What's new

THE THIN BLUE SMOKE THREAD XII

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Jim, Grillers/Smokers & Carnivores (...that's me below when I'm hungry for beef):
proxy.php
Did you know you can make great Brisket in your oven (I, on the other hand haven't smoked one in years)?

By C.A. Pinkham -Daily Meal -|Jan. 29, 2024

"The Smoky Tip For Cooking A Perfect Brisket In Your Oven"

"When it comes to barbecue, brisket is in a class all of its own. There's a reason it's known as the king of smoked barbecue meats: Not only is it tasty, but it's particularly challenging to perfect even for experienced pit masters. Many people who don't like brisket just haven't had a particularly good one, since cooking it well is such a heavy lift. Given its difficulty, you'd think that anything short of optimal conditions would make achieving an A+ brisket impossible. Surely an expensive smoker and some high-grade tools are needed, right?

proxy.php

Wrong. You can cook a brisket in the oven and have it come out really well; you just need to follow some crucial steps. You might think this involves special temperatures or complicated cooking techniques, but it doesn't. Instead, the real key comes down to techniques that can give your brisket a signature smoked taste despite the fact there's not actually any smoked wood involved in oven-baking one.

Smoked paprika is one trick to achieving a smoky oven brisket. :thumbsup:

proxy.php

There are some things you should not do with brisket (for example, grilling one is a huge no-no). And so it goes with smoking a brisket in the oven: You can't just throw it in there, turn it on, and expect your meat to come out delicious. But the key difference here relative to a smoker isn't the temperature or even the timing — you're still cooking it low and slow, the way all briskets should be cooked to let its connective tissue break down.

Instead, there's one big obvious difference: Your brisket isn't going to taste smoked if you don't use a smoker since there's no burning wood involved.

While you can't make your oven use wood (nor should you try), there are ways to impart smokiness on oven-cooked food that don't require actual smoking and burning wood. The first is using a specific spice: And that's smoked paprika instead of regular paprika. Smoked paprika brings a savory barbecue flavor to any dish it's used in, and honestly, it's pretty difficult (although certainly not impossible) to over-season with it. But that's also hardly the only method here".

Read More: Smoked Brisket In The Oven Tip

1705353356682-gif.1780538
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the [brisket]". Aristotle

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Jim, Grillers/Smokers & Carnivores (...that's me below when I'm hungry for beef):
proxy.php
Did you know you can make great Brisket in your oven (I, on the other hand haven't smoked one in years)?

By C.A. Pinkham -Daily Meal -|Jan. 29, 2024

"The Smoky Tip For Cooking A Perfect Brisket In Your Oven"

"When it comes to barbecue, brisket is in a class all of its own. There's a reason it's known as the king of smoked barbecue meats: Not only is it tasty, but it's particularly challenging to perfect even for experienced pit masters. Many people who don't like brisket just haven't had a particularly good one, since cooking it well is such a heavy lift. Given its difficulty, you'd think that anything short of optimal conditions would make achieving an A+ brisket impossible. Surely an expensive smoker and some high-grade tools are needed, right?

proxy.php

Wrong. You can cook a brisket in the oven and have it come out really well; you just need to follow some crucial steps. You might think this involves special temperatures or complicated cooking techniques, but it doesn't. Instead, the real key comes down to techniques that can give your brisket a signature smoked taste despite the fact there's not actually any smoked wood involved in oven-baking one.

Smoked paprika is one trick to achieving a smoky oven brisket. :thumbsup:

proxy.php

There are some things you should not do with brisket (for example, grilling one is a huge no-no). And so it goes with smoking a brisket in the oven: You can't just throw it in there, turn it on, and expect your meat to come out delicious. But the key difference here relative to a smoker isn't the temperature or even the timing — you're still cooking it low and slow, the way all briskets should be cooked to let its connective tissue break down.

Instead, there's one big obvious difference: Your brisket isn't going to taste smoked if you don't use a smoker since there's no burning wood involved.

While you can't make your oven use wood (nor should you try), there are ways to impart smokiness on oven-cooked food that don't require actual smoking and burning wood. The first is using a specific spice: And that's smoked paprika instead of regular paprika. Smoked paprika brings a savory barbecue flavor to any dish it's used in, and honestly, it's pretty difficult (although certainly not impossible) to over-season with it. But that's also hardly the only method here".

Read More: Smoked Brisket In The Oven Tip

1705353356682-gif.1780538
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the [brisket]". Aristotle

SACRALIGE!

Git a rope.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
SACRALIGE!

Git a rope.

Such an egregious offense requires tar and feathers first!
Simon1 & nlife:
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa...a thousand pardons my friends...
proxy.php

proxy.php
BTW..."I don't always do brisket, but when I do...I always use a smoker. Stay hungry my friends".

proxy.php
“Always tell the truth about your [brisket]. Then you don’t have to remember anything. Mark Twain

Last edited:
I made up another batch belly bacon the other day. This one turned out really nice!

Cold smoked for 3 hours with cherry wood then finished at 132f.

20240130_183328.jpg

Partial freeze and then thick slice.

