What's new

The 'Thomas Method' - genius or madness?

The 'Thomas Method' - genius or madness?

• Genius

• Madness

• I use the ouch method

Results are only viewable after voting.
I wouldn't call it either, but I don't see much difference in the "Thomas Method" than I do with doing a Str8 shave and using a DE for final pass/cleanup.

This is what I would call the HYBRID METHOD. I really prefer a multi-pass SR shave or simply a fast DE. However, when time is a factor I have touched up with my DE. I don't consider this to be SR heresy. Perhaps it is just the smart thing to do sometimes.

:shaving:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I don't think we're far off the mark. If I want to get a good shave in a hurry, I do a WTG pass with an injector (it's a SE, after all) followed by an ATG pass with a DE. I can get 95% there in a flash.

Of course, this site is about the last 5%.

Exactly. It's that little 5% that is so HUGE.

First it's an ouch free shave, next it's an ouch free site. My days here are numbered.

No worries, your days are not numbered because there will be no such thing as an "Ouch Free" poll!

To the OP's statement it is a maddening genius method shave ... oops!

Being relatively new to this, I do something similar.

Straight edge / WTG for the first 2 passes, followed by a XTG 3rd pass with a MACH 6000 SUX that also gets the patches my new found skill level hasn't mastered.

Yet.

Works pretty well, albeit a bit complicated.

2.5 pass with a straight is all I need.

1st pass chops it down
2nd pass get close shave
2.5 pass get my hand wet and rub residual lather to catch the spots I missed

Havent touched a DE in months. Better shave by a mile.

Last edited:
I can see how this might work. A Schick injector on me is almost too aggressive. It may also be that I am just using crappy CVS blades.

Dial 6 on a Merkur Futur for WTG pass number 1. For me, that's a straight razor (and really scary!)

Then a '56 Gillette across the grain.

Finally a '64 Gilette Adjustable on 2 for ATG finalle.

Feathers in all three, and applying foam for each pass.

Oh, wait - that's a Three Razor Shave isn't it?

More Madness!

Speaking of madness, I went through a phase some years ago where I shaved first with my #66 Aristocrat and then followed up with a straight. My beard is wirey and especially around the goatee area hairs are stiff and grow in odd directions. For me, shaving first off with a straight is misery, but knocking the big stuff down with the DE first makes it easy and I get that unmistakable straight shave. I still have a small collection of straights but just found the care and maintenance is a bit bothersome so now just do a 3 passer with my DE and get great results- but the DE/Straight tactic sure works.

Last edited:
Dial 6 on a Merkur Futur for WTG pass number 1. For me, that's a straight razor (and really scary!)

Then a '56 Gillette across the grain.

Finally a '64 Gilette Adjustable on 2 for ATG finalle.

Feathers in all three, and applying foam for each pass.

Oh, wait - that's a Three Razor Shave isn't it?

More Madness!

I have not tried that with my Futur, but I don't see why it would not work. However, I would just start at 6 WTG, 3 XTG and 2 ATG using my feather blades. I don't see the need for using a different razor when you can simply adjust the Futur?

I will give it a try sometime.

Attachments

• $shaving (1).gif
    $shaving (1).gif
    43.2 KB · Views: 68
I have not tried that with my Futur, but I don't see why it would not work. However, I would just start at 6 WTG, 3 XTG and 2 ATG using my feather blades. I don't see the need for using a different razor when you can simply adjust the Futur?

I will give it a try sometime.
For a moment i thought you meant 6 passes WTG, 3 XTG & 2 ATG.

Come now. Everyone knows the correct sequence is:

• First pass - straight razor
  • Second pass - SE
  • Third pass - DE

Top Bottom