What's new

The under $10 restoration challenge.

I would round point it to save as much of the end of the blade as possible. You could do it by hand on some low grit sandpaper if you are unfamiliar with a dremel. That one could clean up quite well.

I keep forgetting, but I'll have a picture up this evening of the one I picked out.

Perfect. Have you thought about how you will cut the blade down?

I haven't decided yet whether I'll go square or round point. I like the look of a square point, but I could easily go either way.

I would round point it to save as much of the end of the blade as possible. You could do it by hand on some low grit sandpaper if you are unfamiliar with a dremel. That one could clean up quite well.

I was considering this also... the length of the blade would be shorter if I went square. Ooh, I know... I'll do this one round and my next chipped resto will be square! :thumbup1:

I borrowed my dad's Dremel yesterday... it's an older model (better than the current models!) and I still have a 220 piece kit from my Alltrade rotary tool that broke on it's 2nd or 3rd use. When I stop buying shaving treasures long enough to save up a little, I'm gonna get a Proxxon from Amazon. I'm also tempted to get a bench grinder from Harbor Freight... they have a sale on a 6" for $55 or an 8" for $75. For that cheap, who cares if it doesn't last as long?

This has got to be the greatest thread ever! MORE PICS!!! Before and after!!! :001_smile I am still waiting with mine, I am still looking for tools. and handle ideas.

I haven't decided yet whether I'll go square or round point. I like the look of a square point, but I could easily go either way.

I was considering this also... the length of the blade would be shorter if I went square. Ooh, I know... I'll do this one round and my next chipped resto will be square! :thumbup1:

I borrowed my dad's Dremel yesterday... it's an older model (better than the current models!) and I still have a 220 piece kit from my Alltrade rotary tool that broke on it's 2nd or 3rd use. When I stop buying shaving treasures long enough to save up a little, I'm gonna get a Proxxon from Amazon. I'm also tempted to get a bench grinder from Harbor Freight... they have a sale on a 6" for $55 or an 8" for $75. For that cheap, who cares if it doesn't last as long?

If you have an Acme Tool in your area, the have a variable speed 8 inch bench grinder for $80. The 1750 speed is a great help for using it as a buffer, particularly with greaseless compound.

Legion

Staff member

OK, Go slow. Always keep the blade spine up in relation to the rotation of the stone. Keep a glass of water beside you and dip regularly to keep it cool. Wear eye protection. Have fun!

First of all.... CRAP! I broke my scales. Was trying to tap the pin out after grinding the head off the pin... got it out of the first scale OK but wasn't careful enough with the 2nd one. Wasn't thinking about the uneven pressure I was applying near the tip. Like I said earlier, I'm a total noob... on top of that I don't do much crafting of any sort! lol

Well, that settles it, I'm going to my Dad's house to borrow his garage full of woodworking powertools this weekend. I'm gonna make me some new scales. *gulp* Wasn't sure if these original black ones were worth saving anyway... and they were kinda boring.

If you have an Acme Tool in your area, the have a variable speed 8 inch bench grinder for $80. The 1750 speed is a great help for using it as a buffer, particularly with greaseless compound.

Nope, I went to their site and they're only in North Dakota, Minnesota, and Iowa. On their website, the cheapest 8" variable speed unit is on sale for $149.99, so I guess it's an in-store special. So... if I shop for one I should get one with variable speed? Does 6" or 8" matter much? (<-- no jokes :hand:)

OK, Go slow. Always keep the blade spine up in relation to the rotation of the stone. Keep a glass of water beside you and dip regularly to keep it cool. Wear eye protection. Have fun!

Well, I finished cutting the tip about an hour ago. It went well, probably because I watched that 12-part straight blade restoration video on YouTube last month. I remembered to go slow and used a rag to dip in a candy dish full of ice water and hold it against the blade when it got warm. That way I didn't have to unclamp it from the vice. I put scrap wood in my table vice, sandwiched the blade sideways so the spine was opposite me and slowly cut from the blade edge towards the spine. No problems since I was so gentle, but the shape is rough and still needs some sanding work. I'm hand sanding the blade now, which I'm finding really fun and relaxing. It's fun to see it go from rusty to shiny by the work of my own hands! :biggrin1:

This has got to be the greatest thread ever! MORE PICS!!! Before and after!!! :001_smile I am still waiting with mine, I am still looking for tools. and handle ideas.