20240131_125340.jpg

Of course, I had to sample some before making individual packs! I cooked this on cookie sheets in the oven. This was the second time I've ever tried this. Turns out pretty damn good actually.

20240131_130753.jpg

Oh, and I made 6.6kg of pepperoni.

20240201_194247.jpg

This is only my second post - and I am on a mission to get to 10 so I can send a PM about a BST listing. I saw one of the last posts in this thread about brisket in the oven, as well as the (understandable) scoffing at the idea which followed. Since I need to make posts, I thought maybe I could add an even more cringe-worthy method for brisket. My username is Firemonkey because I am always playing with fire - usually in a grill, but often in a firepit as well. I've got some street red in some grilling circles, and Ive cooked plenty off brisket on my grills (Komodo Kamado and BGEs) but this is how I do them now:

Sous Vide.

There, I said it. I hear you all scoffing through your keyboards, but sous vide is PERFECT for brisket - at least the heavy lifting portion of the cook - the long, moist, slow cooking that makes them actually edible. The key is to finish them properly over fire.

Here are some pictures of a brisket which spent about 36 hours hot-tubbing in the sous vide at 153 degrees. Seasoned with salt, pepper, a little thyme and rosemary in the bag with it. After the 36 hours I took it out and put the still sealed bag in the fridge for a few days til the weather was right and I felt like cooking it. Thats another bonus to this method - convenience.

When I was ready, I took it out of the bag, and put it over my firepit to get some bark and the necessary smoke/fire flavor. Yeah, I know...it sounds horrendous - but I swear it makes the best. damn. brisket. It's my preferred method for making them now. And as a bonus, with a little pre-planning, since it only takes a few hours on the fire, it makes a great reason to get some friends together for an afternoon of adult beverages around a fire!

Here are some pictures for the non-believers:

IMG_3465.jpeg

IMG_3472.jpeg

I know what you're saying... That looks dry. But that's just the bark after 3-4 hours over a fire. Remember, this thing cooked in its own juices, sealed in a bag for a day and a half. Here the situation after slicing:

IMG_3476.jpeg

And here is a short video of how much juice comes running out of it after slicing:

Sure, you lose the visual of a smoke ring, but you gain a foolproof outcome with much less effort and a lot more fun hanging around the fire for an afternoon vs wondering if your temp controller is going to wake you up at night because your grill is running too hot or low on lump. If you've got a circulator for sous vide - try it! And if you don't have a firepit you can cook on just finish it in the grill at about 350 direct for a couple hours.

now, I am off to make 8 more posts while you guys fire up your flame cannons.

This is only my second post - and I am on a mission to get to 10 so I can send a PM about a BST listing. I saw one of the last posts in this thread about brisket in the oven, as well as the (understandable) scoffing at the idea which followed. Since I need to make posts, I thought maybe I could add an even more cringe-worthy method for brisket. My username is Firemonkey because I am always playing with fire - usually in a grill, but often in a firepit as well. I've got some street red in some grilling circles, and Ive cooked plenty off brisket on my grills (Komodo Kamado and BGEs) but this is how I do them now:

Sous Vide.

There, I said it. I hear you all scoffing through your keyboards, but sous vide is PERFECT for brisket - at least the heavy lifting portion of the cook - the long, moist, slow cooking that makes them actually edible. The key is to finish them properly over fire.

Here are some pictures of a brisket which spent about 36 hours hot-tubbing in the sous vide at 153 degrees. Seasoned with salt, pepper, a little thyme and rosemary in the bag with it. After the 36 hours I took it out and put the still sealed bag in the fridge for a few days til the weather was right and I felt like cooking it. Thats another bonus to this method - convenience.

When I was ready, I took it out of the bag, and put it over my firepit to get some bark and the necessary smoke/fire flavor. Yeah, I know...it sounds horrendous - but I swear it makes the best. damn. brisket. It's my preferred method for making them now. And as a bonus, with a little pre-planning, since it only takes a few hours on the fire, it makes a great reason to get some friends together for an afternoon of adult beverages around a fire!

Here are some pictures for the non-believers:

View attachment 1817267
View attachment 1817268

I know what you're saying... That looks dry. But that's just the bark after 3-4 hours over a fire. Remember, this thing cooked in its own juices, sealed in a bag for a day and a half. Here the situation after slicing:

View attachment 1817269

And here is a short video of how much juice comes running out of it after slicing:

Sure, you lose the visual of a smoke ring, but you gain a foolproof outcome with much less effort and a lot more fun hanging around the fire for an afternoon vs wondering if your temp controller is going to wake you up at night because your grill is running too hot or low on lump. If you've got a circulator for sous vide - try it! And if you don't have a firepit you can cook on just finish it in the grill at about 350 direct for a couple hours.

now, I am off to make 8 more posts while you guys fire up your flame cannons.

I’ve had SV brisket and it was great!

Love your grilling gear by the way, I look forward to seeing more drool-worthy pics 😍

Chicken

Mixed butter and my family's famous BBQ rub and rubbed that under the skin and on top of the skin. Then slow smoked with northern pecan on the Komodo.

Was pretty good and really juicy.

Forgot to take pictures.

Top Bottom