, decanting to glass makes a big difference in initial impact.

2. Above notwithstanding, this is still a polarizing scent. You may not like it. In fact, my guess is that you won't simply dislike it. If you don't love it, you probably hate it.

3. There is a fairly potent alcohol burn, particularly punishing of poor technique. It's no Alt Innsbruck in this department, but it's strong.

4. It is very, very effective in terms of soothing and toning. I gotta tell you, my skin feels fantastic.

5. You don't wear the Veg to get courage; you were it when you feel courageous. You don't wear it when you wake up feeling like Commodus; you wear it when you wake up feeling like Maximus. And you will have your vengeance.

Closing Thoughts: I'm in the cannon smoke and raw courage camp, gents. This is the stuff of legends. However, I can clearly see how a man could find the scent utterly repugnant. I'm only 28, but 5 years ago, I probably would have been right there with him.

Great review.

The best thing that can happen to the Veg in my opinion is that they go back to the glass bottle.

Come on !!! Bring it back in glass!!! :thumbup:

Glad to hear you like it. My grandmother had a beautiful lilac bush next to her house--it was so big that it was more like a tree. The smell of pure lilac reminds me of that. But that's not how I want to smell. On the other hand, there's something about the the earthy scent of the "vegetal" compounded with the warm floral of the lilac that makes LV work for me.

I still think this is programmed into our dna from when we were territory markers........

It makes scientific sense that there are many males in our society for which some form of expression still exists for marking territory from genes expressed within the olfactory lobe of the brain, so the urine scent is non-offensive. In fact there is a sense of machismo brevity associated with the aroma.....some leftover dna sequence in the gene that remains unexpressed in many.

However, there are others who simply express the genetic mutation that left them without the territory marking instinct, or less of it than in the previously mentioned sample.

It's not even a choice we know we make. Your nose either smells, hence the brain interprets, its instinctual waft of repugnance that our ancestors got in the same presence of territory marking, or you lift your leg high and call yourself Maximus, General Big Daddy, King Kong, or Superman....Me man hear me ROAR!!!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I still think this is programmed into our dna from when we were territory markers........

It makes scientific sense that there are many males in our society for which some form of expression still exists for marking territory from genes expressed within the olfactory lobe of the brain, so the urine scent is non-offensive. In fact there is a sense of machismo brevity associated with the aroma.....some leftover dna sequence in the gene that remains unexpressed in many.

However, there are others who simply express the genetic mutation that left them without the territory marking instinct, or less of it than in the previously mentioned sample.

It's not even a choice we know we make. Your nose either smells, hence the brain interprets, its instinctual waft of repugnance that our ancestors got in the same presence of territory marking, or you lift your leg high and call yourself Maximus, General Big Daddy, King Kong, or Superman....Me man hear me ROAR!!!

Maybe this ties in with the recent post about trace Neanderthal DNA found in modern day man.

Bottom line though....

I don't care why I love it, I just do.

And congrats to the OP on membership in the ever growing Fluorescent Green Army.

Divisive Lilac Vegetal
There is no middle ground at all
It either loves us
Or it don't

Some say that it's beyond compare
Some say it just befouls the air
Some slap it on
And others won't

Does it reflect the inner man
Or the contents of a Sani-Can?
It has supporters and
Detractors in the millions

Some say "guts and cannon smoke"
And others, "A repulsive joke"
But at least it brings more unity
Than Williams.

I just couldnt do the veg. I get the scent of cat urine.

Seriously. My cat had to go to the vet and he gets terrified riding in a car (because it's never for anything good) and peed himself in his carrier. Man did this smell terrible on the way home after it dried in the carrier.

I got the veg a couple weeks ago in a trade. I rubbed a little on my wrist and waited a few minutes and it hit me like a ton of bricks. The pet carrier memory connected with the smell of the veg and from then on I cant stand the stuff.

Sorry guys, just my experience.

The Pinaud Bay Rum on the other hand, is amazing stuff. I use it couple times a week.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I just couldnt do the veg. I get the scent of cat urine.

Seriously. My cat had to go to the vet and he gets terrified riding in a car (because it's never for anything good) and peed himself in his carrier. Man did this smell terrible on the way home after it dried in the carrier.

I got the veg a couple weeks ago in a trade. I rubbed a little on my wrist and waited a few minutes and it hit me like a ton of bricks. The pet carrier memory connected with the smell of the veg and from then on I cant stand the stuff.

Sorry guys, just my experience.

The Pinaud Bay Rum on the other hand, is amazing stuff. I use it couple times a week.

Hey, I'm one of it's biggest fans and I'll admit it isn't for everyone, but then again, what scent is?
If we all liked the same stuff there'd be about 2 posts a day here among the 5 members. :lol:

Maybe this ties in with the recent post about trace Neanderthal DNA found in modern day man.

Bottom line though....

I don't care why I love it, I just do.

And congrats to the OP on membership in the ever growing Fluorescent Green Army.
+1 on that. It is a great day when we can welcome someone into the fold.

Hey, I'm one of it's biggest fans and I'll admit it isn't for everyone, but then again, what scent is?
If we all liked the same stuff there'd be about 2 posts a day here among the 5 members. :lol:

I hear ya. I wasn't trying to trash anyone. My guess is it didnt mix with my skin chemistry very well.

I just couldnt do the veg. ....... I rubbed a little on my wrist.... I cant stand the stuff....... Sorry guys, just my experience.

I think I found your problem... You really have to splash it on to receive full respect from the Veg. Show the Veg you aren't afraid!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I hear ya. I wasn't trying to trash anyone. My guess is it didnt mix with my skin chemistry very well.

Quite right, I just meant that though we all joke here about not being "chosen", it just boils down to what you like.
I kid a lot here about it, but I don't think any worse of someone who doesn't like it than I do someone who doesn't like any other AS.
Thank goodness there are so many to choose from, not liking one particular scent or another still won't put you off your ASAD!

Quite right, I just meant that though we all joke here about not being "chosen", it just boils down to what you like.
I kid a lot here about it, but I don't think any worse of someone who doesn't like it than I do someone who doesn't like any other AS.
Thank goodness there are so many to choose from, not liking one particular scent or another still won't put you off your ASAD!

You just did such a damn good job of selling it, I had to try it :thumbup1:

Top Bottom