What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread VII- BBQ at the B&B 2015

I just picked up a vision komodo smoker/grill from home depot.
I was trying to save a little money so I went with the vision at depot instead of the big green egg.
Thoughts?

I think you'll be very happy with the vision. I don't see a large difference in quality between it and the BGE.

Can't wait to see some pics of the goodness that comes off of it Brian :thumbup:

I was trying to save a little money so I went with the vision at depot instead of the big green egg.
Thoughts?

You made a good choice. I have no experience with the BGE, but the Vision has been my Ceramic since 2011.

All the smoking and a lot of the meals I post are made on it. Use the extra $500+ you saved and buy some meat and accessories.

In my opinion, you did good.

Ahhhhhh! I was pretty confident being that it had well over 200 great reviews, but checking in here is always good too!
We have a BGE at my firehouse and the meals I've had from it finally got me to break and pick up a ceramic lined smoker.
I can't wait until it arrives!

Thanks for your response!!

Thoughts?

I think you'll be very happy with the vision. I don't see a large difference in quality between it and the BGE.

Can't wait to see some pics of the goodness that comes off of it Brian :thumbup:

I can't wait!

Ahhhhhh! I was pretty confident being that it had well over 200 great reviews, but checking in here is always good too!
We have a BGE at my firehouse and the meals I've had from it finally got me to break and pick up a ceramic lined smoker.
I can't wait until it arrives!

Thanks for your response!!
They have very good Customer Service and are quite active on FB with information, recipes, tips, contests etc.

I did some wings on my BGE today. I have a few days off work and my three daughters were asking for chicken wings. I was a bit lazy today, so it was a simple prep and cook. Seasoned the wings with some all-purpose BBQ seasoning by Weber, 350*F for twenty minutes per side, direct heat on my Woo Ring gizmo (raised grid). I tossed a couple of hickory chunks in the fire for flavour. Once off the grill, into a large bowl with some chipotle BBQ sauce. Simple, but tasty.

$image.jpg

I've never used a "chimney" to start the charcoal. I've always used the electric element starter that came with my BGE. I've watched guys use the chimney on TV and it just looks fun to use!!!

Lighting the chimney is one of the funnest parts of grillin to me, because I know good food is coming soon [emoji106]
I've started to use it a but more lately, especially when it's windy outside and the blowtorch keeps getting extinguished. I don't have an electric starter or option on my grill.

It is actually lots of fun and works to get the lump super hot.
Thanks. The wings are just as good the next day crisped up in the oven. Maybe even a tad better that way...
I usually make enough for leftover lunch the next day and crisp them up in the work toaster oven.
I've never used a "chimney" to start the charcoal. I've always used the electric element starter that came with my BGE. I've watched guys use the chimney on TV and it just looks fun to use!!!
You need one! For $10-15, they are a good investment.

Here are my S&P wings tossed in sesame oil, garlic and chives that I heated up near the end of the cook. A side of Greek Salad and garlic bread to keep the kids happy. I threw some Cherry wood on to give them a bit of smokey flavor.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1433890538044.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1433890538044.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 43
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1433890592323.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1433890592323.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 43
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1433890643877.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1433890643877.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Chopped brisket, sliced brisket, and sausage sammich.
Slaw and onions and pickles.
Shore is delish

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 41
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

martym

I agree ceptin the slaw was vinegar based and I am a mayo based slaw guy. So just in case I left it on the side. It was good though.

martym

I bought it to go. Within 3 miles of my house are three BBQ joints. I was picking up meds and saw a thin blue line of smoke and thought I smelled heaven so I followed the smoke trail. Seeing as I am the only one home until 2100.........
marty

I bought it to go. Within 3 miles of my house are three BBQ joints. I was picking up meds and saw a thin blue line of smoke and thought I smelled heaven so I followed the smoke trail. Seeing as I am the only one home until 2100.........
marty
Ah....makes more sense. I thought you cooked that one.

But I agree, that slaw needs to go right in the sandwich. We did a poppyseed slaw with pork one time, it was delicious.

I must say, those basic hamburger bums are the best for pork.

martym

Ah....makes more sense. I thought you cooked that one.

But I agree, that slaw needs to go right in the sandwich. We did a poppyseed slaw with pork one time, it was delicious.

I must say, those basic hamburger bums are the best for pork.

You missed it! The title of my "entry"

The buns were greasy and awesome on my sammich. The next time I get one I promise that the slaw will be a part of it

Top Bottom