What's new

The 'Thomas Method' - genius or madness?

The 'Thomas Method' - genius or madness?

• Genius

• Madness

• I use the ouch method

Results are only viewable after voting.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I don't get it. Why would a SE be better for the first pass, but not for the second? !

Different razors and blades excel at different tasks, and each pass is just that: a unique set of conditions. An injector is amazing for mowing down a week's worth of growth, but ultimately doesn't get me as close as a DE, which I find to be superior for touchups. I'm pretty sure I know how to handle them both.

Having started using the Gems a lot in the past two months after almost two years of DE shaving, I would reverse the Thomas method. The SE seems milder to me so I would use a Fatboy, Old Type or my EJ89 for the first pass and then go with the SE for the last two passes. Until I tried a GEM with Treet blades, I had no idea what I was missing. It seems that the majority of this forum favors DE razor, and I truly enjoy them ( don't even know how many I have as my collection has grown). If you have never tried a SE, you owe it to yourself to give one a try, and maybe even test out the Thomas method as I plan to do. I have two Gem feather weights that I will PIF to the first two PMs from anyone in the CONUS that has never tried a SE. The only thing that I ask is that if you do not like them, that you will pass them on to someone else to try until they find a home where they are appreciated.

Ptroiani and The Waco Kid are the winners of my stealth PIF.

For me, it seems like too much work. I have both DEs and SEs - not sure which one I like better but I will say this, when I start with one, I am content to finish with that same razor. At present, I am using the Gem 1912 the most. It is a smooth shaver and I really like the way it cuts.

I find myself doing this a lot, but simply because I keep a few razors at a time on the counter. I like the variety, and I feel like I get a better first pass with the SE, then a much smoother, ouch free finish with the DE.

I don't get it. Why would a SE be better for the first pass, but not for the second? Likewise, why would both sides of a DE be better for second passes, but not firsts? Why not just pick one razor, and wield it properly. Its like using Proraso on your chin, Mitchell's Wool Fat on your cheeks, and Barbasol on your sideburns!

Looks like the "DamnFineBob Method" was just created.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I find myself doing this a lot, but simply because I keep a few razors at a time on the counter. I like the variety, and I feel like I get a better first pass with the SE, then a much smoother, ouch free finish with the DE.

First it's an ouch free shave, next it's an ouch free site. My days here are numbered.

I don't get it. Why would a SE be better for the first pass, but not for the second? Likewise, why would both sides of a DE be better for second passes, but not firsts? Why not just pick one razor, and wield it properly. Its like using Proraso on your chin, Mitchell's Wool Fat on your cheeks, and Barbasol on your sideburns!

I'm with DamnFineBob. I don't get it. Seems a little heavy on the OCD side, and I take pills for that!

You will see from my challenge thread that I was using an OCMM (normally considered very aggressive) and a Red Ring with a Feather - the result was a great shave!

Some interesting thoughts and perspectives guys! :)

Nah...the day I start using multiple razors for the same shave will probably be the last day I shave. What next ... different creams or soaps on each pass, multiple balms for different facial zones? It would drive me nuts

I guess it is not too different than newbee's using a straight razor for the easy spots and finishing with their DE razor?

Well I did suggest that it would be controversial and it has certainly proven to be the case.

With respect though I do think that using two razors, of whatever kind, is a little different to suggesting using multiple soaps/creams. The latter is about getting a consistent and quality glide etc whereas using two different razors with different characteristics will produce a different overall result. Not too dissimilar as some have suggested to using an adjustable on different settings for different passes.

Good to hear people's thoughts!

I wouldn't say that it is controversial, just a little unusual.

+3 on the "if it works for you, go for for it".

Seriously, everyone knows that Barbasol is chin only.

Hey I use something like this method--I make one pass with a SE, flip the blade, then make a second pass. Same as shaving with a DE blade.

I would say "silly". Why would I do that when I get daily BBS shaves with any of 10 different DE razors 4 different blades?

Top Bottom