More pics? OK!! I thought about waiting until the end for the shock value, but that's not as inspiring, is it?

Here's right after I removed the scales. YUCK!
proxy.php

Here's before cutting. Wanted to note for myself the design of the original tip:
proxy.php

Here's after I started cutting it:
proxy.php

Here's right after the amputation:
proxy.php

And here's what I'm looking at right now. I might work on the point's shape some more. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

proxy.php

proxy.php

I would just smooth out that pointy part to make it more round and go with that. Looks good so far

Good advice. I went back to the vice & dremel. Here's what I've got now.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

You can see that I reshaped the point a bit while I was at it.

Those ugly vertical scratches are from me taking the dremel with a 120 grit sanding wheel to it before I realized that was dumb. I'm looking forward to sanding them out! Thanks for the advice... keep it coming if you have any more.

Good advice. I went back to the vice & dremel. Here's what I've got now.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

You can see that I reshaped the point a bit while I was at it.

Those ugly vertical scratches are from me taking the dremel with a 120 grit sanding wheel to it before I realized that was dumb. I'm looking forward to sanding them out! Thanks for the advice... keep it coming if you have any more.

WOW much better. If I didnt know better I would say it came like that. Great job there

Oh this is very cool! I currently am more into DE stuff, but I might have to try and find an old straight to mess with... This looks fun.

Well I'll confess I've never actually used a straight before... I collected one earlier this week in anticipation of trying it. But it needed honed, so I ordered a poor man's strop and a barber's hone from Whipped Dog... so I might try straight shaving this weekend. And of course, this project has me very excited. But I'm very much a DE guy right now...

Most all of us straight users were DE guys at one point.

Eventually we did see the light though and made the switch. :lol:

I`m new to this, to the point that I have never used a straight razor, a long time wet shaver and just got into DE shaving a few months ago. I was reading this challenge the other day, and thought I had straight in drawer somewhere. I bought bunch maybe 15 years ago. This one was one of the few that wasn`t chipped on the edge and looked like a good candidate. It is a Henry`s X, Geneva Cutlery Co. Geneva, NY. USA. It may not be worth the effort, or maybe it is a great razor I don`t have a clue, but the price was right. I have another razor with a broken blade and nice scales that seems to be the same size so I thought I would replace the scales with them. The scales I have on this one are badly warped. I do not have any of the small washers so I hope I can reuse the ones I have.

Now the big question the pitting is pretty deep, I`m sure I can sand it down and polish it up, as I work with metal in my day job. My concern is that this is thinner than anything I have worked on, it looks like at least a couple .0001" on each side`, is this going to make the blade too fragile? I would kind of like to finish since I have started and would appreciate your advice. I'm having problems today uploading pictures and organizing things so I hope this works, I have mainly just worked the one side of the blade.

Daryl

Not sure if I can finish one up in the amount of time that's left might not be doable for me (finals and national boards coming up quick) but I have many blades I got for under $10 that I have needed some motivation on restoring, this just might be it! I love watching threads like this...

Now the big question the pitting is pretty deep, I`m sure I can sand it down and polish it up, as I work with metal in my day job. My concern is that this is thinner than anything I have worked on, it looks like at least a couple .0001" on each side`, is this going to make the blade too fragile?

I don't know, but the nice thing is that you've got nothing to lose. Mine has deep pitting too, but I've decided to do whatever it takes to shine it up... and if it's ruined in the process, at least I've gained experience. Maybe someone else here can shed some light on whether the edge being too thin can ruin the shavability...

Not sure if I can finish one up in the amount of time that's left might not be doable for me (finals and national boards coming up quick) but I have many blades I got for under $10 that I have needed some motivation on restoring, this just might be it! I love watching threads like this...

Well, maybe we should have a $10 restoration challenge each month! Then I can adopt a new AD... Junk Straight Acquisition Disorder!

Legion

Staff member
Well, maybe we should have a $10 restoration challenge each month! Then I can adopt a new AD... Junk Straight Acquisition Disorder!
I was just planning on keeping this as an ongoing thing, so anybody who wants to, jump in anytime!

Keep em coming guys. This is great!

On reviewing the original post, I see the challenge gives you one month from when you start, it's not due at the end of *this* month.

I wasn't able to access the tools for making my scales this weekend. I'm hoping to make them either during the week or next weekend. The blade is looking pretty nice, but it will probably keep a few little scars.

Top Bottom